Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
By your logic say we trade Bozak and JVR for two 1st rounders and we lose in the first round. Anderson might get angry that we are rebuilding during a playoff run and demand a trade and Marleau retires. Then i say we traded Anderson, Marleau, JVR and Bozak for two 1st round draft picks. Using your logic that would be a different way of viewing it.

I've seen fans here argue that we traded Kessel for Andersen and Matthews.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
This is an almost BlueJays-like noncommittal path of seller vs buyer. It’s not like JVR and Komarov would end our playoff chances. If you are content to roll that broken tank Polak out there or Mr average himself Carrick, yet hang onto valuable UFAs that are replaceable to some extent internally then you failed miserably this day. And that’s not even factoring in the spend on Plekanec.

Pretty much. I'm mostly mad because we couldn't beat that deal? I didn't even want McDonagh and I would've paid that very very easily.

A similar trade for the Leafs would've looked something like:

Brown, Rasanen, Bracco + 1st + 2nd.

I wish we sold JVR/Bozak.

Reactions: rumman

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
We fixed out biggest issue, the defense isn't nearly as bad as people pretend. Are we likely to win the cup maybe not but this is just more experience for a young team. We also could surprise if Plekanec let's us have an effective checking line our other three lines coming in waves could be unstoppable. Or third wave is Bozak, JVR and Brown that's a deep offense.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Not trading Bozak/JVR/Komarov = giving up two firsts?

Wat
No difference once the seasons done of whether we traded picks for them or didn't trade them for picks.
The rebuild is over buddy.
The tank is over. There's still a part of this team in the rebuild phase.
No I don't regret it. We didn't overpay like some teams did today and are in a great spot to go all in starting next year.
I'm looking ahead to next year like you, just feel we'd be so much better off having these picks to trade as then we get to keep guys like Liljegren while adding huge pieces to the team.
this site is ****ing pathetic, might as well just shut it down during times when its going to be busy
Rt. does HF not realize they have to upgrade their servers if they want everyone to come to HF for trade deadline day?
Probably just one 1st (JVR). NYR got two, but McDonagh's not a UFA. Think we did what we could to add, no reason to subtract.
Saying the cumulative return of JVR (1st + 2nd), Bozak (2nd, or maaaaybe conditional 1st) and Komarov (2nd) with the 2nd traded adds up to roughly 2 1sts and a 2nd
??? Two 1sts? That's hilarious. Would not have gotten this much.
See my response to the quote just above yours

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I think assuming that ppl complaining about no moves equates to an all-in mentality or demand is more confusing and misguided

Reactions: kb

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
McDonagh is injured at the moment. And the haul NYR got for him was pretty expensive. Howden is good, same with Hajek and Namestnikov is a really solid young player. Don't think I would have wanted to give the equivalents of that. Would rather keep Dermott who has looked solid

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
WHy trade a 2nd for a plug like Plekanec if you weren’t going to upgrade on defense where everyone that knows anything about hockey knows that we need help on the backend? Makes no sense in burning a high asset if you aren’t going to try and make a run at it.
Man I’m frustrated.
Talk about poor asset management.
Not to mention we’re going to lose at least 2 of our 3 UFAs for nothing. How is that good asset management, when you could have flipped them for premium assets.
So what is it? Are we going for it? Standing pat. Was Lou sleeping?
How are we getting out of our own division?
F’in perplexed here...

Reactions: rumman and ToMaLe

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Wanted an upgrade on our rhd, not wasting assets on depth. Our ahl’ers are better then the depth dmen traded

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lamoriello says the team doesn't care that McDonagh is in Tampa Bay. They believe in the team, the future development, and are going to stick to that
well this is also worth looking at. Our core is much younger than Tampa's and out window is a lot longer. Making a move like this was much more important for them than for us

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Spent a 2nd for a slight upgrade and then did nothing else .

Not thrilled , if we were going to stand pat for the most part I would have rather sold JVR and kept our 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToMaLe

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Picks are also getting really overvalued. You have to take your chances when you can. The pick we got for JVR probably has. 65% chance of being a 4th liner, bottom pairing or waiver fodder. People focus on the 5%and not the average return. Baileys deal may have also brought JVR down to a more reasonable price.

Reactions: ThewThew

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
Quite happy. It's not time to blow the farm on a run. The Shanaplan is for a long term run, year after year. The stable needs to be built more.

Reactions: ToMaLe

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Lamoriello says the team doesn't care that McDonagh is in Tampa Bay. They believe in the team, the future development, and are going to stick to that
That just sounds like the person who says they totally don't care that the girl they like went to the dance with another guy. Totally happy with where they are as a person.

Not much else he can say. "We couldn't improve the team, so best of luck to the guys we do have."

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Again, I really hope we find out what we were willing to give up for McD.

I mean, it was reported that we made a push for him, so we were definitely very interested. If the sticking point was Liljegren, I'm happy we didn't make a deal, although I think we still could've easily beat Tampa's offer without him.

Reactions: Pi

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
McDonagh is injured at the moment. And the haul NYR got for him was pretty expensive. Howden is good, same with Hajek and Namestnikov is a really solid young player. Don't think I would have wanted to give the equivalents of that. Would rather keep Dermott who has looked solid

We don't really have the equivalent of what Tampa gave NYR. We have players that are way better in Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, Dermott who are either stars or becoming solid NHLers and a top prospect in Liljegren that is way better than guys like Hajek and Howden.

They gave substandard prospects and picks. We could have given them better picks but a guy like Liljegren is not something we part with.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Meh.
I’m mostly okay with it. Wish they were in on someone like Ian Cole but other than that there wasn’t much out there I liked at the price.

I don’t get those who think we either had to go all in or sell. It’s way to early to be making all in moves. Our 3 best forwards are 21 or under. Our #1 Dman is 23. We have tons of time to let the team grow before we have to take our shot.
But at the same time selling off the UFAs would have sent a terrible message to the kids. Work hard, do everything the coaches ask or you and learn to be better 2 way players and then as soon as you have something to show for it we will blow up the team around you.
Yes the pieces we could have gotten for JVR and Bozak have value but so does showing confidence in the kids and having a hard fought round or two in the playoffs. We already have a good prospect pool and nearly all our picks in the draft. I don’t mind sacrificing some more that we could have had if it helps with the development of our young team.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I still really do like the Plek acquisition, but if we were only going to be doing that I still sell JVR (and probably Bozak) and try your youth in the playoffs.

Acquire an OEL/Karlsson/Doughty/Tanev in the offseason with the assets you got for them.

Watching Polak in the playoffs will literally make me want to kill myself.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Pretty much. I'm mostly mad because we couldn't beat that deal? I didn't even want McDonagh and I would've paid that very very easily.

A similar trade for the Leafs would've looked something like:

Brown, Rasanen, Bracco + 1st + 2nd.

I wish we sold JVR/Bozak.

This is not the equivalent of what Tampa gave up. Everyone Tampa gave us is better than who you listed. Howden can play and is miles better than bracco, Hajek is a 6'5 moble dman, namestnikov > brown

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
a Holl call up would have to be far more likely no?, Lilly isn't ready yet he hasn't even been playing every game for the marlies. Id take holl over polak all day
Holl played well in those few games but Polak has more value to the Leafs right now as he will do what ever it takes to win. If it was the start of the season it would be good bye Polak but he is a D man who will be in and out of the playoff line up depending on what is needed.

Ice time is going to change a lot going into the play offs with our top D man each playing 2 to 3 minutes more pregame reducing the minutes available for our 6-7 D man.

We have Polak, Carrick and a couple of call up as our depth D man who will be our 6th D man.

Time will tell who will be called up to help

Reactions: studebaker17

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Yeah, it was hilarious that Rangers fans were insisting it would cost Liljegren + Kapanen, and if we wouldn't pay that than we weren't getting him. Great stuff.

well it sounds like we made an offer and they went with Tampa so if in said offer didn't include those 2 then they were right no?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The most amazing thing about the deadline threads is the uncanny ability of people to not understand what people who wanted to move on JVR and Bozak were suggesting all along and even though people are correcting them, they still get it wrong.

Trading out some players to get picks to get better players in positions of concern is not SELLING. It's simply tweaking so we can better contend for a cup. Basically nobody at all just wanted to sell for picks and do nothing, it was always sell and buy a Dman. Always.

The worst thing.. Polak is still a preferred Leafs Dman going into the PO.

Reactions: Sonny21

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I'm pretty content. Upgraded the depth of the roster (our 4th line should be able to handle tougher competition now), gained a couple of future draft picks. Still have 7 picks in this year's draft including picks in the first 3 rounds and can keep drafting/developing.

In other words got a little better to compete now, but stick to the long term plan of drafting/developing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad