U18: 2018 U18 WJC's Magnitogorsk & Chelyabinsk Russia.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Thanks for Russian hockey federation to hosting great U18 WJC tournament.
Despite of Russia's elimination in quarterfinals there was many Russian fans and kids who were cheering for Finland.

It was great to see today's gold medal game vs USA in the stands was some local Russian fan to keep the cheering message which was written in Finnish. That was very nicely done.
Hopefully Chelyabinsk can host world juniors or IIHF men's worlds sometimes in the future.

Reactions: Frannel

Vohaul

Jan 24, 2017
Hell yeah, gold medal for Suomi. Feels good. The team played well throughout the tournament and deserved this.

To Be fair USA played really well in the final too and they had a really skilled team. Could have gone either way..

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Despite of Russia's elimination in quarterfinals there was many Russian fans and kids who were cheering for Finland.

It was great to see today's gold medal game vs USA in the stands was some local Russian fan to keep the cheering message which was written in Finnish. That was very nicely done.
Hopefully Chelyabinsk can host world juniors or IIHF men's worlds sometimes in the future.
Yeah, i'll cheer for Russia next time Finland is out of a tournament.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Congrats to Finland. It was a well -played game by both sides. Team USA let one get away, though, between that shorthanded game-winning goal (York never should have shot that puck into the Finnish player that started the breakaway) and Wahlstrom missing that wide open net at the end of the game.

Reactions: Jesse86436

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010

I'm sure the political climate had more impact for Russians cheering team Finland than the Finnish team itself.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
I'm sure the political climate had more impact for Russians cheering team Finland than the Finnish team itself.

Yes, that is maybe the reason. It's easier to cheer for peaceful European neighboring country (with most stabile 1300 km borderline of whole federation, shared history, a team playing in KHL, deep and complex cultural connections etc.) then for faraway country across-the-seas in an era of international twitter-diplomacy and cold war 2.0 arms race, I don't know. Class act anyways.

From Finnish perspective, we aren't used to expect that Russian Hockey audiences would root for us. Like never.

Maybe it was just about "to pick lesser evil" from Russian perspective.

CPFC

Sep 12, 2004
From Finnish perspective, we aren't used to expect that Russian Hockey audiences would root for us. Like never.

My personal experience is that Russian hockey fans in general are quite sympathetic towards Finland, while Canada (and USA to a lesser lextent) is of course the team to beat.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
My personal experience is that Russian hockey fans in general are quite sympathetic towards Finland, while Canada is of course the team to beat.

I don't know about exact details and nuances in that nowadays, but The Red Machine was one of primary mentors in a process of the rise of Finnish hockey. Would be happy thing to hear about these things from Russian hockey fans.

And Canada is of course the team to beat for everyone. For Finns losing a game to Team Russia isn't anywhere near as bad thing as it is to lose to our beloved enemy, "big brother" Sweden. ;)

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Kotkaniemi & Nordgren top forwards by fair margin, or did Hughes won you title

I think they should look at the team records more. Team with zero losses vs a team who ended up with 3 losses after the final. Then you select more than one player to the all-star 6 from that team with zero losses. It would make more sense to me and I think usually in IIHF tournaments they are selected that way.

Could be that the selections were made before the game ended. That kind of explains it I guess.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, that is maybe the reason. It's easier to cheer for peaceful European neighboring country (with most stabile 1300 km borderline of whole federation, shared history, a team playing in KHL, deep and complex cultural connections etc.) then for faraway country across-the-seas in an era of international twitter-diplomacy and cold war 2.0 arms race, I don't know. Class act anyways.

Maybe it was just about "to pick lesser evil" from Russian perspective.

Same reason why Chinese and Japanese love Finnish F1 drivers like Räikkönen and Häkkinen because it's so hard to cheer for many of the other countries the drivers represent. From top teams' drivers there aren't many to choose for anyways so Finland is the easy choice to cheer for.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
I really loved the Russian spectators. Usually U18 is played for empty arenas, but this time there was a nice amount of people in every game and the fans also supported teams other than Russia. A great U18 tournament!

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I really loved the Russian spectators. Usually U18 is played for empty arenas, but this time there was a nice amount of people in every game and the fans also supported teams other than Russia. A great U18 tournament!

Mostly, it was just families with their kids out to watch some good hockey and have some fun. It would have been nice if Russia had advanced, but it looked like the people of Chelyabinsk enjoyed the experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad