Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If Seguin goes, I will finally stop buying my season tickets. Hope the threat of others doing the same influences their decision. But, they may not have control (or lost it by not using it correctly over the last five years and having horrible teams)
The Stars have stopped being must see TV for me. I no longer stay up to watch the weeknight west coast games. If I’m out of town, I don’t DVR them. A solid decade of mostly terrible hockey has drained my fandom. I have options, and the Stars are no longer a top priority. Free yourself. They don’t deserve your heartache with the garbage they’ve rolled out.

I still can’t forgive Gaglardi and Nill trying to sell a second season of Kari-Niemi as a good idea.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
I just have no excitement for this season. I, like most hockey fans, usually can’t wait for the season to start, but I just don’t have it right now. It sucks.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I'm always excited no matter what honestly. Heiskanen alone is enough to make me pumped for this season, and I'm not gonna lie I'm excited Nichushkin is back and Lehtonen, Roussel, Hamhuis, and Pateryn are all gone and the fact that Honka will be given a legit shot finally. Its exciting stuff imo we didn't make enough moves this offseason but this team is just going to look way different next year. Hopefully that's a good thing. Also excited about Monty

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I do wish we could’ve picked up a top 6 LWer but I’m definitely excited as well. Honka and Heiskanen have all the opportunity to grab a full time spot on our defense. When Nichuskin left 2 seasons ago I thought well it’ll be interesting when he comes back. Radulov will definitely help him back in. Let’s get it started.

ItsBennGreat

Get Jamie Benn a Stanley Cup '19 campaign
Jan 29, 2018
Raleigh. NC
I have excitement for this season and trying to see the glass half full lol.
However, with other posters comments, I don't think I can ever stop watching them even if they were terrible.
I've been following the Stars - by way of Jamie Benn - since 2012, so no matter what, I'll be watching and supporting Jamie.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
However, with other posters comments, I don't think I can ever stop watching them even if they were terrible.
I've been following the Stars - by way of Jamie Benn - since 2012, so no matter what, I'll be watching and supporting Jamie.

Oh wow, all the way back since 2012? You're still in the honeymoon period.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
The team should atleast be more interesting to watch than last year. Watching Hitch styled games last year was a chore. I'd rather watch a high tempo 5-4 loss than a dragged out 2-1 loss. Add in what others mentioned including Heiskanen plus a free and hopefully confident Honka. Nuke not lifting the puck but bulldozing over goaltenders was sorta fun too, maybe more of that?

Reactions: Kcb12345

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
Edmonton,Alberta

2012...try since the team moved from Minnesota have I been a fan. I even loved this team when they were the North Stars.
I've been through a lot with this team and like you I will never stop being a Stars fan. It's too hard to not be. I've lived and died with this team for a long, long time. I can't abandon them now.

Reactions: ItsBennGreat

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Also been a fan since before they became Dallas. I'm still excited to watch them, and I do believe we have a good team this year. We do need another top six forward, but I believe we can still compete

My only concern is not getting Seguin resigned. That's the TSN turning point of this franchise

I think Monty will have the Stars playing similar to Vegas, which will be a lot of fun to watch

Plus like other said, Heiskanen, Nuke, Honka will be fun to see how there seasons go. I do think Hintz will make his way onto the team at some point.

Once training camp starts I imagine others will get more excited

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Of course there’s things to be excited about. I can’t wait to see Miro and Val. I have high hopes for our coaching staff. Alexander Radulov is a Dallas Star. Etc.

But I’m not looking forward to the season as a whole cause this team is at best a wild card team.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
If Nill doesn’t re-sign Seguin I might stop watching this team.

It be a shot to the gut if that happens. 1 playoff series win in 10 years and we’d let a franchise center like Segs walk.

One way to really lose the fanbase.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
If Seguin walks you need to chill on the "Nill didn't re-sign him" talk.. the dude is a free agent he isn't required to sign and it isn't like the GM didn't attempt to sign.

InTkachukWeTrust

Nov 10, 2013
Just for fun, what would you guys think of a Karlsson for Seguin trade. Both UFAs after this season. Both sign with the team they’re getting traded too, both similar age and both one of the best at their position. Would definitely pump up both teams fan bases for the season coming up!!

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Just for fun, what would you guys think of a Karlsson for Seguin trade. Both UFAs after this season. Both sign with the team they’re getting traded too, both similar age and both one of the best at their position. Would definitely pump up both teams fan bases for the season coming up!!

Seguin is more valuable to us at this point

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Back near the top of the Karlsson rumors. Oh boy here we go again. At this point though I wouldn't be surprised if he is dealt to a team that no one has even mentioned yet though

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
The team should atleast be more interesting to watch than last year. Watching Hitch styled games last year was a chore. I'd rather watch a high tempo 5-4 loss than a dragged out 2-1 loss.

Yeah, Hitch hockey could be a bore. After about the first third of the season, I started waiting till the game was over, checking the score, and only watching the full game for wins while sticking to just highlights for losses.

If Seguin walks you need to chill on the "Nill didn't re-sign him" talk.. the dude is a free agent he isn't required to sign and it isn't like the GM didn't attempt to sign.

On the one hand that's true, but on the other hand, if Nill had put together a better team, Seguin probably would have re-signed already, just like Benn did.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland

One of the more significant jobs of management is to retain talent. If they can’t retain Tyler Seguin (arguably one of the best talents to ever lace up for our organization) then they have a shipwreck of a team on their hands.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
The worst part about a potential Seguin leave would be if they tried the old method - Let Hull go, and then believe you can bring in a string of semi washed up replacements with no lost scoring capabilities, (Think 2001 and Turgeon, Audette, etc. ) Three average players don't equal one Seguin.....unless he gets hurt and there is some safety in numbers. I guess the NJ Devils won a lot with a bunch of 15-20 goal scorers, but it is nice to have a point a game duo in Benn and Seguin.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yeah, Hitch hockey could be a bore. After about the first third of the season, I started waiting till the game was over, checking the score, and only watching the full game for wins while sticking to just highlights for losses.

On the one hand that's true, but on the other hand, if Nill had put together a better team, Seguin probably would have re-signed already, just like Benn did.

I think Nill has put together a pretty good team.. results haven't been there. On paper every off-season everyone is like.. Wow Dallas improved they should be a playoff team. Then every year the players go out there and don't perform or the Coach has a bullshit system.

So.. I would say the players and coaches are to blame for past 5 seasons of performance more than the GM. Having said that, now that Nill has been here sometime the drafting, development and youth failures are mounting on him.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Was just looking at our cap for next year. Damn are we ever in a good spot if Nill can resign Seguin at let's say 11M a year

With this lineup

Benn - Seguin - Nuke
Xxx(Janmark)- xxx - Rads
Comeau - Faksa - Pitlick
Shore - Hanzal - xxx

Xxx (Lindell)- Klingberg
Heiskanen - John's
Xxx - xxx(Honka)

Bishop
Khubby

RFAs Lindell, Honka, Janmark will all need new deals, but with Seguin signing at 11 we still have more then 20M in cap with that lineup. Let's say 10M to Janmark, Lindell, Honks and some other 4th line scrub.

That gives us still over 10M to get a second line C and two other depth D

I left Ritchie, Ellie, Dickinson and Smith off as all there contracts expire and doubt they'll all be back

I also doubt Hanzal will be here next season

Either way we just #$&@&@ resign Seguin and we'll be good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad