Speculation: 2020 Entry Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You know what? You're right, he's a dud. Most 19-20 yr olds are far better. I think he'll do okay as a second liner and 2nd PP in the AHL though. I can't believe anyone would think he was good. Lol.
If you're gonna argue against straw men, contact a farmer. I'm not entertaining arguments against claims I didn't make.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Why is that interesting? Rossi is a stud! I have him 4-6 range.
I’m not disagreeing with your assessment on his ability. But I find it interesting he’s ranked #7 by Bob McK, and is pegged as a potential faller to #10 solely based on his size. But these nhl dot com guys have Rossi going 4/5.

Last edited:

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Sure, but it was a decision to move Wheeler to 2C and Laine to 1RW. Fact is that Laine played the large majority of this past season as the 1RW on Scheifele's line.

Maybe one day we see that decision made by Maurice and not forced by injuries of Little, like was the case in 16-17 and then again in 19-20.

Most if not all of the greatest lineup decisions we have seen by Maurice (like using Fefe as #1, giving Laine a change in 16-17 and then again in 19-20 and Connor in 17-18) have so far been forced by injuries.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Two schools of thought I've seen are Lundell or Sanderson. I haven't seen much on either of these two players, but people that I follow are high on them. I'd be relatively comfortable with either of them.

I’m really liking lundell

I really like Lundell as our pick at #10, but I suspect he will be gone by then. Which is a pity, because I think he'd look great ib between Ehlers and Laine.

If we don't get any fallers (Sanderson, Rossi, Drysdale, etc), then I've been slowly falling into the Mercer camp. I think he might evolve into a good player. A bit of a reach at #10, but I wouldn't be opposed to him.

Reactions: roccerfeller

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
In 2019/20, 5v5 ice-time...

Laine: 750+ minutes with Scheifele
Wheeler: 400 minutes with Scheifele

Laine spent more than 72% of his 5v5 ice-time on Scheifele's line last season.

Reactive vs. Proactive decision.

And then he goes back to line 2.

I'm getting off topic :) :D

Hopefully Jets get a good C by the 10th pick.

Enjoying all you guys analysist. :thumbu:
Havent been excited wth the Jets pick for a while.
Looks like a good prospect will be added to the Jets.
They haven't had a miss for all their top 15 picks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Halberdier

wpgallday1960

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2010
Sunny St. James
I really like Lundell as our pick at #10, but I suspect he will be gone by then. Which is a pity, because I think he'd look great ib between Ehlers and Laine.

If we don't get any fallers (Sanderson, Rossi, Drysdale, etc), then I've been slowly falling into the Mercer camp. I think he might evolve into a good player. A bit of a reach at #10, but I wouldn't be opposed to him.
If we are going to reach for someone I would rather it be Schneider or Guhle.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I would like to see the Jets acquire a very strong defensive C with 60+ point capability. That defensive awareness is so important.

Having two offensive minded C’s just doesn’t seem to work, see Leafs, Toronto.

Lundell is that very strong defensive C. Question has always been can he produce enough offensively. I think playing with two players like fellow countryman Laine and Ehlers, he can be a 20g/40a/60pt player in 3-4 years and lights out defensively. He’s the guy you want on the ice protecting a lead late in a critical playoff game.

Rossi, on the other hand, might be slightly less effective defensively, but might be a 25g/50a/75pt player with those two wingers in 3-4 years, and still solid defensively. If you’re down a goal, that’s the guy and line you want on the ice.

If they are both available when Jets pick, who do you take? It’s Rossi for me.

Reactions: Halberdier

None

Feb 22, 2012
The Mercer talk reminds me a little of the talk about taking Dylan Larkin on this board before the 2014 draft if one of the 3 other popular choices were taken. I think there was a consensus that Nylander, Ehlers, and Fiala would all be gone by 9 and the Jets board didn't want anything to do with Jake Virtanen.
I might be remembering wrong, but I thought that was the case and people were coming around to the idea of picking Larkin if it was between him and Virtanen.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Nice response I like the substance. I guess you never know?

I think if we are flipping Laine I would want it to be for a proven asset personally.

The asset...

9 or 10 million saved per year on Laine... what Laine will demand for his next contract...

That is the asset...

He wasn't conditioned for this summer's games; he admitted it...

He seems to have perceivable chronic challenges injury wise... shoulder... back... others... ?

That is the liability...

I love the idea of Patrick Laine, but we need strength up the middle and a reload on D'...

LA needs marquee... Jets need a path and upside...

Trying to sign free agents to come here has not been a recipe for success...

:popcorn:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Let's face it: this is what the Jets will do:

1) No one is being traded.
2) Jets draft what they feel is BPA.
3) Jets re-sign their RFAs.
4) Jets may re-sign DeMelo; this one is iffy.
5) Chevy spends his summer in his backyard aka Social Distancing version of the cabin.
6) Maurice runs Copp as 2C.

At least we should get a high pick next year.

:ha::help:

But does Chevy...

Catch a big Muskie ever...

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If you're gonna argue against straw men, contact a farmer. I'm not entertaining arguments against claims I didn't make.

Or go straight to the mouth...

Mooooooooo....

giphy.gif

source.gif

Straw... beings... :laugh:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The asset...

9 or 10 million saved per year on Laine... what Laine will demand for his next contract...

That is the asset...

He seems to have perceivable chronic challenges injury wise... shoulder... back... others... ?

That is the liability...

I love the idea of Patrick Laine, but we need strength up the middle and a reload on D'...

The cap space is an asset for sure but I think we need a proven player coming back as well while Scheif (27) is in his window. Granted I am less sold on Byfield than most are here so the delay and the risk seem too high for my liking. I like Stutzle more than Quinton but am not sold he will be a centre in the NHL.

I admit I could be wrong about all of this. One thing we know is we don’t have the high end forward prospects coming up to add into our top 6 so what we see is kind of what we get for now.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
The asset...

That is the asset...

That is the liability...

Lately I’ve been pondering the whole Laine for Ekblad idea. Florida obviously needs to do something and bringing in a potential 50 goal winger along side Barkov and Huberdeau may get the fan base excited again. Ekblad paired with JoMo and Samberg or Heinola alongside DeMelo would be a good second pairing. Flip Pionk+ for a 2C.
I would hate to lose Laine but I definitely don’t want to pay him 10+M for a streaky goalscorer and if we could get a top pair RHD under contract for 5 years I think we need to do it.
I would also like to see Chevy use our new cap space to maybe pull an extra 1st or prospect from a cap struggling team. Maybe StL 1st for taking Steen as an example

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Lately I’ve been pondering the whole Laine for Ekblad idea. Florida obviously needs to do something and bringing in a potential 50 goal winger along side Barkov and Huberdeau may get the fan base excited again. Ekblad paired with JoMo and Samberg or Heinola alongside DeMelo would be a good second pairing. Flip Pionk+ for a 2C.
I would hate to lose Laine but I definitely don’t want to pay him 10+M for a streaky goalscorer and if we could get a top pair RHD under contract for 5 years I think we need to do it.
I would also like to see Chevy use our new cap space to maybe pull an extra 1st or prospect from a cap struggling team. Maybe StL 1st for taking Steen as an example

Ek' is nothing to sniff at... like his play...

But the Jets need to work at Centre path first...

Jets D' is skilled... just not balanced, lacking strength down low in our own end...

We have the skill on D'... Jets' just need a couple mobile, physical stay at home D'men...

Samberg is one I am sure... and a free agent would fill it out... the FA just needs to be D' end first mobile and efficient ...

Not a 1 or 2...

We need a Centre... big time...

This is not a Little problem... :sarcasm:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The cap space is an asset for sure but I think we need a proven player coming back as well while Scheif (27) is in his window. Granted I am less sold on Byfield than most are here so the delay and the risk seem too high for my liking. I like Stutzle more than Quinton but am not sold he will be a centre in the NHL.

I admit I could be wrong about all of this. One thing we know is we don’t have the high end forward prospects coming up to add into our top 6 so what we see is kind of what we get for now.

PS' thanks for replying with candor...

I am not a Quinton Byfield cheerleader... I am pretty sure I have never talked him up on this Board...

Now Stutzle is sexy... I have mentioned him... your replied you would investigate further...

The Jets in the "public opinion" need to get more "gritty" on the back end...

And I would say the Jets need a physical presence up the middle.... and By' fits that bill to Me...

Otherwise I have 9 or 10 million reasons to object... even if it brings goals... but promises less than longevity, character and winning a Stanley Cup from the "Winger"...

Stutzle...? You injected him in the conversation...

I think I need a cigarette now...

giphy.gif

Reactions: ps241

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Ekblad for Poink, Roslo and our 1st in 2020?
If that’s all it took, I’d be in.
Then OS Cirelli after the draft 5.5M x 5 yrs, for our ‘21 1st + ‘21 3rd or trade our ‘21 1st + Heinola
Trade Lowry/Copp to Edmonton for Puljujarvi

run with something like...
Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Cirelli - Wheeler
Vesalainen - Copp/Lowry - Puljujarvi
Perreault - Harkins - Appleton
Shore

Morrissey - Ekblad
Samberg - DeMelo
Heinola /Beaulieu- Poolman
Beaulieu/Dahlstrom

Last edited:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If that’s all it took, I’d be in.
Then OS Cirelli after the draft 5.5M x 5 yrs, for our ‘21 1st + ‘21 3rd or trade our ‘21 1st + Heinola
Trade Lowry/Copp to Edmonton for Puljujarvi

run with something like...
Connor - Scheifele - Laine
Ehlers - Cirelli - Wheeler
Vesalainen - Copp/Lowry - Puljujarvi
Perreault - Harkins - Appleton
Shore

Morrissey - Ekblad
Samberg - DeMelo
Heinola /Beaulieu- Poolman
Beaulieu/Dahlstrom
I'd be okay with that but not trade with Edmonton and have a
KV- Lowry- Copper line.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers- Lundell-Laine

Who wouldn’t want to see that in near future?

Pretty good mix of everything

I wouldn't! Lundell is years away, not a safe bet he'll ever prove to be a top 6 C. Wheeler's still playing on the top line at 35-36 y.o if that ever happens.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ekblad for Poink, Roslo and our 1st in 2020?

I just don't see why Florida trades Ekblad. Sure he may not have lived up to expectations as a number 1 pick but he's still a very good big physical dmen that seems to have put the concussions behind him.

I would change the pick to a 2021 pick and do the deal.

Reactions: Bob E

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The asset...

That is the asset...

That is the liability...

I'm reading between the lines, but I get the sense that the Jets want more from Laine in terms of off-season training and improvement. He needs to put in the work to improve his quickness and strength, and he needs to continually improve his skills in the off-season. If he isn't committed to that, he's never going to reach his full potential as an elite player.

Reactions: jokesondee
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad