Status
Not open for further replies.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Just.... stop...... this..... already

I've had my fill of "tanking" talk. The Avs didn't tank last season. They simply sucked. And it didn't even give them the #1 pick.

Sell at the trade deadline. Or in one or 2 cases, when a players value is at their highest. There's no point in disassembling the roster prior to then which will only result in greater and renewed criticism and abuse from the league. The tanking concept/strategy is no longer credible, cute or fashionable.

And As per Joshjull.... this will be all I have to say about this subject.......

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Strong tank moves yesterday. We lose badly, Montreal and Arizona win. Cant see the trend changing tonight in Winnipeg where we may get spanked equally as hard.

Reactions: Myers888

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Why is anyone rooting for the team to fail? They are great at doing that on their own.
So you think these overpaid turds on the ice deserve cheering for? Im gonna be happy with losses as that helps chances for future success. This season is dead and even if wr win it literally means nothing. Oh wait, if we start winning Housley might stay on. Of course Im gonna cheer losses when it increases the chances of what I want to happen to happen:
1. Fire Housley
2. Trade away all rentals/useless players we can get something for asap (if Al freaking Montoya can return a 4/5 then our turds can too)
3. Increase chances of Dahlin
4. Secure elite talent in top4/5 at worst in this draft.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I will not pull for them to tank, because they are doing a fine job of lackluster play on their own. However, it is not, IMO, in their interests to purposefully tank. They need to determine the viability of players on expiring RFA deals, etc., and that means trying to determine if they are coachable / have innate talent and what that future value is to either BUF or a trading partner. The problem as I see it is I don't believe Housley and/or the current coaching staff have the ability to accurately assess that for those players (Girgs, Larsson, Josefson, etc.)

Also, offering this as an option if a theme song is needed (from my post in the Wild GDT thread)

to the tune of I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen

We'll tank to draft Rasmus Dahlin
Across the ocean wild and wide
To where his heart has never been
Buffalo has lost all their pride.
The Sabres all stink at the rink.
I've watched them fade away and die
Their voices sad when e'er they speak
Tears fall from the Buffalo eye.
Oh! we will tank to draft, Dahlin
To where his heart will feel much pain
And when the lottery we win
We'll gladly draft first again!
We know you'll love us, Dahlin, dear
Your heart will love the Sabres, too.
We'll start to win when you are here.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
We have literally had only two moments in our entire history where we got lucky: before our first game when we won Gil and when we acquired Hasek. Other than that we have been cursed like no other team in the entire league. So pardon me if I think the idea of this team ever getting a break in any way is a sick joke.

Reactions: Fearnot

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
We have literally had only two moments in our entire history where we got lucky: before our first game when we won Gil and when we acquired Hasek. Other than that we have been cursed like no other team in the entire league. So pardon me if I think the idea of this team ever getting a break in any way is a sick joke.

Drury and briere say hello.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Arizone has no notable UFA players. With an early Kane trade and sending away some other pieces while taking on cap dumps I think we can mke it to first place.
Just do it.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Arizone has no notable UFA players. With an early Kane trade and sending away some other pieces while taking on cap dumps I think we can mke it to first place.
Just do it.
I was never thinking bottom of the league but it actually seems quite possible. Its embarassing but I would take it for the futures value we get out of it. All we need is Arizona to start playing semi normal hockey, Botts to keep Housley and for us to sell off a few assets and we quite likely finish behind them.

On a sidenote, +2 points last night for Ottawa against us. Good.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Players on my tankblock:
  • Lehner
  • Mccabe
  • Kane
  • Pominville (with retention)

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Players on my tankblock:
  • Lehner
  • Mccabe
  • Kane
  • Pominville (with retention)
Add Johan(trash), Josefson(UFA), Pouliot (useless and UFA), Gorges (with retention UFA), Reinhart (depends if we get good value on him or not).

Also if retaining on Pomers is still no posirive value in return, then we keep him until end of contract.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Add Johan(trash), Josefson(UFA), Pouliot (useless and UFA), Gorges (with retention UFA), Reinhart (depends if we get good value on him or not).

Also if retaining on Pomers is still no posirive value in return, then we keep him until end of contract.

So in other words, your opinion is:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So in other words, your opinion is:

None of these would bring future success so why keep them. Only exceptions are maybe Reinhart and maybe Josefson, but there is nothing stopping us from getting Josefson back in the summer and on Reinhart it all depends on what his market value is.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

I fail to see how it would help our tank to get rid of them? They’re the core of our tank!

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Strong showings from Ottawa, Vancouver and Arizona last night. Ottawa with 2 points versus Tampa and both Vancouver and Arizona pick up losers points versus quality opposition. Good for our draft position.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Good early goalie pull to make our goal differential even better. Housley is passionate about the tank.

Reactions: CacOBG

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Who cares about tanking now? Doesn’t matter where they finish, all that matters is where their lottery balls fall.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Who cares about tanking now? Doesn’t matter where they finish, all that matters is where their lottery balls fall.
I’d say 4th or 5th pick makes a lot of difference. There’s one exceptional and five really good prospects this draft. Higher pick means we’re more likely to get our guy or the second best d-man.
Also, this is the tanking thread and tanking talk is really good for venting. Creates an illusion that the losing actually leads to something. A purpose for following the team.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Of course it matters. Higher guaranteed pick+higher odds of winning something. And when that something is Dahlin, yes it matters.
I can't even remember the last time the team in dead last actually picked first. It seems being anywhere from 2 to 6 are the best spots to grab 1st overall.

Mr Orangeshirt

Dec 12, 2008
Xville,TN
What is the best/most efficient path for the tank to travel? Trade players for futures, or keep the current roster and just lose with it like they are currently doing? Maybe a zig-zag combo of the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad