Player Discussion Matt Grzelcyk

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I'm fine if I never see Gryz again in a Bruins uniform. I'm no fan. But the winning goal had nothing to do with being outmuscled. He gets his hip in on Tavares, keeps him outside and prevents him cutting across on his forehand which is what Tavares is really trying to do.

The issue is Gryz just doesn't have the reach/length to cut off the one-handed pass back through the slot.

Then the Charlie's got caught puck-watching (look where their eyes are at the 5 second mark) and simply don't pick up Knies coming in the backdoor.

If we are assigning blame it's 90% on the Charlie's and 10% on Gryz.

Tavares beat Gryz first in a foot race then Gryz bounced off of him when trying to knock him off the puck. That plays on Gryz.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Never said that. I said he wasn't outmuscled. You're right, he's a half second late pivoting towards Tavares and that had an impact on the play. If he pivots at the right time, he's more in front of Tavares and maybe be diffuses the pass across. But it has nothing to do with Tavares outmuscling him or whatever.

Bottom line is that play is on the two Bruins focused on the puck. If I was the D-man in that situation and the coach tried to pin the majority or all of the blame on me, I'd tell him to go ^^%&& himself.

Would you post the video where Tavares beats Gryz inside and cuts across the front of the net?
Fair enough. It was very poorly played from start to finish though. As a result of taking a wrong angle and missing a step, Gryz put himself in a position where he HAD to try and outmuscle Tavares, which of course he could not.

Gryz was overmatched by playoff hockey. Much like the two egregious turnovers in our end within the first 7 minutes of the game -- both of which resulted in extended zone time for Toronto and the need for Swayman to bail us out. Talk about letting an opponent on death row have legitimate hope.

I like Gryz -- he's a nice kid. But he is not a playoff defender. That much should have been learned last year with finality. Of course last night shows me that Montgomery learned absolutely nothing last year. Not a single thing.

When he left the house yesterday, and Mrs. Montgomery I'm sure said "don't f*** around with anything this year Jim, remember Florida", he should have said "yes dear" and done his job. If he had, he'd be picking up the accolades for closing out Toronto in 5 like he should have.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This guy sucks cant wait for him to be off the team. I'm sure Donny will extend him this summer though.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Fair enough. It was very poorly played from start to finish though. As a result of taking a wrong angle and missing a step, Gryz put himself in a position where he HAD to try and outmuscle Tavares, which of course he could not.

Gryz was overmatched by playoff hockey. Much like the two egregious turnovers in our end within the first 7 minutes of the game -- both of which resulted in extended zone time for Toronto and the need for Swayman to bail us out. Talk about letting an opponent on death row have legitimate hope.

I like Gryz -- he's a nice kid. But he is not a playoff defender. That much should have been learned last year with finality. Of course last night shows me that Montgomery learned absolutely nothing last year. Not a single thing.

When he left the house yesterday, and Mrs. Montgomery I'm sure said "don't f*** around with anything this year Jim, remember Florida", he should have said "yes dear" and done his job. If he had, he'd be picking up the accolades for closing out Toronto in 5 like he should have.

I certainly did not want him back in the series. I do not want him back next year. I just can't out of principal fault him too much on that particular play. Two other defenders got caught puck-watching and if your check doesn't have the puck, you need to be aware where your check is. No different than last year's Game 7 winner. Marchand is gassed, becomes focused on the puck and loses sight of Verhaeghe. At the end of the day, whose check scored the goal? That's where the blame mostly lies.

I said this after Game 1 or 2 that Gryz's skating ability peaked about 5 years ago. He's no longer as mobile as he was, at that played a part on the winning goal.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
He was overpowered right from the get go. He made two extremely poor turnovers in his own zone on each of his first two shifts. The result was the Bruins got hemmed in their own zone for substantial periods of time at the very beginning of the game. I believe that gave Toronto life and made the Bruins, for some reason, play nervous.
This is such an important point. Because the +/- cultists will see that it was Carlo/Lindholm that were scored on? But Grizz helped set the tone for the Leafs. Doesn't excuse the rest of the team throughout the game, but it's an example of how stats don't always tell the full story.

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022
#1 reason why Gryz should not have been in the lineup:

He's 5'9" 180 pounds.

Easy for Tavares to overpower him on that OT play. He's the Bruins weak link. Gryz doesn't scare anyone. Quite the opposite, the Leafs are putting the puck over on his side.

Easy playbook. Tavares, Reaves, Mathews etc can pound his ass all day long. I hate small defenseman. I don't care what the analytics say, I know what my eyes tell me after watching hockey for 50 years. Gryz is a border line 3rd pair defenseman and is a major liability. Bruins are not winning anything with him in the lineup. Screw his dad in the "bull gang". I don't care.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
#1 reason why Gryz should not have been in the lineup:

He's 5'9" 180 pounds.

Easy for Tavares to overpower him on that OT play. He's the Bruins weak link. Gryz doesn't scare anyone. Quite the opposite, the Leafs are putting the puck over on his side.

Easy playbook. Tavares, Reaves, Mathews etc can pound his ass all day long. I hate small defenseman. I don't care what the analytics say, I know what my eyes tell me after watching hockey for 50 years. Gryz is a border line 3rd pair defenseman and is a major liability. Bruins are not winning anything with him in the lineup. Screw his dad in the "bull gang". I don't care.

That's the most frustrating part IMO, we've seen an offensive D who is Gryz's size play bigger and be a big factor in the playoffs in the 5'9/190lb Krug. It's not about size its about heart

Reactions: Carlon Brando

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I certainly did not want him back in the series. I do not want him back next year. I just can't out of principal fault him too much on that particular play. Two other defenders got caught puck-watching and if your check doesn't have the puck, you need to be aware where your check is. No different than last year's Game 7 winner. Marchand is gassed, becomes focused on the puck and loses sight of Verhaeghe. At the end of the day, whose check scored the goal? That's where the blame mostly lies.

I said this after Game 1 or 2 that Gryz's skating ability peaked about 5 years ago. He's no longer as mobile as he was, at that played a part on the winning goal.

That goal is all on McAvoy.

Gryz stopped Taveras from getting to the front of the net. Shot didn't even get to Swayman. Our numero uno defenseman was oblivious to his top responsibility, taking the only Leafs player in the play.

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
That's the most frustrating part IMO, we've seen an offensive D who is Gryz's size play bigger and be a big factor in the playoffs in the 5'9/190lb Krug. It's not about size its about heart
The only way to guarantee he doesn't play is for Sweeney to cut him......just kidding of course.....kinda 🤔

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY

Gryz stopped Taveras from getting to the front of the net. Shot didn't even get to Swayman. Our numero uno defenseman was oblivious to his top responsibility, taking the only Leafs player in the play.
I want Gryz gone as much as anyone but he kept Tavares from the front of the net and limited him to a one handed backhand desperation play at a bad angle. Was it perfect defense? No, but it was good enough. The Charlies fell asleep in front.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

It was the winger (Knies) who scored. Coyle as the C should have the 3rd man high he looks back briefly before becoming focused on the puck. McAvoy looks to be the man who lost his check on Knies as the D should of had the first man to the net. That play by Tavares is a complete hope-and-pray type of play. Once Gryz takes away the inside, it's a one-handed backhand shovel pass to no one in particular hoping it gets through. Unfortunately it does.

Not trying to make excuses for McAvoy but he was almost at 30 mins last night and when Carlo didn't come out for the OT, their down to 1 right-shot D-man. He didn't play the entire OT but played a lot of it. A large part of mistakes made by puck watching has fatigue as the root cause. Once again, see Marchand, Brad, Game 7 2023.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
This is such an important point. Because the +/- cultists will see that it was Carlo/Lindholm that were scored on? But Grizz helped set the tone for the Leafs. Doesn't excuse the rest of the team throughout the game, but it's an example of how stats don't always tell the full story.

That's BS.

Carlo iced the puck when he was 2 feet from the red line for icing. Bruins lose the ensuing faceoff clean, Leafs get it to McCabe alone at the point and he shoots one through a 6-man screen.

How the hell can anyone twist that into something about Grizz.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It was the winger (Knies) who scored. Coyle as the C should have the 3rd man high he looks back briefly before becoming focused on the puck. McAvoy looks to be the man who lost his check on Knies as the D should of had the first man to the net. That play by Tavares is a complete hope-and-pray type of play. Once Gryz takes away the inside, it's a one-handed backhand shovel pass to no one in particular hoping it gets through. Unfortunately it does.

Not trying to make excuses for McAvoy but he was almost at 30 mins last night and when Carlo didn't come out for the OT, their down to 1 right-shot D-man. He didn't play the entire OT but played a lot of it. A large part of mistakes made by puck watching has fatigue as the root cause. Once again, see Marchand, Brad, Game 7 2023.

But not with Charlie. He can get lost in coverage because of puck watching on the opening shift just as easily as in OT.

Granted, McAvoy needs to play too much, much like Bourque had to do. Though Ray was really ridden into exhaustion way too often. But that's part of being the big-time defenseman.

One has to think that if that was Bergeron instead of Coyle, that play doesn't finish in a goal.

Reactions: BruinDust

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

No way look at the beginning of the play. Gryz got beat by Tavares “speed” initially, he pivoted late. Then watch Tavares angle heading towards the net Tavares got exactly where he wanted to be he cut right through where Gryz was trying to win the space.

Those back to back mistakes put Tavares in a great place which ultimately lead to the goal.

Reactions: Number8

False Start

May 8, 2018
Like it or not, he absolutely contributed to our only goal of the game.

I actually did a double take. One of our defenseman took a breakout pass and got the puck deep after skating with the puck. Which actually led to the goal.

Crazy right? In a game we were completely out chanced in the first period, our puck moving defenseman moved the puck which led to a goal.

No, Forbort and Wotherspoon probably don't make that play.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic

I actually did a double take. One of our defenseman took a breakout pass and got the puck deep after skating with the puck. Which actually led to the goal.

Crazy right? In a game we were completely out chanced in the first period, our puck moving defenseman moved the puck which led to a goal.

5 year $4.75M incoming because of a pass up the ice.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Tavares beat Gryz first in a foot race then Gryz bounced off of him when trying to knock him off the puck. That plays on Gryz.
The play is on Monty for putting him out there and Maybe Sweeney for finding a replacement for him.........

Reactions: Yeti34

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
But not with Charlie. He can get lost in coverage because of puck watching on the opening shift just as easily as in OT.

Granted, McAvoy needs to play too much, much like Bourque had to do. Though Ray was really ridden into exhaustion way too often. But that's part of being the big-time defenseman.

One has to think that if that was Bergeron instead of Coyle, that play doesn't finish in a goal.

I don't take issue with riding your top D-man (D-men) hard. Comes with the territory. But it has it's drawbacks.

Coyle I think plays it right in the sense he looks back once and sees Nylander covering the right point. Looks again and sees Lybushkin whose cutting back to retake his point position. He knows that its Nylander who will start moving closer to the net but he knows he has time. The screw up to me is he lets that puck get past him and doesn't get a stick on it. He knows where his check is. Bergeron probably doesn't let that puck get past him but I also feel Coyle has been rode very hard this season and not having a reliable defensively 4th liner C for much of the year put a lot of hard work in his lap.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa

Gryz got a pass and dumped in the puck from the red line lol. Every single NHL dman could have made that play.

• Haha
Reactions: bme44

False Start

May 8, 2018
I don't take issue with riding your top D-man (D-men) hard. Comes with the territory. But it has it's drawbacks.

Coyle I think plays it right in the sense he looks back once and sees Nylander covering the right point. Looks again and sees Lybushkin whose cutting back to retake his point position. He knows that its Nylander who will start moving closer to the net but he knows he has time. The screw up to me is he lets that puck get past him and doesn't get a stick on it. He knows where his check is. Bergeron probably doesn't let that puck get past him but I also feel Coyle has been rode very hard this season and not having a reliable defensively 4th liner C for much of the year put a lot of hard work in his lap.
Are we riding our 1-2 centers too hard defensively to the point where they have been useless on offense?

2 assists each.

Pasta looks pissed that his teammates can't keep up. One or two nice passes from Zacha here and there don't make up for the rest of the night where Pasta is playing 1 vs 5 it seems.

Coyle, not sure why he hasn't produced next to our leading scorer and our 2nd leading scorer.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Gryz got a pass and dumped in the puck from the red line lol. Every single NHL dman could have made that play.
He also accomplished 2-3 bad turnovers because of a forecheck that caused significant zone time for the Leafs in each of his first two shifts of the game.

He also let arguably the worst Leaf skater outside of Reaves outmuscle him on the play in OT. While it wasn't completely his fault, he still didn't do a good job.

False Start

May 8, 2018

Absolutely untrue. Jack and Brick gave him his props for making that play, when no one else seemed capable. We kept icing the puck in fact for a lot of this game.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

I have a feeling Bergeron reads that play and immediately yells, "Charlie, get your f'in man!".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad