Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not a fan of Kaliyev.

Me neither really but I could see LA biting. Kaliyev's game behind the other teams blueline leaves A LOT to be desired. But damn the kid scores goals and he does it every which way possible. One timers, wraparounds, lacrosse style, between the legs. And he has zero issues taking pucks to the net, which seems to be an issue with our team lately.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seems highly unlikely but lets play

They have centers out the wazzo. Kopitar can still play, Turcotte,Vilardi and Kupari in the system. They do lack a pure goal scorer to go along with all that. Maybe but I just don't see it

Nice response I like the substance. I guess you never know?

I think if we are flipping Laine I would want it to be for a proven asset personally.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
So Jets wants to trade their youngest regular so they can go younger and reload.

The right side without Laine in the playoff looks lost and we want to depend on Wheeler again the remaining years of his contract.

Lets keep Laine Connor Ehlers Schiefele hellybuyck Morrissey

And find another way.

Only other way is to bad enough to draft the right player to fit.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
I don't think you get a late 1st for Roslovic. Would you want the Jets to trade a late 1st for a 3rd line winger coming off his ELC that hasn't hit 30 points. A couple years back the Jets needed a better 3rd line winger to facilitate a cap dump.

i think you do a puljujarvi /Roslo swap. Both players need a fresh start

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Let's face it: this is what the Jets will do:

1) No one is being traded.
2) Jets draft what they feel is BPA.
3) Jets re-sign their RFAs.
4) Jets may re-sign DeMelo; this one is iffy.
5) Chevy spends his summer in his backyard aka Social Distancing version of the cabin.
6) Maurice runs Copp as 2C.

At least we should get a high pick next year.

:ha::help:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Let me get this right?

We want to try and trade Laine for a future 2C/1B and then try to trade again for a future goal scorer in the right side?

The guys did what he was asked by the coach to improve and worked his other side of the game. And it showed improvement and he was still going to get 30 goals before turning 22.

Trading a player that was putting the work to sacrifice his personal goal to be one of the best goal scorers in the league for the betterment of the team,
Is a bad management move.

Imagine Laine being use by a coach who knows what to do with a weapon like him. Instead of pleasing players that would run through brick wall for him.

Keep the core Chevy built.
Laine, Connor Ehlers, Hellybuyck, Scheifele, Morrissey.

Give the young guys the now the remaining spots.
Appleton Harkins gusstafson, samberg heinola

Change the coaching staff and build these guys up 1 to 2 years. Use the available Little and Buff money and expiring contracts to fill the gaps.

Schiefele as Captain.

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Let me get this right?

We want to try and trade Laine for a 2B and then try to trade again for a future goal scorer in the right side?

The guys did what he was asked by the coach to improve and worked his other side of the game. And it showed improvement and he was still going to get 30 goals before turning 22.

Trading a player that was putting the work to sacrifice his personal goal to be one of the best goal scorers in the league for the betterment of the team,
Is a bad management move.

Imagine Laine being use by a coach who knows what to do with a weapon like him. Instead of pleasing players that would run through brick wall for him.

Keep the core Chevy built.
Laine, Connor Ehlers, Hellybuyck, Scheifele, Morrissey.

Give the young guys the now the remaining spots.
Appleton Harkins gusstafson, samberg heinola

Change the coaching staff and build these guys up 1 to 2 years. Use the available Little and Buff money and expiring contracts to fill the gaps.

Schiefele as Captain.

I don't think anyone's advocating for a future goal scorer on the right side. At least I'm not. We have plenty of goal scoring power with Scheif, Connor and Ehlers. I don't think goals are an issue. Having a deeper team is the issue. Especially if Scheif goes down. If I could do it all over again I'd take Dubois in a heartbeat at #2 (hindsight is 20/20). Just that change alone would make us a much better team. And the type of team that could weather some injuries.

Reactions: John Agar

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
It's to bad we didn't trade him for the #6 pick. Pettersson would look good in a Jets jersey.

Why you want trade Laine so badly.
Did he f*** your sister or why you hate him so much?

And what comes to draft center i know very well that Lundell sucks and he's potential bust.
But if he's clear BPA you take him and run away.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Why you want trade Laine so badly.
Did he f*** your sister or why you hate him so much?

And what comes to draft center i know very well that Lundell sucks and he's potential bust.
But if he's clear BPA you take him and run away.

Don't have a sister and I don't hate Laine. I don't hate any of our players. I just want to improve the team and think he'll ask for to much money or high tail it to free agency the first chance he gets. Better to capitalize on his value now to get the ball rolling on this team rather than sit on our hands and hope everything falls into place.

Reactions: jokesondee

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Nice response I like the substance. I guess you never know?

I think if we are flipping Laine I would want it to be for a proven asset personally.
We’re not trading Laine. This is silly talk to trade a guy like that for an unproven pick when you could trade him for a top centre currently in the league. Teams would deal a good player or players to get Laine. Guy is just starting to round out his game. I see 40 goals in his future.

As for third D to go, not much talk around here about Guhle, I see him going ahead of Schneider.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We’re not trading Laine. This is silly talk to trade a guy like that for an unproven pick when you could trade him for a top centre currently in the league. Teams would deal a good player or players to get Laine. Guy is just starting to round out his game. I see 40 goals in his future.

As for third D to go, not much talk around here about Guhle, I see him going ahead of Schneider.

Oh? And who is exactly is going to trade us a top center for Laine?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You don’t think Laine can fetch a 1A centre?

No, not at all. Teams usually aren't lining up to trade those players away. Teams are built almost entirely around their 1C these days, it's arguably the most valuable position on the ice. If you don't have a 1C you do everything in your power to get one. If you have the chance to get another 1C, you do everything in your power to get them. The nice thing about having to many great C's, is they can always play wing. I'd reckon there is a grand total of zero teams that would willingly trade a 1A center for Laine.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

For me at least, part of the debate on if we should trade Laine is his contract status and what his expectations are on a future contract. He has one year left at $6.75 M and then he will need to be signed to his long term contract. If he is still looking to be paid on his draft day potential I see the negotiations being very difficult in a cap depressed environment. Being arb eligible that is a likely path IMO and once he goes to arbitration after a bridge he is on the UFA track to call your own shot at 25 y/o. At that point his trade value will be a fraction of what it is now as we saw with Trouba. If it was possible to trade him for a young #1 C signed long term that would be ideal, I just don't think any team trades that away.

Reactions: Whileee

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
No, not at all. Teams usually aren't lining up to trade those players away. Teams are built almost entirely around their 1C these days, it's arguably the most valuable position on the ice. If you don't have a 1C you do everything in your power to get one. If you have the chance to get another 1C, you do everything in your power to get them. The nice thing about having to many great C's, is they can always play wing. I'd reckon there is a grand total of zero teams that would willingly trade a 1A center for Laine.
Okay, not sure you’re following. Not asking for McDavid Crosby McKinnon. If you don’t like the term 1B then let’s call it #2 centre, guys in the range of Zibinajed, Hertl, Larkin, Nugent Hopkins etc. Not the elite centres but the next tier. Still a great top 6 centre to fill our need as opposed to an unproven 18 year old kid. I think that’s a doable trade. Not that I’m targeting guys above but there is a large tier of potential centres there.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For me at least, part of the debate on if we should trade Laine is his contract status and what his expectations are on a future contract. He has one year left at $6.75 M and then he will need to be signed to his long term contract. If he is still looking to be paid on his draft day potential I see the negotiations being very difficult in a cap depressed environment. Being arb eligible that is a likely path IMO and once he goes to arbitration after a bridge he is on the UFA track to call your own shot at 25 y/o. At that point his trade value will be a fraction of what it is now as we saw with Trouba. If it was possible to trade him for a young #1 C signed long term that would be ideal, I just don't think any team trades that away.
This... the concept of a Laine trade hinges on whether he's willing to sign long term on a deal that fits reasonably within the Jets' salary structure. If so, you sign him and keep him. If not, you trade him sooner rather than later to reshape the core.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
This... the concept of a Laine trade hinges on whether he's willing to sign long term on a deal that fits reasonably within the Jets' salary structure. If so, you sign him and keep him. If not, you trade him sooner rather than later to reshape the core.
You could agree that surely we can do better than an unproven 17 year old draft pick? I mean no draft pick is a sure thing. Why not make a good hockey trade. I mentioned it before in another thread (when I suggested a Ehlers/Connor and Pionk trade) why not add someone to it like Pionk. What would Laine Pionk fetch? A damn good centre. Look at the centre the Flames got. Lindholm is a great centre and they got him (not to mention Hanifin too) in a package involving Hamilton and Fox. We can make a great trade to change the core for proven NHLers, that's the route we go if you want to trade Laine due to contract complications, not for an unproven kid. Byfield could be great, or he could the next Puljarvi or Patrick. I think we can find a great centre much like the Flames did. Not the elite but the next best tier which is still damn good behing Scheif.

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You could agree that surely we can do better than an unproven 17 year old draft pick? I mean no draft pick is a sure thing. Why not make a good hockey trade. I mentioned it before in another thread (when I suggested a Ehlers/Connor and Pionk trade) why not add someone to it like Pionk. What would Laine Pionk fetch? A damn good centre. Look at the centre the Flames got. Lindholm is a great centre and they got him (not to mention Hanifin too) in a package involving Hamilton and Fox. We can make a great trade to change the core for proven NHLers, that's the route we go if you want to trade Laine due to contract complications, not for an unproven kid. Byfield could be great, or he could the next Puljarvi or Patrick. I think we can find a great centre much like the Flames did. Not the elite but the next best tier which is still damn good behing Scheif.
I'm all for a hockey trade to fill in with a very good young C, but there aren't many such players available.

Trading Laine for a player like Byfield would be a risky maneuver, for sure.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agreed that a hockey trade would be ideal. I'm not sure of signing dates with a paused season and hub playoffs, but under normal circumstances Laine could be re-signed as of July 1st. I'm hoping that Chevy is trying to work on that extension, and if there is interest and reasonable numbers being discussed and go that route and get him signed. If all our wingers are signed long term it would give Chevy more leverage and flexibility in any trade discussions.

Anyways I'm back off to the lake this morning, while I'll try to follow along from time to time I'm not likely to post. I'll be back in the city next week for a couple of appointments so I will join back in then.

Nedarb

Feb 19, 2019
Okay, not sure you’re following. Not asking for McDavid Crosby McKinnon. If you don’t like the term 1B then let’s call it #2 centre, guys in the range of Zibinajed, Hertl, Larkin, Nugent Hopkins etc. Not the elite centres but the next tier. Still a great top 6 centre to fill our need as opposed to an unproven 18 year old kid. I think that’s a doable trade. Not that I’m targeting guys above but there is a large tier of potential centres there.
Unfortunately Crosby/Mackinnon types will be the guys we will need to carry our 2nd line without any top 6 wingers on it. Once a laine trade happens and wheeler is aged out 1/2 years imo. We have No one to play rw anymore. really no one that wonderful I’d want to brag about anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad