WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Woll has been best US player in this game. Too many stupid penalties. I liked first period but in second Sweden was clearly better.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Well I don’t know what to say about this US team. They seemed talented on paper and played pretty well in terms of zone time but could never seem to score enough.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Parsons wouldn’t save them in this game. First goal maybe with an epic save. Goal 2 no way. 3 and 4 the team quit anyway

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
USA really missing Tyler Parsons. That guy knows how to steal games away

Not really. They haven't need a game "stolen" all tournament, they didn't need a game "stolen" last year, and Parsons didn't steal them any.

The lack of secondary scoring was bound to bite them again and this is it. They had their chances early in this one and didn't capitalize. When they flubbed that 3-on-0 to possibly tie the game late in the 2nd, and threw away their PP in the process, the team folded like a cheap tent.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
When you have garbage like Poehling, J. Anderson and Yamamoto playing every other shift in your top 6 are you really a good team?

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Not really. They haven't need a game "stolen" all tournament, they didn't need a game "stolen" last year, and Parsons didn't steal them any.

The lack of secondary scoring was bound to bite them again and this is it. They had their chances early in this one and didn't capitalize. When they flubbed that 3-on-0 to possibly tie the game late in the 2nd, and threw away their PP in the process, the team folded like a cheap tent.

Parsons' 17 saves in OT and perfect shootout in the Gold Medal game say otherwise. Canada outshot the US 50-35 in the Gold Medal game.

US has Parsons to thank for last year

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Pretty terrible tournament. Arena is empty and this team just quit. Last year it was opposite. And of course now they make nice play when game is over.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Parsons' 17 saves in OT and perfect shootout in the Gold Medal game say otherwise. Canada outshot the US 50-35 in the Gold Medal game.

US has Parsons to thank for last year

Parsons was great last year, but outplaying the other goalie doesn't mean your goalie stole the game. It means your goalie gave your team a better chance to win than the other goalie. If Parsons wasn't a Flames prospect your opinion would be different.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I always wonder how its not against NCAA rules to recieve those watches that the players of the tournament get

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Congrats to Team Sweden. It was only a matter of time before they broke through. Dahlin is a special talent.

For Team USA, what a sour performance. They played a strong first period, and while the 2nd was pretty choppy for both teams, they weren't bad. The response to the opening goal was really strong as well, but they folded in a pathetic fashion in the 3rd.
  • This is one of those "what if" games as those two teams were pretty darn even. Team USA had plenty of chances to score and never capitalized when it mattered (a lot of credit to Gustavsson). @Xokkeu was dead-on with his reference to the Sochi bronze medal game against Finland.
  • The 3-on-0 sequence is the perfect summary for this game. A 3-on-0 breakaway, Mittelstadt finally decides to be selfish, doesn't even get a great chance on net, and Bellows gives away the PP. Replay that sequence 10 times and they probably score most of the time, but alas.
  • Fox was really fighting it on the PP today, easily losing possession a bunch of times, especially to start the PP after clear face-off wins. He also put Bellows in a really tough position multiple times just shoveling the puck into his feet on the boards, easily allowing Sweden to outman him.
  • Specialty teams were embarrassing. The PP is still woefully predictably and it gave up 2 goals.
  • The only positive is that the game's over and it means there's only one game left that will feel like a two-and-a-half hour NCAA promotion featuring Dave Starman.
I really hope the team shows some resolve and comes back with fury tomorrow. They could be easily playing for gold and yet they pretty easily gave it away. How will they react?

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Well I still remember when we were closer to relegation than metaling so it’s certainly better

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Who would you all go with in goal tomorrow?

It shouldn't be Woll. He's not to blame for today's game at all. The 4th goal wasn't great, but the team had already quit at that point. I wouldn't play him because he's never taken the reins and earned his continual starting role. He's continually been average and I wouldn't even dress him.

With USAH teams in bronze medal games, you never know what you're going to get. I'm fine with either Oettinger or Swayman. Either guy would be hungry to prove they deserved a bigger role and may give the team a reason to rally.

I kind of want Swayman to get the nod. He's been very good in the NCAA this year and I imagine he'd be fired up to get into some game action. I think we could use at least one guy guaranteed to be into the game. And since we took three '98 goalies for zero reason, we might as well give them all a game. That's the only way that management decision would make any sense.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Congrats to Team Sweden. It was only a matter of time before they broke through. Dahlin is a special talent.

For Team USA, what a sour performance. They played a strong first period, and while the 2nd was pretty choppy for both teams, they weren't bad. The response to the opening goal was really strong as well, but they folded in a pathetic fashion in the 3rd.
  • This is one of those "what if" games as those two teams were pretty darn even. Team USA had plenty of chances to score and never capitalized when it mattered (a lot of credit to Gustavsson). @Xokkeu was dead-on with his reference to the Sochi bronze medal game against Finland.
  • The 3-on-0 sequence is the perfect summary for this game. A 3-on-0 breakaway, Mittelstadt finally decides to be selfish, doesn't even get a great chance on net, and Bellows gives away the PP. Replay that sequence 10 times and they probably score most of the time, but alas.
  • Fox was really fighting it on the PP today, easily losing possession a bunch of times, especially to start the PP after clear face-off wins. He also put Bellows in a really tough position multiple times just shoveling the puck into his feet on the boards, easily allowing Sweden to outman him.
  • Specialty teams were embarrassing. The PP is still woefully predictably and it gave up 2 goals.
  • The only positive is that the game's over and it means there's only one game left that will feel like a two-and-a-half hour NCAA promotion featuring Dave Starman.
I really hope the team shows some resolve and comes back with fury tomorrow. They could be easily playing for gold and yet they pretty easily gave it away. How will they react?

So glad I can watch this on tsn and not nhl network

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->