Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part šest (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I’m gonna predict we all wake up to some Monday news.
Not impossible but I don't see why DW wouldn't at least wait to see how rookie training camp and the tourney next weekend go, since he has waited this long...

I guess it would be a decent time for a Thornton Marleau announcement...

Edit: although, I guess if you are trading away rookies and AHLers the other team might want to get the deal done now to get them to their own rookie training camp week...

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
I don’t see anything major happening until most of these RFAs sign, so we may be in for a long wait. Obviously, Thornton has to sign fairly soon but aside from that, who knows when these RFAs will crack.

Reactions: themelkman

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
The more I look into it and think about it, I like more and more at the idea of a Michael Frolik for Melker Karlsson deal that has been kicked around and well received between both fanbases. He really had a pretty good season last year and could provide more production with more icetime (say with Meier and Couture).

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The more I look into it and think about it, I like more and more at the idea of a Michael Frolik for Melker Karlsson deal that has been kicked around and well received between both fanbases. He really had a pretty good season last year and could provide more production with more icetime (say with Meier and Couture).
I like the deal too, I just think we probably have an opportunity to go for a bigger fish when the RFAs sign

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I like the deal too, I just think we probably have an opportunity to go for a bigger fish when the RFAs sign

Who do you think would be made available after those chips fall? Kreider and Toffoli I see as the top guys available and they would/should be in play right now if they are.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Who do you think would be made available after those chips fall? Kreider and Toffoli I see as the top guys available and they would/should be in play right now if they are.
I really dont know who might be, but I trust that Doug knows what hes doing, and hes been waiting so. I dont know if many of us expected him to grab Karlsson last year

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
Toffoli seems like a good pick for us and he can rebound here in SJ I believe.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Doug definitely has something planned and being brutally patient with it. I don't doubt he is waiting for those RFA dominoes to fall. It is killing the lot of us :laugh:
Yep. It’s a waiting game. 100s of millions in contact dollars will be coming out in the coming weeks. Fallout will be swift and dramatic. Solid players will hit the market. Teams with space will be in strong positions to swoop in. The sharks don’t have a ton of space, but they have some and if the right move comes about, he’ll grab it. That’s why jumbo remains unsigned....

The waiting has been month long now and it’s boring and frustrating but dougie is holding his cards close and playing it right.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yep. It’s a waiting game. 100s of millions in contact dollars will be coming out in the coming weeks. Fallout will be swift and dramatic. Solid players will hit the market. Teams with space will be in strong positions to swoop in. The sharks don’t have a ton of space, but they have some and if the right move comes about, he’ll grab it. That’s why jumbo remains unsigned....

The waiting has been month long now and it’s boring and frustrating but dougie is holding his cards close and playing it right.
I don't expect Marner to give in and sign before training camp but I expect some of the other RFA's may just do that. I think the key for us, Sharks fans, is to set expectations for the season based on who we start the roster with. Don't expect for us to be competing for the cup with 2 of our top-9 wingers are going to be rookies. Also, really curious to see how Labanc does in a top-6 role.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

Yeah, I would be totally fine with this or the Namestnikov trade idea. I think I would actually prefer Frolik. He can play LW or RW and provides a lot of flexibility.

Meier-Couture-Frolik
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Sorensen-Thornton-Chmelevski
Marleau/Radil-True-Goodrow
Marleau/Radil

The other good thing is that Frolik over Melker would only be a net intake of $2.3M. With Marleau and Thornton signing for league minimum, that leaves us with about $1.6M in cap space with a 22 man roster, which is enough to make a move at the deadline for somebody like Kreider or Toffoli if necessary.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Yeah, I would be totally fine with this or the Namestnikov trade idea. I think I would actually prefer Frolik. He can play LW or RW and provides a lot of flexibility.

Meier-Couture-Frolik
Kane-Hertl-Labanc
Sorensen-Thornton-Chmelevski
Marleau/Radil-True-Goodrow
Marleau/Radil

The other good thing is that Frolik over Melker would only be a net intake of $2.3M. With Marleau and Thornton signing for league minimum, that leaves us with about $1.6M in cap space with a 22 man roster, which is enough to make a move at the deadline for somebody like Kreider or Toffoli if necessary.

That is my exact lineup with a Frolik deal except I have Gambrell with Marleau and Goodrow. I know how you feel about Gambrell though :laugh: Having True there makes sense however because that is his likely spot at the NHL level and he has definitely earned a look.

What I really like about Frolik is if Chmelevski shows up big, Frolik can float seemlessly into the 3RW spot and the Sharks are starting to look really deep at RW.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That is my exact lineup with a Frolik deal except I have Gambrell with Marleau and Goodrow. I know how you feel about Gambrell though :laugh: Having True there makes sense however because that is his likely spot at the NHL level and he has definitely earned a look.

What I really like about Frolik is if Chmelevski shows up big, Frolik can float seemlessly into the 3RW spot and the Sharks are starting to look really deep at RW.

The Sharks played 383 minutes on the PK last season. Slightly over half of those get played by defensemen, but you're still looking at around 750 minutes worth of PK'ing from your forwards.

Last year it was:

Hertl - 127
Couture - 127
Goodrow - 118
Melker - 116
Sorensen - 85
Kane - 75
Pavelski - 55
Timo - 41

Nobody else played significant time on the PK. We just lost 7% of that with Pavelski, although his role there had diminished by the end of the season. If we trade Melker, we're losing another 16% of our PK minutes, and will need to add ~170 minutes of PK time from our forwards. Frolik who played 36 minutes in Calgary could replace some of that, but we need a lot more PK minutes from our forwards, and I don't want to just put more on Hertl/Couture when they already spend more time there than most team's #1/2Cs.

I am pretty confident that Gambrell does not have the skill set to kill penalties at the NHL level, so if we trade Melker, he is definitely a no-go. From my understanding, True has the skill set to be a solid PKer at the NHL level, so he is the guy that I would want replacing Melker on that 4th line. If not True, then you need somebody else who can PK. That's my issue with Gambrell. I'm actually not of the opinion that he couldn't earn a spot at the NHL level but I don't think he fits on the 4th line for this team.

Agree regarding Frolik though. I'm going to guess that he's flexible enough that he could also play the LW on the 3rd line if (when) Sorensen struggles in that role. Frolik isn't as good of a pure goal scorer as Sorensen, but he's a much better all-around player.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
I am pretty confident that Gambrell does not have the skill set to kill penalties at the NHL level

Curious as to why you think that might be a problem for him? Even players with limited skills can be coached into effective PKers.

The only issue I see is Pete trusting a rookie in the role but that would be just as true with True (pun intended).

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Curious as to why you think that might be a problem for him? Even players with limited skills can be coached into effective PKers.

The only issue I see is Pete trusting a rookie in the role but that would be just as true with True (pun intended).

Well, Gambrell hasn’t shown the defensive awareness that I would expect from a guy who would be good on the PK. I’d rather use somebody who is actually good in that role.

I could be totally wrong about True, but to my knowledge, he played some PK time with the Barracuda, and more so than Gambrell. Would love a Cuda viewer to chime in though

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Well, Gambrell hasn’t shown the defensive awareness that I would expect from a guy who would be good on the PK. I’d rather use somebody who is actually good in that role.

I could be totally wrong about True, but to my knowledge, he played some PK time with the Barracuda, and more so than Gambrell. Would love a Cuda viewer to chime in though

I know they have asked Gambrell to be grittier with his play and board work but I think his speed could be a real asset on the kill. It is just a matter of Pete trusting him and coaching Gambrell up during the year. Maybe rely on Sorenson or Kane more early in the year.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Someone mentioned it a few weeks back, but Bjugstad would make a lot of sense. Pitt has to move salary, right shot and gives them another face off guy when needed.

Reactions: themelkman

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
If nothing else falls into our lap, grabbing a quality third line right wing like Namestenikov or Frolik would certainly be a good move. That being said, I hope we're actively pursuing guys like Kapanen, Kreider, and Zucker.

Assuming all the big RFAs are signed, about half of the remaining cap for the entire league will be gone:

Winnipeg- 16M- Laine, Connor (14M minimum)
Columbus- 15M- Werenski (6.5M minimum)
Colorado- 13M- Rantanen (8M minimum)
Flyers- 13M- Provorov, Konecy (11M minimum)
Devils- 8.7M- Zacha (3M minimuma)
Bolts- 8.4M- Point (7M minimum)
Flames- 7.8M- Tkachuk (6.5M minimum)
Nucks- 5.8M- Boesser, Goldobin (7.5M minimum)
Hawks- 3.5M- Perlini (2.5M)
Rangers- 1M- Deangelo, Lemeiux (3.5M minimum)
Leafs- 0M- Marner (10M minimum)

Then you have the Caps, Sabres, Pens over the cap, and the Yotes, Blues, Panthers, and Stars within 1M. I expect there will be a lot more movement ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad