U18: 2018 U18 WJC's Magnitogorsk & Chelyabinsk Russia.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Nuts,...i can-not recall this kind of upset at u18 worlds, like ever.....nuts.

Czech's at these u18 worlds:

5 goals against Slovakia (L), 3 goals against Russia (L), 4 goals against Finland (L)
2 goals against France (W) = 1 W 3 L , 14 goals against (3.50 goals against per game)

Beats the favorites Canada 2-1. :huh:
Sport has no logic ... And especialy team sports.

Reactions: Jablkon

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Don Hay, coach of Canada, made some tremendous errors and looked like a rookie coach.
He fell in love with certain players, and kept going back with them.
Hillis who played a ton had no goals and took 6 minor penalties in the tournament. One against Swedes to allow them to force overtime with 1:30 left and 2 penalties at inoportune times today.
Aidan Dudas played all pp and pk had 1 goal in 3 games no assists and 4 total shots.
Smith who played better today had a horrendous tourny and had zero points.
Hay broke up the Noel, Veleno, McBain line to get Dudas into lineup and that ended up doing nothing.
Veleno played 4 games, got zero goals and 3 assists.
I could go on.
I liked the play of Lafrenière, LAVOIE, McBain, Byram, Rodrigue, Dellandrea (although he played too much) Bahl and Foudy.
Really strange coaching for someone as tenured as Hay.

Well, not sure he fell in love, he just went with what he believed would work best. He needed a center to replace Ail Thomas, I think, so he moved McBain to center that line, unless he made the move before Akil's injury...

The team did not play with focused aggression in the Czech end, I guess - probably the worst game they have played. 16/17 year-olds, eh!

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finland-USA in the gold medal game again?

Hopefully not.
Finland isn't never win USA in U18 WJC gold medal game.

Finland and USA are faced each others in U18 WJC gold medal game twice ( 2015 and 2017).
And as you probably remember Finland has lost both games.

Finland's only win vs USA was 2016 U18 WJC semifinal in Grand Forks

Last edited:

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
It's a new game, new teams - score starts 0-0, so anything can happen. Just ask Team Canada.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The Czechs beat Team USA at the U18 Five Nations tournament here in February, so Saturday's semi-final game is anything but a lock. The US did look very good today against Russia, though. Some excellent goaltending kept the game close until those 3rd period goals.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
But haven't they always done poorly in the preliminary round? I wouldn't be surprised if they play in the semifinal.

They always do poorly in preliminary round just to get spanked in the quaterfinals and go home. Czech U18 always goes from being somewhat of a contender at the Hlinka to hot garbage at the U18 WJC. This year is (will be) no different.
Called it.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
The Czechs beat Team USA at the U18 Five Nations tournament here in February, so Saturday's semi-final game is anything but a lock. The US did look very good today against Russia, though. Some excellent goaltending kept the game close until those 3rd period goals.

I've got the States as massive favourites in this one... they dominate the U18 like no other and just beat a very good Russian side 5-1. Having said that, all the pressure is on them to win and these Czechs were silver at Hlinka and now in Semi's here. Still, US should dominate this game.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I've got the States as massive favourites in this one... they dominate the U18 like no other and just beat a very good Russian side 5-1. Having said that, all the pressure is on them to win and these Czechs were silver at Hlinka and now in Semi's here. Still, US should dominate this game.

Two goals on empty net in that 5-1.

Doesn't USA U18 have their national team playing together the entire season in some league. I don't give any respect to that. It's almost like cheating. No other nation does that. Of course USA has advantage over any team with this system even if their team would otherwise be worse than some other team in talent.

Jez

Jun 6, 2017
New York
Finland and USA are faced each others in U18 WJC gold medal game twice ( 2015 and 2017).
And as you probably remember Finland has lost both games.

Third time's the charm...maybe! That's a game I'd like to see. Pretty evenly matched teams. Also Hughes and Turcotte vs Kakko would be a great opportunity to see 3 players who will – in my opinion – go in the top 5 in 2019!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Two goals on empty net in that 5-1.

Doesn't USA U18 have their national team playing together the entire season in some league. I don't give any respect to that. It's almost like cheating. No other nation does that. Of course USA has advantage over any team with this system even if their team would otherwise be worse than some other team in talent.
Other countries are beginning to consider the USA model - - I think Belarus is already doing something similar. Don't get mad just because USA Hockey had a good idea.

Reactions: Jablkon

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
Don Hay, coach of Canada, made some tremendous errors and looked like a rookie coach.
He fell in love with certain players, and kept going back with them.
Hillis who played a ton had no goals and took 6 minor penalties in the tournament. One against Swedes to allow them to force overtime with 1:30 left and 2 penalties at inoportune times today.
Aidan Dudas played all pp and pk had 1 goal in 3 games no assists and 4 total shots.
Smith who played better today had a horrendous tourny and had zero points.
Hay broke up the Noel, Veleno, McBain line to get Dudas into lineup and that ended up doing nothing.
Veleno played 4 games, got zero goals and 3 assists.
I could go on.
I liked the play of Lafrenière, LAVOIE, McBain, Byram, Rodrigue, Dellandrea (although he played too much) Bahl and Foudy.
Really strange coaching for someone as tenured as Hay.
I thought Veleno was Canadas best forward today.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

In previous years, the USA had separate U18 and U17 teams that played a half season in the USHL. This year, the USNDP fielded a U17 team in the USHL for the full season, and are currently in the USHL playoffs. However, the utilize a huge roster, so half of them are at the U18s, the other half are in the USHL playoffs. (I think I got that right)

Slovakia uses a similar model with their U20 team, as they play in the Slovakian Extraleague, albeit only 20 games per season.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
In previous years, the USA had separate U18 and U17 teams that played a half season in the USHL. This year, the USNDP fielded a U17 team in the USHL for the full season, and are currently in the USHL playoffs. However, the utilize a huge roster, so half of them are at the U18s, the other half are in the USHL playoffs. (I think I got that right)

Slovakia uses a similar model with their U20 team, as they play in the Slovakian Extraleague, albeit only 20 games per season.

It makes it more fair that half of the players aren't in U18 WHC then. I didn't know that so good to know.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
The better (and older) half
USNTDP Juniors

Reactions: Rocko604

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It's an interesting model, but I don't know if something like this would work in Canada, or even work logistically, given how hand in hand Hockey Canada and the CHL are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad