Speculation: 2018 Stars Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
His value is pretty much set in stone I would think so on the surface this should be "easy", it's just a matter of massaging the salary vs AAV and bonus money.

I hope I'm not getting a whiff of Gaglardi telling Nill to squeeze him.

Yeah I hope that's not the case. I mean maybe Nill and Seguin talked and Seguin told him he wants to stay and Nill said ok we will get talking towards the start of the season. Meaning he could focus more on other deals or trades. Maybe Nill is close to landing a big named player

It's hard to look at all this from our side

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Remember when Stamkos did the same thing but resigned at a discount anyways? Seguin's relationship with Dallas and the Stars is completely different than Tavares with long island. There is still time, he probably wants to see how Montgomery is both in his strategy and his relationship with him. Also, he wants to see how the Stars do. Obviously he doesn't want to join a perpetual non-playoff team. I'm still guessing that Seguin does re-sign, it will just be later than we had hoped for.
Do we know this?

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
Do we know this?
NYI notoriously let go of all of Tavares' buddies from the team, then got rid of of a coach and GM whom he had good relationships with early this off season. The constant change of venues that the NYI have played in has been a mess, plus the attendance for NYI has been absolutely horrendous. Throughout his career he passively sounded off about the frustration of these changes. Seguin has stated several times earlier in his tenure that he wants to stay in Dallas, he's also mentioned several times that he enjoys being a leader on the team. As much as performance and non-playoff results must be frustrating for Seguin, it doesn't compare to the Tavares situation.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I would imagine Nill is talking to Seguin's agent, not Seguin himself, and has been all summer. Seguin's agent is probably asking for $Texas (;)) because he knows the Stars desperately need to re-sign him, so talks are going slowly. Seguin probably checks in with his agent once in a while and hears "No contract to sign yet" which, from Seguin's perspective, makes it look like nothing has happened all summer, hence the confusion.

Reactions: Kcb12345

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Yeah I hope that's not the case. I mean maybe Nill and Seguin talked and Seguin told him he wants to stay and Nill said ok we will get talking towards the start of the season. Meaning he could focus more on other deals or trades. Maybe Nill is close to landing a big named player

Maybe I just don't know how much work being a GM is, but I can't see it being very forward to work on both of these at the same time.

It's just numbers and names. I know it's not nearly as simple as video games make it out to be, but it's not overly complex either.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Maybe I just don't know how much work being a GM is, but I can't see it being very forward to work on both of these at the same time.

It's just numbers and names. I know it's not nearly as simple as video games make it out to be, but it's not overly complex either.
With a player like Seguin it should be just as easy as Video games.
Nill "9.5mil?"
Seguin "11mil"
Nill "10.5mil?"
Seguin "11mil"
Nill "Deal"

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
With a player like Seguin it should be just as easy as Video games.
Nill "9.5mil?"
Seguin "11mil"
Nill "10.5mil?"
Seguin "11mil"
Nill "Deal"

Eh, there might be arguments over signing bonuses (when he gets them, especially with another potential lockout), NTC/NMCs (especially late in the contract), and the general structure. I think agreeing to the numbers we see is relatively easy.

Still, though, that's stuff that can get hammered out in a few hours with a good agent. I have a feeling this is more Nill not wanting to back down from the Benn offer, even though that's clearly a lowball.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary

Yeah I dont get it. Just trying to make sense out of all this. Really hoping Nills not budging from Benns avg. Seeing this deal done before the start of the season would be great

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yeah I dont get it. Just trying to make sense out of all this. Really hoping Nills not budging from Benns avg. Seeing this deal done before the start of the season would be great

If Nill doesn't budge from Benn's 9.5AAV, Seguin will happily go to the highest bidder on July 1st, 2019.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston

That it got to the point that Seguin expressed his disappointment to the media is a pretty clear sign of mismanagement. No matter what Nill has lined up, he needs to make time to talk to his star center about the future of his hockey career.

This is a pretty awkward situation tbh. Both sides are making contradictory statements so there is definitely something strange going on. I doubt it's just a matter of Seguin being out of the loop, like he's too dumb to call his agent and ask for an update. There's something going on here that we're not privy to.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
If Nill doesn't budge from Benn's 9.5AAV, Seguin will happily go to the highest bidder on July 1st, 2019.

Sorry, I meant it as I hope that's not why Nill and Seguin arent having negotiations. I didn't mean that as I hope Nill doesnt budge lol. Seguin is obv worth more then 9.5

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I love when people think Negotiation is like a god dam video game.

Brah

Gaglardi needs to be on board with a lot of money upfront on bonuses.. for one

Two whats the structure of the deal..

Three.. whats the overall package

Trade or no trade clause

etc. etc.

This isnt like ok 11 million 8 years deal.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Everyone needs to chill. This makes sense when you think about what's going on in the trade market. Karlsson has everything at a stop and its probably a good idea to wait and see if you're about to land a top 3 defensemen in the league before you go handing out big money and then not be able to keep him.

Seguin hasn't won a damn thing since he got here, at least Benn has an Art Ross to add to his resume. If we get Karlsson, and want to extend him long term, Seguin isn't getting over 11M, it won't work short or long term. If hes not willing to sign for that amount with Karlsson on the team, then you move him for a haul at the deadline.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dallas is the reason Pacioretty hasnt been dealt either. Everyone's waiting to see where Karlsson goes and then moves will be made to finalize rosters.

I have no problem being patient to see what happens with Karlsson. Friedman said it himself that Dallas is very legit in this race and that was 5 days ago. Lets relax and see what happens first before we burn nill at the stake.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I love when people think Negotiation is like a god dam video game.

Brah

Gaglardi needs to be on board with a lot of money upfront on bonuses.. for one

Two whats the structure of the deal..

Three.. whats the overall package

Trade or no trade clause

etc. etc.

This isnt like ok 11 million 8 years deal.

75% of Benns contract is in signing bonuses. All big name players are signing these buyout proof deals.

Everything you’re discussing can be negotiated rather quickly. There are plenty of comparable contracts around the league for Seguins next deal. It definitely doesn’t take two months.

VicVinegar

Realtor/Bodyguard
Sep 28, 2017
Everyone needs to chill. This makes sense when you think about what's going on in the trade market. Karlsson has everything at a stop and its probably a good idea to wait and see if you're about to land a top 3 defensemen in the league before you go handing out big money and then not be able to keep him.

Seguin hasn't won a damn thing since he got here, at least Benn has an Art Ross to add to his resume. If we get Karlsson, and want to extend him long term, Seguin isn't getting over 11M, it won't work short or long term. If hes not willing to sign for that amount with Karlsson on the team, then you move him for a haul at the deadline.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dallas is the reason Pacioretty hasnt been dealt either. Everyone's waiting to see where Karlsson goes and then moves will be made to finalize rosters.

I have no problem being patient to see what happens with Karlsson. Friedman said it himself that Dallas is very legit in this race and that was 5 days ago. Lets relax and see what happens first before we burn nill at the stake.
Seguin had a higher PPG than Benn in his Art Ross season (then he got hurt), so I'd argue he's just as deserving of that title. Add on he plays a more coveted position.

Karlsson is a complete luxury, without Seguin, we have Radek Faksa as our 1C. Seguin is the priority, not Karlsson.

But yes, I think it will get done. His comments put me at ease that he truly wants to be in Dallas. And no way Nill is dumb enough to let him walk, once again, with Faksa remaining as our best center.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
75% of Benns contract is in signing bonuses. All big name players are signing these buyout proof deals.

Everything you’re discussing can be negotiated rather quickly. There are plenty of comparable contracts around the league for Seguins next deal. It definitely doesn’t take two months.

Exactly this. It’s not something that takes a few seconds of thought, but it doesn’t demand hours a day every day for weeks, much less months. It really makes me wonder what a normal day in the offseason looks like for GMs.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
I want Seguin signed as much as anyone, but this summer Kucherov signed an 8x$9.5 deal in a no-tax state, while scoring more points in the last 2 seasons and being one year younger, so maybe let's pump the brakes on overpaying Seguin too quickly?

8x$10 is fair, more than that and Seguin is just being greedy, especially considering that age-based stats tells us that this last season was probably his peak and he will be more likely than not to decline from here on out.

Reactions: Karitimes

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
I do think Nill is using Tampa as the comparison, which is fair but TB regularly makes deep playoff runs plus has a great farm system feeding good new players to the team. Dallas has neither. Seguin clearly has the upperhand in the negotiations, so dying on the TB hill for Nill is silly. Also, as others mentioned the structure of contracts isn't that complicated. Once again, Nill and Gaglardi would be ridiculous not to give Seguin high signing bonuses and use another star player (likely Tavares) as the contractual foundation. High signing bonuses are now the norm for high pedigree players.

I think he will re-sign, I just don't think it will be under 10M AAV.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad