World Cup: 2018 WC Qualifiers Part II

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They one where germany dominated possession and squandered numerous dangerous openings before France got lucky on the counter.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Great, someone new to football too !
You clearly have seen very few football to think it was the worst :laugh:
Evilo I've been here for about a decade talking football... but let's not have a discussion and just claim the other side as ignorant.

Classic Evilo.

Reactions: YNWA14

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Re: France vs Germany, I think Germany has a clear edge in midfield control, and that's always underrated in these discussions. Of course France has very good midfielders, but their biggest strengths lie more in creativity (Pogba) and play without the ball. Germany is able to pin even most top national teams deep in their own half, and it can be tricky to counter from there if they're playing well. Argentina vs. Germany 2014 was a similar comparison to this; Argentina also had an advantage in super-elite attackers but a disadvantage in territorial control. I'm not convinced France is better than Germany despite their depth and youth. Pretty even imo.

First its too easy to defend with pure effort and stamina. You almost have be lucky to score against a well trained and diciplinef defence, because players these days can cover a lot of space.

Not really. Just faster to make a national team that plays together a few weeks a year into a defensively solid team than to get an offense running well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If that's the worst call you've ever seen, you HAVE to be ignorant.
How many phantom goals have we seen?
How many 10 meter offsides?
How many atrocious fouls?
A WC final with full speed cleats in the chest?
A WC SF with a goalie sending someone to the hospital by trying to injure instead of trying for the ball?

How many seriously?
What an STUPID statement to say a full speed handball is the worst call you've ever seen. Just yesterday there were 3 clear penalties not given.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
In fact, just that year, that Georgia call was much worse. KEANE handballed the ball in Georgia's half and the ref called a penalty in FAVOR of Ireland.
Nobody knows why.

And how about that african team the other day? Everyone said the ref had to be bought given the phantom call. Called a penalty when nothing even happenned.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
That was a high profile error having a direct impact on the result and knocking out the underdog BUT yeah there's been so many major mistakes since then and before... This was more a case of a referee missing a call, huge error for sure, and not a case of a referee favouring the bigger team on purpose like we see all the time. : giving a soft penalty, not giving a red, not giving a second yellow.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
'Worst call' someone has ever seen is completely subjective and given the impact and obvious nature of the non-call who are you to decide it's ignorant to believe that? There are plenty on the same level and for him to believe the Henry one is the worst is entirely his call and doesn't have to line up with your biased views.

I still fume over the non-call against Puyol when Robben would have been clear in on Casillas in 2010 but eh.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
As a dutch fan the call that still makes me mad is the non call on Van Hooijdonk vs. Brazil in the 1998 1/2. That was a clear pk for shirt grabbing like it was called at the time and in the very same tournament earlier.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Holland should have had at least one red card before that, try to be honest for once.
Because I have a history of dishonesty? When have I not been honest? lol

Where did I say that Holland shouldn't have had calls against them?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
'Worst call' someone has ever seen is completely subjective and given the impact and obvious nature of the non-call who are you to decide it's ignorant to believe that? There are plenty on the same level and for him to believe the Henry one is the worst is entirely his call and doesn't have to line up with your biased views.

I still fume over the non-call against Puyol when Robben would have been clear in on Casillas in 2010 but eh.

exactly.
If that's the worst call you've ever seen, you HAVE to be ignorant.
How many phantom goals have we seen?
How many 10 meter offsides?
How many atrocious fouls?
A WC final with full speed cleats in the chest?
A WC SF with a goalie sending someone to the hospital by trying to injure instead of trying for the ball?

How many seriously?
What an STUPID statement to say a full speed handball is the worst call you've ever seen. Just yesterday there were 3 clear penalties not given.
Have seen all of those... however that call in context, 2 handballs back to back that directly altered the winner and loser in the match. Late into a qualifying game. The stakes were extremely high.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Well you are talking about a game in which Holland should have had at least 2 red cards...Give those and the Robben play probably doesn't happen.

But believe me as a referee I just can't defend the embarassing game that Webb had that day, just a total disgrace. And the Puyol play is another one of the major major undefendable mistake he made, well mistake= coward.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France

Well of course it is ignorant.
WC finals or WC semis have been decided by INCREDIBLE awful calls.
And yet a mere playoff game is "impact"?
As for biased, LOL. If saying this is hardly the worst call ever is biased, then by all means, what does that make of you?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Huh? Ireland suck, nobody cares about them, just as nobody cares about us.
I can think of a major television network in the US that has the WC2018 rights who are on their hands and knees praying for an Ireland victory today. Oh, and the tens of millions of the Irish diaspora around the world as well.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
exactly.

Have seen all of those... however that call in context, 2 handballs back to back that directly altered the winner and loser in the match. Late into a qualifying game. The stakes were extremely high.
Keep the good company :laugh:
That's not 2 handballs back two back. That's a handball, period.
It didn't alter the winner and loser, it altered a draw.

So tell me it's worse than Holland/Spain WC final?
Or Sevilla 82 WC semi?
Or 90 WC final?
Heck, or even Denmark/Brazil in 02?
Italy/Australia in 06?

But, SURE that PLAYOFF handball in a tied game was CLEARLY the worst call ever :biglaugh:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
And again, I didn't see any outrage here when a ref called a handball on a Georgia player when it was an irish player who handed the ball?
Gifiting them a penalty and a win?
How can you make it worse than that? Not only did the ref miss the call, he called it on the wrong team !!!

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
You mean Belgium-Brazil in 2002 I think the Wilmots goal? Disgrace and a clear call for the big team...

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
Keep the good company :laugh:
That's not 2 handballs back two back. That's a handball, period.
It didn't alter the winner and loser, it altered a draw.

So tell me it's worse than Holland/Spain WC final?
Or Sevilla 82 WC semi?
Or 90 WC final?
Heck, or even Denmark/Brazil in 02?
Italy/Australia in 06?

But, SURE that PLAYOFF handball in a tied game was CLEARLY the worst call ever :biglaugh:

ahhah!!! 10 years have passed by and still you do not accept that, for once, the better and stongest team won.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yeah sorry Belgium, certainly not Denmark. Awful call.
And somehow, two people here can make such ridiculous claims.
That's comparable to saying Robben is the best player that ever played...

Wait... :D

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
ahhah!!! 10 years have passed by and still you do not accept that, for once, the better and stongest team won.
What Italy/Australia?
Is that what you're talking about?

First, I didn't talk about the final, I talked about Italy cheating their way out of Australia. That's a fact. Maybe they would have won in OT, maybe not. Tough to say.
As for the final, i'll repeat the game was tight and clearly no team was better than the other. 10 player shot a penalty, 9 scored, one hit the post (and probably the best shooter on the pitch in fact). That's life. but to say the better team won is laughable. At no moment in the game did Italy dominate the match.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Wait how could I forget... for an argentinian supporter...

How does that Henry handball beat Maradona's hand of god? Seriously?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad