WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
USA has great talent and should be strong next year too, bored so I came up with a roster.
Tkachuk-Poehling-Wahlstrom
Farabee-Mishmash-Reedy
Cockerill-Norris-Barratt
Robertson-Badini-Lodnia
J.Hughes

Samberg-Farrance
Anderson-Wilde
Gildon-Q.Hughes
M.Samuelsson

Primeau
St.Cyr

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I know alot of you guys were high on Quinn Hughes at the beggining, what happened? Is he that bad?

He is really talented but i think his defensive game have to improve a lot. Still makes some stupid mistakes and trust his offensive game too much sometimes. But he is only 18 and next year he is really important player for USA.

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
I know alot of you guys were high on Quinn Hughes at the beggining, what happened? Is he that bad?

The Quinn Hughes criticism is jumping the shark - big time. He hasn't been great, but he has not been the beer league slouch many would have you believe. He is an electric player who is playing in the World Juniors at 18 years and 2 months old. That's right - he is THAT young. I wonder how many of the 'critics' knew that. If he was 78 days younger he'd be an '00 it'd be incredible what he accomplished even making the team.

He has long dominated international play at his age group and he'll do so again in this tournament next season. People's outsized expectations for him this year are there business - crucifying the kid for not living up to them is unfair.

As an aside - I despise when people crush great players for not reaching outsized expectations and pump up lesser players who they didn't expect anything from.

Case in point - Scott Perunovich. I've bitten my tounge because I don't like to be too critical but watching Hughes get ripped while Perunovich is praised for playing equally as bad if not worse is driving me crazy.

Perunovich has been timid, indecisive, telegraphic, took an awful penalty last night and has produced seemingly a turnover per shift. On the goal last night the two players in question switched - then inexplicably Perunovich jumped back towards the middle also giving the Russian forward a clear lane to the net. But it's Hughes that gets blamed for #15s move because he's the prospect.

And since few had heard of Perunovich and he has a goal and an assist more than people expected him to have he's been playing well? The game is too fast for him - at 19.5 years old. He should not be on this team over Walsh, Gildon, Kemp or, quite frankly, Benton Maass. The only reason he made it ahead of those players is because he's an NCHC student-athlete and Motzko coaches against him...

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I disagree there. Perunovich hasnt been lights out but hes been much better than Hughes in this tournament. That goal last night was clearly Hughes' fault as he misread the switch and then pivoted the wrong way. Even though the goal shouldnt have gone in in the first place

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Call it the way it is

No way Hughes should have made this roster

he sucked big time

thats it thats all

NewHampshire

Mar 25, 2015
Well have to agree to disagree - because I'm set. Perunovich has had two hands worth of plays in this tournament where you can almost see him thinking - do I make this pass, I'm not sure, maybe, ok, oops the puck has been turned over...

On the goal last night you can see them switch with Perunovich heading towards the rusher and then Perunovich cuts back to the middle creating a wide open lane (yes on a goal that should have been saved).

If anything it's on both players as they seemed set to switch and then both changed their mind (as Hughes does turn back towards the shooter). Whether they should have switched or not - or Hughes should have been there or not - they did switch and Perunovich just needed to take the man. His move back towards the middle creates the lane to walk in.

You can see it right here at 38 seconds #15 coming across, eyes on the shooter (while Hughes starts to follow the passer), and for some reason pushes hard edge back across to the middle, eyes still on the shooter, then can't recover in time to get to constest the shot. He was coming across on the switch and then stopped. Period.

It doesn't really matter and I'm not going to argue more about it. I disagree strongly that Perunovich has played well at all - he has improved some since early pool play - that doesn't really matter either. I hope he knocks the next two out of the park. The topic is Hughes who is in this tournament lugging the puck as barely an 18 year old. And the criticism of him is ignorant of that fact and lazyily attributed because people wanted to see a star...

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I dont disagree that Hughes will be a star at all. You can see how high his ceiling is. He has had a couple boneheaded turnovers on the rush and in his dzone that just cant happen at this level. Hes no Dahlin, but hes not a slouch, a definite top 15 pick in my eyes.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Do you guys think semifinal against Sweden can finally broke 10k mark in KeyBank Center? Hope guys will finally get good support.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
I disagree there. Perunovich hasnt been lights out but hes been much better than Hughes in this tournament. That goal last night was clearly Hughes' fault as he misread the switch and then pivoted the wrong way. Even though the goal shouldnt have gone in in the first place
Totally agree.
Perunovich has made some mistakes but he's been really good overall.
Hughes has struggled big time.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
very glad to see Brown in - I am sure some rust so I see why he is on the 4th line, but as the game goes and he gets back into things, I can see him lining up between Yamamoto and Bellows..

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
very glad to see Brown in - I am sure some rust so I see why he is on the 4th line, but as the game goes and he gets back into things, I can see him lining up between Yamamoto and Bellows..

I like that idea

Tkachuk - Mittlestadt - Harper
Bellows - Brown - Yamamoto
Jones - Poehling - Anderson
Frederic - Norris - Tufte

Is how I'd like to see things end up. Gives us 2 very talented scoring lines, a solid checking line, and then a meh 4th line.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
This illustrates the bias against Quinn perfectly. When Quinn makes a bad punch, Quinn gets blamed. When Perunovich makes a bad pinch, Quinn gets blamed. Welcome to the internet. :shakehead

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Pretty fast period of hockey by both teams. Sweden seems to have trouble controlling Team USA in the offensive zone, so need to establish that presence more frequently. It could easily be 1 - 1 as Woll made an incredibly lucky save on the Sweden PP and Anderson missed a wide-open tap-in on the USA PP. Mittelstadt needs to shoot more. Overall, I think Team USA should be happy with how little dangerous possession, let alone chances, Sweden was able to generate that period.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
take this scoreless period and run. I think Sweden was hoping on some US nerves, didn't really happen...now lets open the flood gates and start burying these guys.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This feels like one of those games where the lack of secondary scoring presence is going to haunt them.

Gustavsson is playing really well, the US isn't getting PPs, and the US is flubbing their best chances.

Motzko and company need to coach with some urgency in the third.

983 others

Aug 26, 2009
Thank you to Casey Mittelstadt for being a puck hog, guess he needs those youtube highlights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad