World Cup: 2018 WC Qualifiers Part II

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I’m guessing St Petersburg and Kaliningrad will be flooded with the Vikings of all kinds

Well, some historicans actually think the Vikings were part of creating Russia many, many years ago...

Our blood already is in Russia. ;-)

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
The double standard some have with regards to diving is staggering. Sweden were diving and time wasting aplenty.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Reffing was bad for both sides, but Italy has no claims to a disavantage. If anything, the ref's mistakes favoured them.

No doubt. Not a single one of the situations they're complaining about was a scoring type situation. If they wanted a penalty kick, we wanted two or three. Etc. It was a pretty tough two games, but that's all.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo
Way to go, Sweden! Italy NT is boring. Now you guys MUST call Ibra up to the WC not only cause the dude is a legend but outside of Forsberg there isn't much talent offensively on this squad.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Does Isak have a chance to make the squad?

I hope so but I would say Strandberg is the closest to a callup of the guys outside of the team right now. If Isak starts seeing regular Bundesliga time he's gonna be hard to leave off. 90% of this team will be the World Cup team though, no doubt.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Nope. Corruption, diving, and cheating only exists in Italy.

It's an ironic stance some fans take, particularly from Northern European countries, where they pretend that such tactics are inherently 'cultural' to countries like Italy, even when their own teams are doing it right before their eyes. I saw Swedish players constantly dive, fake injuries, waste time, etc. If Italians were doing it, I can only imagine the barrage of insults and sweeping generalizations that would have been spewed.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Italy are the masters of cheating corruption diving in football for a long long time, of course everyone does it to some degree but there's no mistaking who are the worst. Personally I also don't like their defensive football most of the time but that's not the main argument...

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Please stop this Sweden vs Italy thing. Swedes in general love Italy and Italian soccer.

Our greatest of all time having played in Italian league for many seasons.

Zlatan, Gunnar Nordahl (in Italy he is almost greater than Zlatan by the old generation), Brolin, Liedholm, Gren and more. Actually Swedish soccer would be different if it wasn't for Italian soccer, that's for sure.

This was playoffs, almost like a war on it's own, now let's move on.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBeast and JimboA

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Give me a break. Every team dives/cheats.

I suppose, but some of them have turned it into a fine art.

Though I'm glad to be spared it this world cup, I've always found Sweden to be one of the more uninteresting teams at tournaments and don't particularly looking forward to their presence either, no offence swede bros

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Just remembered there's a chance South Ireland will get papped out too

What a tournament this is shaping up to be.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Italy have been absolutely garbage for the past 30 years with the absurd theatrical diving. 2006 WC was tainted with their tactics and I have witnessed numerous Italian teams dive.

It's engrained in their culture. This is why I could never stand playing in Italy as a kid. The quality of football was decent but it would be so f***ing frustrating with the constant fouls and stupidity.

Like I said earlier...it is so satisfying to see the complete lack of youth and know that country will never ever come close to another WC final in our lifetime.

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
Take a look a this Italian squad compared to what they had 10-15 years back...they used to have a team full of world class talent and now...

They're going through a dip in generational talent much like Holland is right now and what Germany went through at Euro 2000.

Ventura will never find a coaching job again.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This is why I could never stand playing in Italy as a kid. The quality of football was decent but it would be so ****ing frustrating with the constant fouls and stupidity.

Truth. As annoying as it is to watch it on the screen, it's muuuch worse to be playing pick-up football for fun and have a bunch of 40-year-old Italians who can't even run anymore flopping all over the pitch as if anyone effing cares

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Gotta give Sweden credit. They had the toughest route toward the WC out of any team but they managed. Knocking out the Dutch and the Italians on the way (with a little help from Lloris).

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
I suppose, but some of them have turned it into a fine art.

Though I'm glad to be spared it this world cup, I've always found Sweden to be one of the more uninteresting teams at tournaments and don't particularly looking forward to their presence either, no offence swede bros

;-) we have some good or promising players in Forsberg, Claesson, Granqvist, Lindelöf, Olsen... Hopefully a couple of more develop and have a breakthrough before world cup and we may be able to advance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad