Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part šest (6)

Status
Not open for further replies.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
The lack of AHL deals while not great for our contract situation is exciting because it means we have lots of guys the org thinks could play big league hockey.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The Caps highly touted Dman prospect Chase Priskie told them he will be a UFA on Aug 15th. I wonder how much he would be asking. Not that the Sharks need a Dman. But you could pair him with Vlasic and the Sharks would have an offensive Dman on every pairing.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
The Caps highly touted Dman prospect Chase Priskie told them he will be a UFA on Aug 15th. I wonder how much he would be asking. Not that the Sharks need a Dman. But you could pair him with Vlasic and the Sharks would have an offensive Dman on every pairing.

They already have that with Heed.

I doubt Priskie signs here. There is too much talent in front of him if he is looking to fast track. Personally, I see him Tampa bound. Born in the area, top contender, and need.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
He did just play with Shortridge, and we could move Heed or waive Prout if he was serious about coming.

Speaking of Shortridge, what are the odds he legitimately challenges for the backup goalie spot? Is there any precedent for an NCAA goalie doing that?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Now if a forward did that, I think we could be a great option for them. Don't think any young D-men looking to establish himself as a top-4 guy in the league would come to us.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
NHLN on Shattenkirk buy out..... Rangers needed cap space this season. With the buyout, they can keep Kreider.

Sorry to dash a few dreams.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Speaking of 8/15 deadline....

Sharks have three college graduating draftees... Jackson, Vela, Kuptsky

Vela played on ATO for Cuda this past spring.

Wonder if the Sharks will sign one or none? Or might they have offers (only) from the Barracuda?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
NHLN on Shattenkirk buy out..... Rangers needed cap space this season. With the buyout, they can keep Kreider.

Yeah I think it was clear with buyout they didnt want to trade Kreider. Still doesnt seem like he wants to stick though so I guess lets wait for the deadline.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I don't think any dreams should be dashed based on the speculation of the guys at NHL Network.

The Rangers still have only ~$1M in cap space right now and they still need to re-sign Brendan Lemieux and Anthony DeAngelo. The two of them should cost between $4M and $6M. In order to fill them in, the Rangers could try and move a player like Namestnikov or Strome, but those players might have negative value and would be difficult to move. Kreider on the other hand still has immensely positive value and if he doesn't fit into their long term plans, they'll likely move him out for assets while they can still get something out of him. I think their management is smart enough to know they're not in a position to use him as an "own rental".

I don't think anybody should dash their dreams until Kreider signs an extension, is traded elsewhere, or the trade deadline passes. Maybe we can start to dash those dreams if they move out Strome or Namestnikov. But not because a couple of guys on NHL Network said it.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It just seems that going into the season expecting a young player to take a roster spot, much less a top-9 one, isn't a great recipe for success. The Sharks, especially, do not have a great track record with this (probably because when it does work, it is with high-end prospects that come from very early picks).

On the other hand, the Sharks aren't putting all their eggs in one basked. They need one or two hits out of what, 8-10 options? There's even probably a small bet on someone like Radil or Sorensen taking the next step.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It just seems that going into the season expecting a young player to take a roster spot, much less a top-9 one, isn't a great recipe for success. The Sharks, especially, do not have a great track record with this (probably because when it does work, it is with high-end prospects that come from very early picks).

On the other hand, the Sharks aren't putting all their eggs in one basked. They need one or two hits out of what, 8-10 options? There's even probably a small bet on someone like Radil or Sorensen taking the next step.

They need more like 2 or 3 hits out of 5-6 legitimate options.

I agree with the concern you are voicing, but I think that it’s an even bigger concern than you are making it out to be.

Jul 10, 2010
its not how much hes asking, he can only sign a standard ELC, its fast tracking to the big leagues and who can provide NHL ice time. i dont think we can

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
its not how much hes asking, he can only sign a standard ELC, its fast tracking to the big leagues and who can provide NHL ice time. i dont think we can
You're probably right but you'd think there would be some appeal for any young offensive D-man to come to SJ to learn from EK65 and Burns.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
You're probably right but you'd think there would be some appeal for any young offensive D-man to come to SJ to learn from EK65 and Burns.
Except they limit their upside in terms of future contract dollars by limiting their ice time and PP time behind both of those guys. If you go somewhere else where PP time is available, you’ll score more points and make more money. Plus, it’s not like we’re a super team where you can say “Oh you’ll win the Cup here though” when he can go to Tampa or s number of other contenders.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Except they limit their upside in terms of future contract dollars by limiting their ice time and PP time behind both of those guys. If you go somewhere else where PP time is available, you’ll score more points and make more money. Plus, it’s not like we’re a super team where you can say “Oh you’ll win the Cup here though” when he can go to Tampa or s number of other contenders.

Why is tampa more of a contender then san jose? I don't get it.

In the past 2 years.

Lightning are 116-39-9 good for 241 points.

Sharks are 91-54-19 good for 201 points.

Lightning in the playoffs.

2-2 conference finals game 7 loss and a 1st round sweep loss. 11-10 overall record.

Sharks in the playoffs.

3-2 2nd round exit and conference finals game 6 loss. 16-14 overall record.

Reactions: stator

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Why is tampa more of a contender then san jose? I don't get it.

In the past 2 years.

Lightning are 116-39-9 good for 241 points.

Sharks are 91-54-19 good for 201 points.

Lightning in the playoffs.

2-2 conference finals game 7 loss and a 1st round sweep loss. 11-10 overall record.

Sharks in the playoffs.

3-2 2nd round exit and conference finals game 6 loss. 16-14 overall record.

I think the Lightning are a more skilled team overall than the Sharks. Unfortunately for them, it seems skill alone is not enough to take you all the way. The Lightning have definitely been exposed in the playoffs.

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
I think the Lightning are a more skilled team overall than the Sharks. Unfortunately for them, it seems skill alone is not enough to take you all the way. The Lightning have definitely been exposed in the playoffs.
The last Tampa team I’d be nervous about was the one in 2011 after that I haven’t been too worried about them

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Off-topic but Gallant is such a f***ing puke. I was watching the bench brawl when he was the coach of the Panthers against the Canucks. The dude verbally and physically wants to get involved against players.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The last Tampa team I’d be nervous about was the one in 2011 after that I haven’t been too worried about them
I don't know man. I know they get knocked out of the playoffs in the 1st round last year but that team is a damn solid team. I just think part of the big issue in the NHL is how the refs call the game so differently in the post season. You can't be a finesse team and get by just on pure skill.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

A standard ELS has a max (base) salary of $925k, plus bonuses. (Minimum salary $700k this season and next. So not a huge range available.)

And all that is spelled out in standard contract boilerplate.

BUT there could be discussion/agreement (sometimes not on paper) about how the player will be utilized (TOI, partners, role, league). An European player may want return to their European team rather than demotion to AHL, for instance. Or a team may "say" they plan on him playing with specific linemate/D partner or a role on PP/PK special teams unit. Even if all that stuff (TOI, etc.) is based on merit, that's a discussion that doesn't result in anything in the contract language.

Player agents generally have a good idea of where their guy might fit in depth-wise.

Takes discussion.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Is either Nichuskin or Reider worth taking a chance on at under ? I don't think either of them would fit in the top-6 but maybe good at 3RW. I do like the speed that Reider brings.

Gunnin54

Nov 7, 2012
Is either Nichuskin or Reider worth taking a chance on at under ? I don't think either of them would fit in the top-6 but maybe good at 3RW. I do like the speed that Reider brings.
I’d take take Nichuskin I remember when the off reason first started a lot of us agreed we are in a prime place for a prove it contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad