GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 16 • Group A: DEN (0) - CAN (8) F

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
He does PK, he's not one of the main ones but he's been out on it. That's just the excuse they fed through McKenzie.
They said they were going to start putting him out on it because otherwise he doesn't play with all the penalties we've been taking. What I've seen so far is pretty consistent with what Ducharme has been saying.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
He is far from the worst forward out there.

Comtois and Formeton have taken way dumber penalties, over much less offensively and haven't really done much physically or defensively.

Gadojevich, after leeching a few goals off his linemates the other day, has been a pretty big dud as well.

But the fact that there really isn't a better option than Dube for that first line says a lot about this team because he really should be a 3rd line guy for Canada in the WJHC but I am not sure who down the lines I would move up to replace him.
Gadjovich and Formenton kill penalties and excels at the defensive side of the game as well as bringing in some goal scoring and physicality. Gadjovich had 61 goals in his last 81 games. That speaks volumes.. They've been near perfect this tournament in PK.

Comtois and Dube don't provide much for what we already have. Dube hasn't won a single board battle, hasn't been defensively responsible as he's been caught puck watching a lot, and he's bobbled the puck too many times in the neutral zone especially last night. Comtois is a great physical guy but he and the puck better start becoming friends soon. Puck dies a lot on his stick.

Suzuki or Lind in place of Dube, and Glass in place of Comtois should have been a no brainer.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Gadjovich and Formenton kill penalties. Comtois and Dube don't. They've been near perfect this tournament in PK.

Formenton can't kill penalties when he is sitting in the box for sticking a guy in the face after the whistle. Pretty sure part of the reason you say they are almost perfect is in large part because of that play.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
read updated post

A lot of that is subjective BS from a biased fan.

Dube should clearly be on this team, not just for his play last year in the tournament, or his play during his time in junior or for his play in the camps and warm-up games all which clearly were more than enough to warrant him being on this team but also because there are clearly far more players up front that would be behind him in being replaced.

Look I get you are trying to crap on a Flames prospect because you are a Canucks fan but it is so transparent when you making stuff up about a guy in which there has been zero other talk about him not being deserving to be there.

Comtois, Steenbergeen, Gadojovich and Formenton are 4 clear cut guys that should have been cut before Dube and the list of others is probably longer as well.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
A lot of that is subjective BS from a biased fan.

Dube should clearly be on this team, not just for his play last year in the tournament, or his play during his time in junior or for his play in the camps and warm-up games all which clearly were more than enough to warrant him being on this team but also because there are clearly far more players up front that would be behind him in being replaced.

Look I get you are trying to crap on a Flames prospect because you are a Canucks fan but it is so transparent when you making stuff up about a guy in which there has been zero other talk about him not being deserving to be there.

Comtois, Steenbergeen, Gadojovich and Formenton are 4 clear cut guys that should have been cut before Dube and the list of others is probably longer as well.
Dube happens to be a Flames prospect so be it. That has nothing to do with analysis (opinion) of him. I've also been highly critical of Steel's lack of effort especially in the defensive zone and how he should use his linemates more often and such. But since he's producing, can't really say much.

I do agree that Comtois, Steenbergen, Gadjovich, Formenton, Dube are all expendable for sure but we can sit here all day and argue who should've made the team and who shouldn't. Just hope our play becomes a lot better otherwise we are in for a short tournament.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Dube happens to be a Flames prospect so be it. That has nothing to do with analysis (opinion) of him. I've also been highly critical of Steel's lack of effort especially in the defensive zone and how he should use his linemates more often and such. But since he's producing, can't really say much.

I do agree that Comtois, Steenbergen, Gadjovich, Formenton, Dube are all expendable for sure but we can sit here all day and argue who should've made the team and who shouldn't. Just hope our play becomes a lot better otherwise we are in for a short tournament.

Just to be clear though not a single observer of Team Canada ever mentioned Dube as a guy that shouldn't have made the team. He was at no point on the bubble or considered a fringe guy. SO it is a little silly for you to suggest he should have be left at home in favor of others pre-tournament.

I think he should no doubt be in a 3rd line checking/energy role. I think he should be killing penalties as well but maybe they think they need him for the PP and 5 on 5. He is being a little miscast in his role becuase of Canada's lack of offensive skill up front.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I was really close to mentioning how Formenton was not as impressive as he was in camp but he goes and scores
a goal against Denmark doesn't wipe out his stupidity costing Canada the game against the US. if i were coaching id have benched him and comtois for the rest of the tourney. neither are important to the team anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad