GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 16 • Group A: DEN (0) - CAN (8) F

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Game is well in hand. Hope they play the bottom 6 more in the third and try and build some more chemistry.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Definitely not as bad as last year but I think people are still having nightmares. He hasn't been as noticeble in a good way. Clague has taken the spot of most dissapointing D for me so far
I think Bean not being overly noticeable is extremely positive for him. Means he has been keeping it simple defensively not making any glaring mistakes. As for Clague he is disappointing because people were expecting him to be one of the best defensemen in the tournament and he has been about what he was last year. Just steady.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He should be sitting the 3rd for that selfish penalty.
makes terrible passes, doesnt hit or forecheck hard enough and doesn't have the greatest offensive upside to make up for that. all he has is leadership. which is saving him from being the 13th forward.

though, it is the WJC so I guess you can take everything with a grain of salt.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I have been really keying in on watching Bean this year because of how much people really love to just pile on the kid...and while yes he wasn't great last year. I really find it weird how people are still on him....Like am I missing something or is it just confirmation bias and people can't get over last year? He has been nothing but solid so far this year from what I have seen....Maybe someone can point out what I am missing?
It's kind of making me upset, actually. I'm not Bean's agent and yet I feel like I constantly have to defend him against others that just can't let go of last year. He's made among the fewest mistakes of any blueliner on the team this year, and has been great on offense. Really does show how much people like to hate on other people.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I think Bean not being overly noticeable is extremely positive for him. Means he has been keeping it simple defensively not making any glaring mistakes. As for Clague he is disappointing because people were expecting him to be one of the best defensemen in the tournament and he has been about what he was last year. Just steady.
yes that is what I meant for Bean, my wording was just bad. Your probably right about Clague being the same as last year but he seems to be a lot more turnover prone this year too

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
It's kind of making me upset, actually. I'm not Bean's agent and yet I feel like I constantly have to defend him against others that just can't let go of last year. He's made among the fewest mistakes of any blueliner on the team this year, and has been great on offense. Really does show how much people like to hate on other people.

Probably fair in some respects, I think I have been guilty of piling on Bean at times. Some of it is probably the board nature with respect to the WJCs (and any other topic). A certain group think can start to set in that may not be necessarily reflected in the facts at times.

Reactions: jj cale and Statsy

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

People don't like to form their own opinions so they just pile on with everyone else.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
TSN is showing highlights from the earlier games and I've realized that there were not one, but two goals scored today that were credited to guys that didn't even touch the puck. How weird is that?

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
TSN is showing highlights from the earlier games and I've realized that there were not one, but two goals scored today that were credited to guys that didn't even touch the puck. How weird is that?

I didn't see the goal in question but I remember them remarking earlier that 1 commentator didn't agree with who they credited the goal to, something about the other team knocking the puck in, but the gave the guy who sort of helped that guy score on his own net but he didn't actually touch the puck himself. That should have went to the last guy who touched the puck.

I assume the other one was the faceoff one which would have the correct scoring?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
makes terrible passes, doesnt hit or forecheck hard enough and doesn't have the greatest offensive upside to make up for that. all he has is leadership. which is saving him from being the 13th forward.

though, it is the WJC so I guess you can take everything with a grain of salt.

He is far from the worst forward out there.

Comtois and Formeton have taken way dumber penalties, over much less offensively and haven't really done much physically or defensively.

Gadojevich, after leeching a few goals off his linemates the other day, has been a pretty big dud as well.

But the fact that there really isn't a better option than Dube for that first line says a lot about this team because he really should be a 3rd line guy for Canada in the WJHC but I am not sure who down the lines I would move up to replace him.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I was really close to mentioning how Formenton was not as impressive as he was in camp but he goes and scores

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I didn't see the goal in question but I remember them remarking earlier that 1 commentator didn't agree with who they credited the goal to, something about the other team knocking the puck in, but the gave the guy who sort of helped that guy score on his own net but he didn't actually touch the puck himself. That should have went to the last guy who touched the puck.

I assume the other one was the faceoff one which would have the correct scoring?
Yes, the faceoff that Slovakia netted and the stick slash that netted a goal for the Swiss.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I am cheering for Canada but these games against lesser teams are just crap. Watching them is just cringeworthy. I know why these teams are here but they get up for maybe one game for a while against a hockey country and the rest of the time it just leads to sloppy bad habit forming hockey. Listening to the announcers go nuts over goal 85 against Krapistan is just too much. Sorry- a little hyperbolic....

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice to see Dube held accountable for his temper tantrum. I don't know what to make of Fabbro. When he plays he seems fine, but the way he is being used clearly indicates that he is not all that close to 100%. I suppose he has a few days to get healthier. I would also like to see a lot more from the Steel line. They almost always either take a wrist shot from the perimeter or lose the puck on an attempted cross crease pass. Dube is the key element on that line as he should be mixing things up in front of the net and on the boards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad