WJC: 2018 Team USA Roster Talk

SalVitro

Nov 6, 2014
witness protection

So USA is going to play Russia with 11 forwards. Why didn't they call somebody up knowing they have two injured forwards? If they lose, I blame it on poor roster strategy...

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
So USA is going to play Russia with 11 forwards. Why didn't they call somebody up knowing they have two injured forwards? If they lose, I blame it on poor roster strategy...
They aren't allowed to. Once the roster is submitted it's final

SalVitro

Nov 6, 2014
witness protection
They aren't allowed to. Once the roster is submitted it's final

Oh, okay. So I guess the real mistake was taking Lockwood after he dislocated his shoulder in the exhibition game vs Belarus. Only to have him injured again in the USA vs Canada game. I guess the risk didn't pay off.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I really hope USAH didn't select Lockwood for the team if they thought he wasn't 100%. Because if they did, not only was it a wasted roster spot, but Lockwood is likely done for the entire season as well.

Losing Brown is tough for tonight. Not that I would expect much out of him with a bum ankle, but hopefully they can pull off a win tonight and give Brown a chance to return.

Time for other forwards to step up.

Woll needs to be on a short leash tonight.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Oh, okay. So I guess the real mistake was taking Lockwood after he dislocated his shoulder in the exhibition game vs Belarus. Only to have him injured again in the USA vs Canada game. I guess the risk didn't pay off.
Lockwood's injury was a totally freak play...even if he wasn't hurt before that awkward backwards trip over the net he still would have been hurt after it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Pretty suprised Woll is starting against Russia.
Eh, not really. It's not like Oettinger did anything to steal the net, if you swap and they get by on another "meh" start from Oettinger (drawing them even at 2 "meh's" a piece) do you go back to Woll?

With Swayman not dressing it's pretty clear they're going on National team history/pedigree and percieved ability rather than recent play, and between Woll/ Oettinger it's been pretty much a coin flip the last three years.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
hoping for a big win tonight- no Brown is tough, Lockwood looked to finally start heading in the right direction...now it is time for these 3 to step up big time - Yamamoto, Poehling, and Norris - all have been very underwhelming as higher first round picks.

I also think Trent Frederic has a good showing as well.

Woll looked good in the first 2 periods then started to look shaky, this is a big pressure game, I would go with the kid who beat Canada in front of almost 50,000 people in net if I was the coach..

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Woll looked good in the first 2 periods then started to look shaky, this is a big pressure game, I would go with the kid who beat Canada in front of almost 50,000 people in net if I was the coach..
Same here, I'm very surprised they're not riding Oettinger the rest of the way.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Woll with another soft goal. D-men got crossed up on that one, but there's not excuse for letting in that weak backhand on a wide angle. Woll spots the opposition at least one goal a game.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
They need to pot a PP goal to start the 2nd. That was a dominating period and yet they're only up by 1 thanks to Woll.

Fox looks dialed in so far.

Yamamoto looked really good as well. He skated better that period than he has all tournament.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nice pinch and play by Samberg on that 2nd goal. Mittelstadt is off the charts as far as talent goes.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
More of an uneven period, but still carried most of the play. Really up-and-down officiating against both teams.

Coaches need to talk to the PP, simplify things, and shoot the puck. Fox has a really strong knack for getting the puck through traffic, but he's not shooting it, which has made the pass to mostly Mittelstadt fairly predictable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad