Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I hope this season turns out better than last season.
I feel like I'm wallowing in a murky offseason hoping for more change in a time where no one is being pressed to make any changes.

I just need this offseason to be over with. pls.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Gonna be hard for them to tell Miro he has to compete for a job in training camp after they are already selling his sweater. I guess they figure he is a lock.

Yeah I assume he's a lock based on all the talk around him by the Jim's and the fact that he is already our 2nd best LD. They expect a lot from him this season and they have really been open about it. Weird seeing from Jim Nill

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
#4 is always a great choice for a Dman. Couldn't be happier with Miro wearing that instead of 2. 41 would have been okay as a rookie number too. I will eventually get myself a white #4 once the Canadian made adidas are available.

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Always crazy to see prospects who haven't played a game yet be given a prime number, but Heiskanen is the real deal. I think one thing that will stick out to most onlookers immediately is how good he is defensively. His defensive IQ will have immediate impact, then within several games his transition abilities will start to become increasingly evident. Then by game 20 his offensive game will start to kick into gear. Each step could happen faster or slower, but that's how Heiskanen tends to adjust to new competition from what I've seen. He builds his confidence from his defensive game out.

I realize that there are alot of question marks for the Stars but they atleast should once again be fun to watch.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Anyone else curious as to what happened to the news that the Seguin negotiations were starting to pickup?

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
11524-it-s-always-darkest-before-dawn.jpg
?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Nill's update on Seguin contract talks:

"It's very open dialogue," Nill said. "Right now, it's August, and on both sides 'Let's see once we get here, get started and see where things go.' I don't want people to panic. He's got a year left, and if we get him signed, great. If we don't, he's going to have a good year and we're going to have a good team and go from there. This is his opportunity. You only have so many opportunities to become a free agent. He might want to look into that. I don't blame him. On the flip side, we're trying to sign him and want him to be a big part of our team moving forward. We'll see if we can come to an agreement."

When asked if the dialogue was about the future of the team:

"it's more about where the market is going. It's not an issue with the team right now."

Starting to lose confidence in signing Seguin. Nill's comments on it this week make it sound like Seguin wants to wait it out and see what happens. He doesn't seem confident they can get a deal done. He's crazy if he thinks we will be a good team even if Seguin leaves. Sounds to me like Seguin has already let them know he plans on testing free agency to see what offers he can get

Can the Stars re-sign Tyler Seguin before he hits free agency next year?

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
Basically he’s saying even if he feels like Seguin wants to stay in Dallas if we are in the same spot as the NYI were last season leading up to the trade deadline he’s open to trading him. Training camp hasn’t even started yet, what a distraction this will be all season if we don’t sign him or aren’t a top team in our division.

Last edited:

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I'm starting to get legitimately concerned. If the Stars start slow or Segs doesn't gel with Monty, can't see him committing long-term.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I'm starting to get legitimately concerned. If the Stars start slow or Segs doesn't gel with Monty, can't see him committing long-term.

Yeah that's how I feel. The longer this goes the worse it gets imo

If hes going to walk or wants to test FA then trade him now. Rather completely suck and finish with a high pick, then just miss the playoffs and pick 14th and then see Seguin leave for nothing

ItsBennGreat

Get Jamie Benn a Stanley Cup '19 campaign
Jan 29, 2018
Raleigh. NC
Glad to see I'm not the only one who's anxious about the Seguin situation. I wouldn't fault him for shopping himself around and testing the FA, he can probably get more $$$ and be on a more playoff viable team. I still don't think we have the depth that we need to go far into the playoffs.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Seguin has all of the power in this situation. He can wait it out, test UFA, and still get the contact he wants with a handful of contenders. If we had made the playoffs last year I don’t think we’d be having this discussion, but unfortunately we’ve missed twice in a row and there is no sure bet that we’ll make it this year.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Losing Seguin would **** this team back to stone age. Throw all the money at him.

According to Jim Nill we would still be a good team. Just like how according to Jim Nill we were a good team at the trade deadline and didn't need any improvements. He has no idea what he is doing at this point he just keeps telling himself that we are good no matter what

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Put it this way, if you were Tyler seguin, would you sign before seeing how the team is under a new coach? Fresh off of the last two years? Zero chance. Give it time.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I’ve been saying/thinking if he’s not signed by the start of the season this could get bad. The more I try and relax though maybe it’s not as bad as it seems.

We’re starting with a new coach (who can hopefully find a balance between Ruff and Hitchcock). A bounce back season from numerous players and to top it all off... Heiskanen.

Now I’m going to say lets just get the new season started and let the team get their legs under them.

I was replying to your post Zrhutch.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
All sports leagues have had occurrences where a top player of a team doesn’t get a new deal signed until after the season has started.

Tavares happened most recently so it’s in all of our minds.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
If Seguin goes, I will finally stop buying my season tickets. Hope the threat of others doing the same influences their decision. But, they may not have control (or lost it by not using it correctly over the last five years and having horrible teams)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad