World Cup: 2018 WC Qualifiers Part II

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Congrats to Germany on winning the 2018 WC. The Italians are the only ones that stop them.

boooooring. Germany is certainly one of the favourites, sure. But I wouldn't even go so far as to peg them as clear favourites.
;-) we have some good or promising players in Forsberg, Claesson, Granqvist, Lindelöf, Olsen... Hopefully a couple of more develop and have a breakthrough before world cup and we may be able to advance

I'll look forward to being pleasantly surprised :) It'll be good to not have it just be a game of "feed Ibra", though I'll admit I'd like to see him draw in too:naughty:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Imagine needing to score a goal to qualify for the World Cup and benching Insigne but playing Immobile and Gabbiadini

Can't say that 11 deserved a different result.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I like Italy it's my 2nd favorite national team after Argentina but this is the best thing that could've happened to italian football. Assuming of course that they're going to start taking serious actions.

If it wasn't for Messi, I would've wished the same fate for Argentina. They also need to tear everything down and start again.

Reactions: maclean

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Ventura’s only major honour in his 31-year managerial career remains a Serie C1 title with Lecce all the way back in 1996.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
If he gets to play more in Dortmund he possibly could get to go with the team atleast.
I hope so but I would say Strandberg is the closest to a callup of the guys outside of the team right now. If Isak starts seeing regular Bundesliga time he's gonna be hard to leave off. 90% of this team will be the World Cup team though, no doubt.

He's not going to play much in the Bundesliga, as long as Auba stays healthy. I think he could possibly play in the Europa League and the Pokal, so maybe he can get another 10 starts between now and the end of the season.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I definitely hope Isak doesn't go to the World Cup or break out with any team other than Dortmund, lest some bigger club should try to buy him prematurely from the attention he gets.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
As a Swede that couldn’t care less about the national football team I had a strong feeling they would beat Italy. This Italian team simply has no marquee players and looks really average.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
He's not going to play much in the Bundesliga, as long as Auba stays healthy. I think he could possibly play in the Europa League and the Pokal, so maybe he can get another 10 starts between now and the end of the season.

I mean, it speaks for itself. He wasn't on the team for a single qualification game, so it's gonna be tough for him. Actually he was not even a starting player on the U21 team until a few months ago. But if anyone would do that sudden jump, it'd be a talent like him.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I definitely hope Isak doesn't go to the World Cup or break out with any team other than Dortmund, lest some bigger club should try to buy him prematurely from the attention he gets.

I know you hate Dortmund players playing international games, but it could be good for a player like Isak. How many games is he going to even play this season? Probably won't hit 20. When you have talented young players who play so little because there's so much quality competition, sometimes them getting in a full international tournament at a high level could be good for them. Thats very different than Weigl or Goetze or Auba or someone like that playing international games, which is an added workload.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I know you hate Dortmund players playing international games, but it could be good for a player like Isak. How many games is he going to even play this season? Probably won't hit 20. When you have talented young players who play so little because there's so much quality competition, sometimes them getting in a full international tournament at a high level could be good for them. Thats very different than Weigl or Goetze or Auba or someone like that playing international games, which is an added workload.

So when he breaks out and Real Madrid or Manchester City wants him, Watzke will cave after he's put in zero quality full seasons for Dortmund? Good for the shareholders, but for the rest of us, a nightmare. He can play with their U21's.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
It's an ironic stance some fans take, particularly from Northern European countries, where they pretend that such tactics are inherently 'cultural' to countries like Italy, even when their own teams are doing it right before their eyes. I saw Swedish players constantly dive, fake injuries, waste time, etc. If Italians were doing it, I can only imagine the barrage of insults and sweeping generalizations that would have been spewed.

Sweden played Italy's own game against them. I dispise diving and cheating, but couldn't care less if it's coming against Italy. This isn't the same swedish national team that we saw in the group stage. This isn't how you will usually see Sweden play.

I adore Italy in some ways, like seeing how proud they are for being italian when they sing the national anthem. But they are an easy team to dislike just by watching their antics on the pitch from time to time. It's basically everyone on the team, some more than others. Also take into account that their fans were booing Swedens national anthem. That's as disrespectful as it gets. If Sweden didn't adjust to the way Italy were "playing" by doing the same, they might not have gone through.

Reactions: JBeast and maclean

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
gettyimages-873770412-1510612258_zoom30_crop_800x600_800x600+63+14.jpg

Always had mixed feelings about the man, but what a career.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Take a look a this Italian squad compared to what they had 10-15 years back...they used to have a team full of world class talent and now...

They're going through a dip in generational talent much like Holland is right now and what Germany went through at Euro 2000.

They still have it. It didn't play. A bad coach can sink a team, doesn't matter what players they have. Between their back line, Verratti (suspended), Belotti, Insigne, Jorginho, Bernardeschi, and El Shaarawy a team like that should never miss the WC.

Instead they play losers like Gabbiadini, Immobile, Eder, and Parolo. Candreva and Darmian not that much better. Justice served I say. Any non-Italian that wants to see those players play WC games over players like Belotti and Insigne is a liar. I'm glad they're out.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Now it’s safe to say this is the worst Italian generation in decades

It's more on coaching than the talent. Belotti & Insigne is a pair of forwards most nations would be jealous of, and they have some nifty options for an attacking trio; Veratti is an absolute maestro, and the have some capable partners for him; and a lot of talent on the back line. They were just poorly coached, with a Conte they'd be a very tough team that could end some contender's run.

Reactions: East Coast Bias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad