NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
you HAVE that extra second in junior though. in the NHL you dont,.

That's where the scouts earn their money.

Does a kid take that extra second or two, in order to slow down the play so he can take control on the ice....or is he doing that because he has a slower processor in his brain? I'm not savvy enough watching the kids to tell the difference. Hopefully our scouts can.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So much of his points seem to come from plays that would never work in the NHL consistently. Obviously a very skilled player but even the worst NHLers are able to stop one on ones on a consistent basis. now add that Quinn is not a tremendously fast/explosive skater so that even if he beats a guy with his hands hell struggle to create the separation as there will be two other guys breathing down his neck.

I see the upside but i also see how his game could be neutered at the next level pretty easily.
I agree with just about everything you’ve said in these last couple posts on Quinn

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
Interesting. I totally see pro skills in Quinn. Patience and just great timing of when to shoot and when to wait. Nothing works in the pros like it does in junior, but I feel is exceptional puck skills combined with those instincts will translate, at minimum, to a servicable scorer in the NHL ala Hoffman (better puck skills and instincts, not quite the skater). I've chatted with a few 67's D this year (who billet with friends) and they have both said Quinn's individual skills and instincts with the puck are best they have faced in practice by a fair margin.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
His skating is good for juniors but for the NHL level its going to be hard when almost everyone is a good skater and bigger. I think Rossi's game translates better as he utilizes his vision a lot more than his ability to beat players one on one. Almost no player aside from McDavid can consistently beat players one on one in the NHL. So a player who is undersized and a non elite skater is gonna run into a ton of problems trying to convert that skill from juniors.

Not that I think he is a one trick pony. I do agree that Quinn has a good shot as well as good goal scoring instincts but those alone don't make for good goalscorers at the NHL level.

He isnt undersized.... He is 6'1 with terrific range. There are many similarities to both Pastrnak and Marner in Quinns game.

Interesting. I totally see pro skills in Quinn. Patience and just great timing of when to shoot and when to wait. Nothing works in the pros like it does in junior, but I feel is exceptional puck skills combined with those instincts will translate, at minimum, to a servicable scorer in the NHL ala Hoffman (better puck skills and instincts, not quite the skater). I've chatted with a few 67's D this year (who billet with friends) and they have both said Quinn's individual skills and instincts with the puck are best they have faced in practice by a fair margin.

Yeah this is what the scouts see too. Its fairly obvious if you watch the player enough.

Marner was a better skater + puck handler imo and more importantly way better vision + hockey IQ, i don't think they are similar players at all. I think someone like Jeff Skinner would be a better comparable. and i have watched a couple 67 games, not a ton admittedly. I do agree with him being a strong two way player and forechecker, he is remarkably tenacious and has decent poise around the net.

You cant say he is a comparable to Jeff Skinner then the next sentence acknowledge his two way play, it doesnt make sense. He is a better skater than Skinner no doubt, he can change directions seamlessly while carrying the puck. . His scoring ability translates better to the next level than Rossi, he can make high end individual plays, he also finds the soft spots incredibly well. Quinn has elite skills that can beat NHL defenders. I have watched over 20 67's games live with the goaltending coach for most of them. Right from the coaching staff Quinn is the best natural athlete on the team. They can see him get better daily, his game is growing at an exponential rate.

Last edited:

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
He isnt undersized.... He is 6'1 with terrific range. There are many similarities to both Pastrnak and Marner in Quinns game.

Yeah this is what the scouts see too. Its fairly obvious if you watch the player enough.

You cant say he is a comparable to Jeff Skinner then the next sentence acknowledge his two way play, it doesnt make sense. Hhe is a better skater than Skinner no doubt, he can change directions seamlessly while carrying the puck. . His scoring ability translates better to the next level than Rossi, he can make high end individual plays, he also finds the soft spots incredibly wwell. Quinn has elite skills that can beat NHL defenders. I have watched over 20 67's games live with the goaltending coach for most of them. Right from the coaching staff Quinn is the best natural athlete on the team. They can see him get better daily, his game is growing at an exponential rate.
Skinner is one of the best skaters in the NHL, and can do exactly what you described. I’m not comparing the two as I don’t know much about Quinn at all. Just commenting on that.

Reactions: innocent bystander

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I've been raving about Raymond's dynamic offensive ability, so while I was watching some tape I figured I'd try tracking his dekes. Obviously hockey is a very fast and chaotic sport so there was some subjectivity involved, and I'm sure I missed some. There has to be some aspect of a one on one (or one on multiple) challenge that includes deceptive stick and/or skating maneuvres. I don't include puck protect moves or just trying to beat guys to the outside with his speed. Looking for maneuvers that would be considered "dekes" in some sense. I just picked a few games to track in random order. Unfortunately it only occurred to me to start linking the clips after the first few games.

2018 Hilinkas - 8/13 in 3 games

vs. Slovakia - 5/6

vs. Switzerland - 3/3

semi-final vs. Russia - 0/4

2019 IIHF U18s - 7/11 in 3 games

quarterfinal vs. Czechs - 3/4

0/1

1/2

3/4 - I count two successful dekes on this sequence

semifinal vs. Canada - 0/2

Canada vs Sweden | SEMIFINAL | 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship | Full Game
0/1

Canada vs Sweden | SEMIFINAL | 2019 IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship | Full Game
0/2

final vs Russia - 4/5

Sweden vs Russia | GOLD MEDAL GAME | 2019 IIHF U18 World Championship | Full Game
0/1

Sweden vs Russia | GOLD MEDAL GAME | 2019 IIHF U18 World Championship | Full Game
1/2 - holy shit

2/3

3/4

4/5

2019/'20 SHL season - 4/5 in 3 games

vs. Rögle - none

vs. Linköping - 2/2

vs. Djurgården - 2/3

Reactions: bert and ijif

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Skinner is one of the best skaters in the NHL, and can do exactly what you described. I’m not comparing the two as I don’t know much about Quinn at all. Just commenting on that.

Skinner's skating always seemed overhyped to me. Not that he isn't great but always left me expecting more.

Anyways, back on topic, I'd love to get Quinn but i think he's likely to land between our 2nd and 3rd first.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Skinner has amazing edgework his stride is aweful. Choppy and short, while Quinn moves in a very fluid manner like Turris or Marner.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Skinner's skating always seemed overhyped to me. Not that he isn't great but always left me expecting more.

Anyways, back on topic, I'd love to get Quinn but i think he's likely to land between our 2nd and 3rd first.

I think you will see the sens do everything in their power to trade up to get him with the Islanders pick and potentially multiple seconds to get him. However I believe Jersey will be very high on him and they willl have atleast 1 maybe two picks between the sens 2nd first and their third.

I mean if he is still there are 14 id deal pick 20 and the two later 2nds to select him.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

You cant say he is a comparable to Jeff Skinner then the next sentence acknowledge his two way play, it doesnt make sense. He is a better skater than Skinner no doubt, he can change directions seamlessly while carrying the puck. . His scoring ability translates better to the next level than Rossi, he can make high end individual plays, he also finds the soft spots incredibly well. Quinn has elite skills that can beat NHL defenders. I have watched over 20 67's games live with the goaltending coach for most of them. Right from the coaching staff Quinn is the best natural athlete on the team. They can see him get better daily, his game is growing at an exponential rate.

I mean their offensive game style is similar. Good skaters, hands, decent shots, know how to bury goals in close but don't have top tier vision.

The biggest reason why i dont agree with a Marner/Pastrnak comparison is because those players are much more cerebral in their puck handling, vision and attack. Quinn from what I have seen is more of a direct, drive the net player in terms of his offence.

Reactions: Icelevel

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think you will see the sens do everything in their power to trade up to get him with the Islanders pick and potentially multiple seconds to get him. However I believe Jersey will be very high on him and they willl have atleast 1 maybe two picks between the sens 2nd first and their third.

I mean if he is still there are 14 id deal pick 20 and the two later 2nds to select him.

That is a heavy price for a late blooming (older) prospect.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Unrefined skills is what I see. Can he work on all that? Sure ok he’s just a kid. But I’m not sold on him yet. Depending on who else is around at that point probably not a bad pick though.
I’m curious as to who you like better in the 12-18 range. Also, what skills need refining compared to other prospects.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I suppose anyone could make the argument that a player's high level ability in junior hockey could be neutralized or reduced to a lower level of performance in the NHL level. The high scoring stats in junior generally are not seen in the NHL because the competition is more intense and the skill level differences between players is less. Thus the benefits of size, top end speed, first 3 step quickness, shooting skills, edgework, etc. in junior do not translate into the same level of benefits in the NHL. However, they do indicate superior abilities that generally will show up at the NHL level, but not to the same level of dominance as junior.

There are though some players who develop more than others after their junior careers are over. Projecting such future development is a major issue and involves extrapolating past performance and trends.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
yeah 17 overall and 2 seconds is pretty pricey for Quinn . expecially when A. there are so many decent to similar prosepcts in that mid first round range. and B. all the talent in the secon round.

Agreed, 2nd round picks are so valuable because every year incredibly skilled players drop because they aren't perfect prospects or teams overthink. I like Quinn and think he has a chance to be a decent scorer at the NHL level but I'm also pretty sure that between picks 20 and 60 there are gonna be some players who end up challenging the top 10 in a few years. I'd rather have multiple tries at getting some high end talent rather than give it up for 1 chance.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
Still an interesting prospect imo. Anywhere from mid 2nd to early 3rd would be my prediction for him. He is also one of the youngest in the draft. Aug 20 bd so not so far off from being eligible for next year. That could push him up. He has decent puck skills, a good shot and can score.
He is also from HK Dukla Trencin. Just like few former Senators players. Hossa, Chara, Demitra, Meszaros. It would be nice to see another Trencin player in Ottawa jersey. I've seen him play since he was 15, very talented kid.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Anyone who prefers Jake Sanderson to Jamie Drysdale? I think I'd still take Drysdale, but it's like splitting hairs. I thought Sanderson might be able to put himself over at the U18s, but now we just have to go with what we know.

DrSense

Oct 4, 2017
yeah 17 overall and 2 seconds is pretty pricey for Quinn . expecially when A. there are so many decent to similar prosepcts in that mid first round range. and B. all the talent in the secon round.

Quinn's average ranking is around 17 overall, and with guys like Zary, Amirov, Mercer, Holloway, Gunler and Jarvis available in that range, I'd rather have one of those guys AND keep two 2nds, than overpay for Quinn. And I really like Quinn.

If Rossi were around at #9 or #10, that is the kind of bold move I'd move #17 and two 2nds for. The draft is always dynamic and I think people will once again be surprised how #4-12 shake out - will be some major surprises in terms of who drops to #10 or beyond. Just like Seider last year (average rank was 20 or so and went 6th I think).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad