Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just to be clear Dax this is your ranking not your mock. Drysdale going at #9 would be hard to stomach for me personally.

Yeah just my personal rankings. I think Drysdale and Sanderson will be gone well before we pick.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Boys I see some posting for LA trading their 2nd for Laine? Seems like they have been offloading assets and adding picks. Are they not rebuilding? I guess Laine is only 22 and would fit into a new core?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Boys I see some posting for LA trading their 2nd for Laine? Seems like they have been offloading assets and adding picks. Are they not rebuilding? I guess Laine is only 22 and would fit into a new core?

Seems highly unlikely but lets play

They have centers out the wazzo. Kopitar can still play, Turcotte,Vilardi and Kupari in the system. They do lack a pure goal scorer to go along with all that. Maybe but I just don't see it

Reactions: ps241

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Seems highly unlikely but lets play

They have centers out the wazzo. Kopitar can still play, Turcotte,Vilardi and Kupari in the system. They do lack a pure goal scorer to go along with all that. Maybe but I just don't see it

I would like to see it...

Bring on Byfield the Centre we need.... and we keep our 10th pick and go for the best D' prospect possible...

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jarvis is one of my favourite prospects in this draft, but I thought that Jarvis was a winger. If centres available are similarly rated, do we want to draft the winger?

He's lined up at center a handful of times this year but he has been used almost entirely as a RW/LW. Given his size (5'9, listed at 5'10 but I don't buy it)) and speed off the wing he will likely be a winger in the NHL.

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019
I think we need to trade this pick for immediate help. BPA is likely gonna a winger and the top 2 d are gonna be off the board. So we're probably gonna end up reaching to fill a need or drafting another winger. Chevy needs to address center this offseason!!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would like to see it...

Bring on Byfield the Centre we need.... and we keep our 10th pick and go for the best D' prospect possible...
I might do a Laine for #2 overall.

Would also save a ton of cap space going forward, and the Jets could have a lot of flexibility going forward. They could also protect another forward in the expansion draft (likely Roslovic).

With Buff (#1D) and Little (#2/3C) going down, I think the Jets' calculations about their window has probably changed substantially. They don't have enough prospects or picks to trade back into a contender, and using free agency to build a team in Winnipeg is fraught with high risk.

The other dynamic relates to the team's salary structure. Laine is going to want well over $9M on a long-term deal, or he'll likely play it out to UFA in 3 years. With Scheifele and Ehlers at $6M, and Connor at $7M, would the Jets be able to give Laine $9.5M+ if he's not clearly the team's best player? I'm not so sure. A star like Laine would make the LA Kings relevant in their tough market right away, and he's a proven young star. In truth, I'd want more than #2 (maybe they can add a 2nd), but even just getting Byfield might transform the Jets. It would be a bold move, though.

Use the #10 pick on a replacement for Laine like Raymond, Holtz, Quinn or Jarvis.

Go hard after Cernak from TB in a trade or offer sheet.

In a couple of years, run something like this...

Connor-Scheifele-Quinn
Ehlers-Byfield-Wheeler
KVes-Copp-Roslovic
Gus-Lowry-Harkins

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Cernak

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think we need to trade this pick for immediate help. BPA is likely gonna a winger and the top 2 d are gonna be off the board. So we're probably gonna end up reaching to fill a need or drafting another winger. Chevy needs to address center this offseason!!

There's a pretty good chance that one of Lundell or Zary Connor are available at 10, maybe even both. I'd be amazed if we don't draft a centre in that 10 spot. Short term you can patch the defense up, and there are still prospects that can fill out the bottom, after Heinola and Samberg. But you can't patch our centre position up too well, unless you believe Roslovic is ready for the role of 2c, or that Copp will be good there. And if Lowry goes down, well there's just Gus or Suess behind him. If Scheifele goes down this isn't a playoff team, and that's something you want to address as soon is possible.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Would also save a ton of cap space going forward, and the Jets could have a lot of flexibility going forward. They could also protect another forward in the expansion draft (likely Roslovic).

With Buff (#1D) and Little (#2/3C) going down, I think the Jets' calculations about their window has probably changed substantially. They don't have enough prospects or picks to trade back into a contender, and using free agency to build a team in Winnipeg is fraught with high risk.

The other dynamic relates to the team's salary structure. Laine is going to want well over $9M on a long-term deal, or he'll likely play it out to UFA in 3 years. With Scheifele and Ehlers at $6M, and Connor at $7M, would the Jets be able to give Laine $9.5M+ if he's not clearly the team's best player? I'm not so sure. A star like Laine would make the LA Kings relevant in their tough market right away, and he's a proven young star. In truth, I'd want more than #2 (maybe they can add a 2nd), but even just getting Byfield might transform the Jets. It would be a bold move, though.

Use the #10 pick on a replacement for Laine like Raymond, Holtz, Quinn or Jarvis.

Connor-Scheifele-Quinn
Ehlers-Byfield-Wheeler
KVes-Copp-Roslovic
Gus-Lowry-Harkins

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Cernak
It would be a bold and possible franchise changing move, but one I would support especially with the add on you suggested. If pick #10 then gets a potential top pairing D-man I'd prefer that over a replacement winger.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
For top 10 I have a few fallers as I see Raymond and Holtz as the sliders.
I still have Laf in his own tier.
Stuztle Byfield not far apart and either could go 2, I really like both.
Next tier I have Rossi Perfetti Sanderson Drysdale who could go 4-7 in any order.
Then I see Raymond Holtz Quinn in a tier. I really like Quinn a lot and have for some time now. If we can get one of Perfetti Quinn Sanderson Rossi I’d be a happy camper.
I could see Lundell Jarvis Askarov going ahead of Holtz too. Those players someone may like.

Reactions: ps241 and Whileee

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Connor-Scheifele-Quinn
Ehlers-Byfield-Wheeler
KVes-Copp-Roslovic
Gus-Lowry-Harkins

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Cernak

That would be very bold and really could work or it could blow up in our faces. If the goal is to run another retooling year next season then I could get onboard as it would allow us to integrate a few young players this year and potentially get a top pick next season as well. That would really pump up our pool and allow us to potentially ride the wave up in 21-22.

Adding Byfield, Drysdale/Sanderson, Mercer/Schneider/ this season would really set us up for 6- 8 year window.

Edit:

We would need more then just the number 2 pick for me to bite though. What would be solid prospect we could target from them in addition be?

Last edited:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There's a pretty good chance that one of Lundell or Zary Connor are available at 10, maybe even both. I'd be amazed if we don't draft a centre in that 10 spot. Short term you can patch the defense up, and there are still prospects that can fill out the bottom, after Heinola and Samberg. But you can't patch our centre position up too well, unless you believe Roslovic is ready for the role of 2c, or that Copp will be good there. And if Lowry goes down, well there's just Gus or Suess behind him. If Scheifele goes down this isn't a playoff team, and that's something you want to address as soon is possible.

They aren't surefire fixes for a 2C either though. For all we know both could end up on the wing or be no better than a 3C.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That would be very bold and really could work or it could blow up in our faces. If the goal is to run another retooling year next season then I could get onboard as it would allow us to integrate a few young players this year and potentially get a top pick next season as well. That would really pump up our pool and allow us to potentially ride the wave up in 21-22.

Adding Byfield, Drysdale/Sanderson, Mercer/Schneider/ this season would really set us up for 6- 8 year window.

Yeah I'd be 100% down for that. Snag Byfield and the best player there is at 10. Let Byfield slow cook in junior for another year, there is lots he can work on, whoever we draft at 10 is likely a year or two away as well. Add Harkins, Samberg, Heinola, Gus maybe Niku, Vesalianen, Chisholm and Berdin and we could possibly luck out with Stanley, Gawanke or Green.

I'd be taking aim at a defencemen for next year, especially if its a down year. There are some real high end looking kids coming in.

Owen Power, Luke Hughes, Carson Lambos, Brandt Clarke, Daniil Chayka, Isaac Belliveau, Aiden Hreschuk, Roman Schmidt, Simon Edvinsson, Artyom Grushnikov, Stanislav Svozil.

Those are just the main kids to jump up right now. There will no doubt be risers. Looks like a good year to snag a blue chip defencemen.

Reactions: John Agar

Ramland 07

Apr 10, 2019
Haven't really dug into the the 2nd and 3rd round guys yet but it is there a center that has huge boom bust potential around pick 40?

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Connor-Scheifele-Quinn
Ehlers-Byfield-Wheeler
KVes-Copp-Roslovic
Gus-Lowry-Harkins

Morrissey-DeMelo
Samberg-Pionk
Heinola-Cernak

I could really get behind getting 4 top 50 picks (2 in the top 10) in what is supposed to be a deep draft. And I agree that Laine is probably looking to be the highest paid player, and I am not sure that True North would buy into that.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah I'd be 100% down for that. Snag Byfield and the best player there is at 10. Let Byfield slow cook in junior for another year, there is lots he can work on, whoever we draft at 10 is likely a year or two away as well. Add Harkins, Samberg, Heinola, Gus maybe Niku, Vesalianen, Chisholm and Berdin and we could possibly luck out with Stanley, Gawanke or Green.

I'd be taking aim at a defencemen for next year, especially if its a down year. There are some real high end looking kids coming in.

Owen Power, Luke Hughes, Carson Lambos, Brandt Clarke, Daniil Chayka, Isaac Belliveau, Aiden Hreschuk, Roman Schmidt, Simon Edvinsson, Artyom Grushnikov, Stanislav Svozil.

Those are just the main kids to jump up right now. There will no doubt be risers. Looks like a good year to snag a blue chip defencemen.

Agreed, there are some dandy dmen in the draft next season. It was sort of what I was getting at, grab the potential number 1 C in Byfield plus a good prospect from LA and take the chance on finishing low enough to grab one of those dmen next draft.

I wouldn't do Laine straight up for the number 2 but I don't really know what LA has in their system that we could use.

Reactions: John Agar

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Haven't really dug into the the 2nd and 3rd round guys yet but it is there a center that has huge boom bust potential around pick 40?

Jaromir Pytlik is an interesting player, big 6'3 center playing for the SSM, he might last that long.
Dylan Peterson in the USDP is another big, 6'4 center, who has a lot of boom/bust potential.
Also Jack Finley, a big 6'5 center playing for Spokane has some boom potential.

Reactions: Ramland 07

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed, there are some dandy dmen in the draft next season. It was sort of what I was getting at, grab the potential number 1 C in Byfield plus a good prospect from LA and take the chance on finishing low enough to grab one of those dmen next draft.

I wouldn't do Laine straight up for the number 2 but I don't really know what LA has in their system that we could use.

I guess it all depends on what they would part ways with. I'm guessing Vilardi, Kupari and Turcotte are off the table.

We could try to fill in Laine's spot with Arthur Kaliyev, lots of potential for goals there but has some issues elsewhere on the ice. Jordan Spence is interesting from a dman perspective. Also wouldn't mind Akil Thomas.

Reactions: surixon

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Depends who you ask, but players like Robins and Khusnutdinov have a lot of admirers. They are smaller C's, which might have them drop somewhat. Bordeleau is another small C that has a lot of skill.

If you want a huge C prospect with some upside, Finley is likely available then.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I guess it all depends on what they would part ways with. I'm guessing Vilardi, Kupari and Turcotte are off the table.

We could try to fill in Laine's spot with Arthur Kaliyev, lots of potential for goals there but has some issues elsewhere on the ice. Jordan Spence is interesting from a dman perspective. Also wouldn't mind Akil Thomas.
I'm not a fan of Kaliyev.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
I got to thinking today (I drive around machines all day, I have time to think) about this year's draft. The Rangers are going to be loaded up when they get Lafreniere, but they will still be average at centre with Strome and Chityl as 2nd and 3rd line centres. And their left defense is still a mess, they are going to rely heavily on young guys, and probably Marc Staal. I'm not sure that Staal and Brendan Smith are better than Kulikov and Beaulieu tbh.

But it's L.A's pick I was thinking about. They've picked up Turcotte and Valardi recently to shore up their forward strength. But the Kings still need a finisher. They tried Kovalchuk this year and he bombed. But they've been look for a RH shot to play opposite Kopitar, who is one of the league's best passers. They haven't had a superstar winger since Gaborik. They have some star players, who probably would like to get back to winning before the rebuild is over. And a lot of Cap Space.

Would you offer Laine for that #2 spot. I mean Laine would fit in perfectly with Kopitar and Dustin Brown, he doesn't have to play big, he just needs to get in shooting positions. For the Kings that would be immediate help that might get them back in contention in the Pacific. I get the sense that Laine would sign at least 5 years there, and max out his earnings, without having to take shots at Bryan Little, something that still irks me to this day.

For the Jets, they get immediate help at centre. I know a lot of posters have been wanting Byfield since the beginning of the year.. You lose Laine, but you still have depth at forward, and probably more pace now. You don't have to create a debate to get Ehlers on the PP, because he'd have a spot, and frankly he looked pretty good playing his strong side.

The Jets would get some cap manoeuvrability too, allowing them to re-sign a defensive leader like Lowry, and maybe Copp too. Invest in areas of weakness. Also would protect another player on the roster from the expansion draft,

For Chevy he's got one more year of Laine, and then it gets complicated. If he gets taken to arbitration, he's trying to trade a player headed for free agency in 2 years. And you probably don't get as much if you let him play here on a one year deal, with one to go. And I have some serious doubts that Laine is interested in staying in Winnipeg long term. So Chevy will be going back to the phone then. Would this not be the chance to get 2 top 10 draft picks on a team that needs some help after trading for centres in 3 consecutive seasons. Seems like we need some changes, ans more players prepare to leave.

For Laine I think he'd be happy in Sunny California, where hockey is irrelevant during basketball and football season, playing without pressure. And he'd be a top billing player, something he hasn't become here, because of Wheeler, who isn't going anywhere, and his (Laine's) own performance.
I would deal Laine for the #2 in a heartbeat! But I don't see the Kings biting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad