Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't like giving up a 2nd round pick for a minor upgrade (and rental) on the fourth line if we weren't going to make any trades to fill the issues we have on defence. We're a contender, but I would put our odds of winning very low.

I don't think the intent was to be done with Plekanec only. I feel we were in on the two big D names out there but there was just no deal that made sense, or allowed to be done in the case of Green if he didn't waive his NTC.

Reactions: colchar

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Tampa has Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Sergachev , Stralman, Hedman, McDonagh, Johnson, Palat, and Vasilevskiy on their roster. How the f*** is that even possible? Thank god they're gonna be in cap hell in the next couple years.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
It's proven that you don't win buying at the trade deadline, yet folks are still pissed we didn't get McDonagh. I like our non-moves today. Still have tons of assets to make some moves at the draft (Doughty/Karlsson), and cap space to make moves in free agency (Tavares/Carlson). We are still only in year 3 of the rebuild. And as great as McDonagh is, he's a left shot. We have Rielly, Dermott, Gardiner, Hainsey, Borgman, we don't need another LHD. It's a RHD defenceman that this team is missing.

Rielly - Doughty/Karlsson/Carlson
Dermott - Zaitsev
Gardiner - Liljegren

That's the D that is going to win us a cup.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hedman - Stralman
McDonagh - Sergachev
vs
Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev

or

McDonagh - Rielly
Gardiner - Hainsey
vs
Hedman - Stralman
Sergachev - Dotchin

we should've gone for it

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Green would not waive to come here was reported.

We never gave up 2 1st this is pure nonsense. We will get over 10m in cap space what is that worth?

I like that we picked up a very good defensive center improving our team defensively as defence is a team concept and not just on the two defenders who play as defenceman. I also think not trading for a D man will see us call up a D man to see just how he will fit in for our playoff run.

We may see Lilly up to see how he can handle the NHL players as he has all the tools needed to be very good in the NHL.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nobody is mad about not buying at the deadline. I am mad that we did not make the moves needed to make us a more rounded team.

We are running Polak and Carrick. Pleks helps over Bozak but apparently we are using him on L4. That's fine I guess but we essentially did nothing but spend a lot of asset value on a really big long shot.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Overall, it's the same thing as last year.

A late 2nd round pick to bring in a veteran centre to provide depth and support to our young talent, and keep the rest of our assets.

Hard to be mad. Worry about Tampa Bay if/when we face them in the playoffs.

Reactions: kb

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
it's not even McDonagh.
we didn't do anything.
(sigh). hopefully no one gets injured on the defense... but how we couldn't get something?

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Just getting Pleks and keeping JVR and Bozak is not going for it. How can anyone be happy or say we are going for it? We are not going for it, we have Polak on D, we didn't even fix the one thing we needed most.

We improved our C. You would have complained if they spent more on rentals I'm sure. Obviously the D worth getting were to expensive, so now your complaining Lou did not overpay.

Your position is not all that reasonable. Small spend to improve our C depth without mortgaging the future. Still a good team with a chance to win a round.

The sky is not falling.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They gave up a 2nd and some junk, not sure what deadline the OP was watching.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Green would not waive to come here was reported.

We never gave up 2 1st this is pure nonsense. We will get over 10m in cap space what is that worth?

I like that we picked up a very good defensive center improving our team defensively as defence is a team concept and not just on the two defenders who play as defenceman. I also think not trading for a D man will see us call up a D man to see just how he will fit in for our playoff run.

We may see Lilly up to see how he can handle the NHL players as he has all the tools needed to be very good in the NHL.

a Holl call up would have to be far more likely no?, Lilly isn't ready yet he hasn't even been playing every game for the marlies. Id take holl over polak all day

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Probably just one 1st (JVR). NYR got two, but McDonagh's not a UFA. Think we did what we could to add, no reason to subtract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad