Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I mean, we upgraded at C which is fine.. kinda hard to feel like were "all in" now since we are still going to have Roman Polak on our D for the playoffs. IMO we didn't upgrade the position that needed upgrading the most, I thought we could have rolled out with Moore and upgrade on D.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I'm fine with it. There is a lot of growth from within that simply needs time, they are sticking to their plan and not getting too far ahead of themselves.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We fixed out biggest issue, the defense isn't nearly as bad as people pretend. Are we likely to win the cup maybe not but this is just more experience for a young team. We also could surprise if Plekanec let's us have an effective checking line our other three lines coming in waves could be unstoppable. Or third wave is Bozak, JVR and Brown that's a deep offense.

I am not confident in guys like Bozak and JvR in the playoffs. They usually disappear during tight checking intense hockey.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Pleks is actually a big upgrade that I endorse and love and like, the problem... He should be playing in Bozak's spot but we will see what happens with that. Pleks > Bozak

Babs can now roll four lines evenly with short shifts. Won't matter what line hes on.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Lou Lamoriello said the Leafs weren't interested in Mike Green.

For context, got asked about the report that Green didn't want to waive for Toronto

"that's an unfair question for Mike Green, but we were not interested"

:laugh: that's like the perfect answer. just like. ping.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I can't say I'm unhappy with how things worked out

I think Plekanec is going to seriously help this team shut down our opponents best lines and while I probably would have gone after Cole im not unhappy if Dermott gets important minutes with Borgman and Holl still waiting for a chance in the minors

I also wouldn't have done the McDonagh deal, its ok for Tampa they have plenty of talent waiting in the minors and we're just not in a position to do that now without gutting our team of depth well into the future

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
McDonaugh would have been a nice addition, but if we can get Karlsson or Doughty at the draft or next year Id rather have them in the long run than Mcdonaugh. This was the perfect trade for TB IMO b/c they have a bonafide stud #1 and adding McDonaugh gives them that depth they needed on the back end.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Not knowing what the Leafs attempted to do trade wise, or turned down trade wise, I don't know to be happy or dis-appointed so voted 'meh'. I think Plekanec is a good fit and did not cost much.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Looking at Nash's though, I'm pissed we kept JVR. Especially because JVR is twice the player of both of them.

Nash's return?

He only really returned a late 1st and Spooner. Plus Rangers had to take 50% of Belesky's contract. A 7th doesn't really matter. Lindgren's stock has fallen hard since he was drafted 2 years ago.

None of the wingers got great returns.

JVR is the lifeline to our powerplay lately. He and Mitch. Can't trade that away for a pick right before the playoffs.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Still think we are really going to regret not moving JVR (unless we can re-sign him) but I'm happy we didn't do anything stupid.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We could have matched that McDonagh package, but it would have cost Liljegren + Kapanen + 1st, which would have been too much, unless McDonagh came with term. Personally, I think a package of Liljegren + 1st + Bracco/Rasanen + 2nd beats that package as well.....replacing Bracco/Rasanen with Korshkov/Johnsson/Grundstrom makes it even more attractive.

Anyone who think JVR or Bozak were returning futures good enough to warrant moving them should revisit how today went. Kane went for a 2nd (conditional 1st, but that condition is a huge stretch)...Maroon for a 3rd.

There's no winger market......Bozak might have fetched a 2nd......

We went in and out today as best as we could have hoped with hindsight in mind.

Nash didn't get a great return either. They got a one-dimensional fast, but undersized C in Spooner and a late 1st. The other prospects are nothing particularly special. A 1st + Frederic package would have been notably better than the package they got- it only looks good because there was so much quantity, and because Nash was overvalued- i.e. relative to the other wingers that were available in the market.....the only solace was that the Rangers sold early before the price on every other available winger sunk.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
My pocket book might be happy by this TD results.

In the summer I placed my Vegas bet on Tampa Bay to win the Cup and if they do I take home a cool $3,600 and the additions of McDonagh and Miller only make a strong team even stronger.

So I can take solace in the fact that if my Leafs don't win the Cup, I can take my wife on a nice cruise if TB wins it all.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
JVR’s scoring history in the playoffs is fine. He’s also used in a sheltered offensive role, and his biggest impact is on the PP which can’t really be checked out of the game.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I can't say I'm unhappy with how things worked out

I think Plekanec is going to seriously help this team shut down our opponents best lines and while I probably would have gone after Cole im not unhappy if Dermott gets important minutes with Borgman and Holl still waiting for a chance in the minors

I also wouldn't have done the McDonagh deal, its ok for Tampa they have plenty of talent waiting in the minors and we're just not in a position to do that now without gutting our team of depth well into the future

for me it's not so much mcDonagh.
i just think... it's kind of hard to believe we couldn't get something.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We saw the affect Boyle had on the team last year. We looked deeper, and the players looked more confident. I think Plekanec can do much more than Boyle, and this team overall is better than last years.

Hopefully everyone can put everything aside, and just enjoy this run we are going to go on.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Looking at Nash's though, I'm pissed we kept JVR. Especially because JVR is twice the player of both of them.

Nash is riding off of his former reputation IMO.

But also you cannot pick and choose your return. Obviously price's dropped today and Buffalo tried to hold out for a return like Nash (if not better) but had to settle in the end.

In order for the Leafs to move JVR they would have had to have taken a package similar to Kane than Nash.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I am not confident in guys like Bozak and JvR in the playoffs. They usually disappear during tight checking intense hockey.

Bozak has 6 points in 11 games, not fantastic but hardly bad and he had 4 points in 6 last run which is decent for a third line center. JVR has 25 points in 52 games, 3 points in his last run which also isn't bad.

They both seem pretty good in the playoffs?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
for me it's not so much mcDonagh.
i just think... it's kind of hard to believe we couldn't get something.

I think we were looking at McDonagh and Cole.

Cole went first thing this morning, while McDonagh talks were still ongoing. To be fair, OTT probably wanted the Cole deal out of the way to focus on Karlsson talks.

So it came down to McDonagh. No other D were readily on the block. Sounds like the Leafs could have gotten him if they gave up Liljegren.

Management obviously felt they didn't need McDonagh that badly.

I love how Lou mentioned specifically that Travis Dermott changed the way management was looking at things entering the deadline.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not happy that the pending UFAs like bozak/jvr were not traded; added another pending UFA for a 2nd

Happy that we didn't trade futures for a friggen rental

Conclusion: I am relatively "okay" not too happy or too sad with that happened with the Leafs and how Lou handled the trade deadline

Domonsky

Nov 6, 2016
Montréal
I feel a bit sad! I really tough we would have seen a good push from the leafs this year for the playoffs.

I feel like Lou had to do more than just that for the plecky trade to makes sens. I think he actually gave up a 2nd for nothing since I dont think plecky alone cannot be the answer for the cup! Especially since we know how plecky always disapear in playoffs.

I think Lou had to go for it with a good D or something in addition of plecky or do nothing at all.

Tampa will be tough to pass for the leafs now. Hope they do it tho!

daner

Feb 18, 2009
I'm happy we didn't commit to McDonagh. I really believe Tavares will sign here and we'll need every dollar in the offseason to do so.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I think we were looking at McDonagh and Cole.

Cole went first thing this morning, while McDonagh talks were still ongoing. To be fair, OTT probably wanted the Cole deal out of the way to focus on Karlsson talks.

So it came down to McDonagh. No other D were readily on the block. Sounds like the Leafs could have gotten him if they gave up Liljegren.

Management obviously felt they didn't need McDonagh that badly.

I love how Lou mentioned specifically that Travis Dermott changed the way management was looking at things entering the deadline.

Not to throw gas on the fire but Polak's not looked that bad recently, I remember him getting better down the stretch last year also.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad