Speculation: 2018 Root for the Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
FWIW, I don’t want them to “tank” this season, however you wish to define that.

I am, however, strongly rooting for this team to finally get some luck in the lottery. No matter where they wind up in the final standings, I’d love to get one of those top 3 picks.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
FWIW, I don’t want them to “tank” this season, however you wish to define that.

I am, however, strongly rooting for this team to finally get some luck in the lottery. No matter where they wind up in the final standings, I’d love to get one of those top 3 picks.
In the NHL you make your own draft luck ... by sucking.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres are at a point where they don't need to tank. Tanking is for the number 1 pick, which teams will nearly always use on a franchise center. Sometimes you get a weaker draft and the pick is Ekblad. Every now and then you get an elite defenseman with no elite center, like this draft, and the pick is Dahlin.

The Sabres have their centers. Adding prospects with potential to be elite defensemen doesn't require the top pick. Buffalo should play to develop the youth they have and not shoot for the low odd of getting Dahlin. If they get some pick luck, neat. But adding Boqvist, Dobson, or Hughes is also a big step forward for the team.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Moreover Toronto last season, Colorado this season and most of all Vegas have showed that finishing even dead last doesnt mean you cant make the playoffs next season. Toronto made them and were respectable against Washington, Colorado are clearly a bubble team this year and Vegas are top2 team in the NHL from SCRATCH. This 'end on a good note so that your next season goes well' logic is quite bull**** IMO. There are like 5 months between end of regular season amd start of next one...if the offseason was smaller I may buy into the logic but with the current setup Id rather tank for talent and prospect depth than have extra 6 wins in a lost season that Im going to somehow build on 5 months later...

Vegas has nothing to do with tanking, never finished last and has no relevance to our situation.

You also can't look at finishing last in a vacuum when comparing these teams.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Because so many of you feel the need to discuss this every game, here's the odds for 2018 (and every year after):

If you think that a difference of 0.4-5.5% in odds is worth tanking over, then have all the fun you want discussing that here and please, only here.

(I hope this thread dies just like all my other ones)

The guy who was one of the biggest culprits in turning every GDT into a Fire Bylsma thread for most of last season is now dictating to others to confine tank discussion to one thread. That's rich.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
In the NHL you make your own draft luck ... by sucking.

We have sucked for several years. Which lotteries did we win? None. In all the years of sucking, we’ve never won one, but instead been pushed back. Last year pushed back two spots even.

How bad did Philly suck last season before they won the #2 overall last season? Not too bad, they were only the 13th worst team in the league.

I just would like some of that kind of luck to happen to us for once.

Reactions: joshjull

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Vegas has nothing to do with tanking, never finished last and has no relevance to our situation.

You also can't look at finishing last in a vacuum when comparing these teams.
Literally no clue what you mean with this. Vegas is totally relevant. The only argument against tanking (in whatever form) is that you lose momentum/so called winning culture for going into the following season. But all teams I've listed have completely destroyed this myth, including Vegas who never even existed and most of the players were cast-offs for their teams (with some exceptions, but not many). Tanking doesn't hurt you as long as you don't do it to a stupid level. Selling off players we don't need for the future and keeping promising young kids in the AHL is mild version of tanking I will be 100% behind. It will most likely ensure finishing bottom 3.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
We have sucked for several years. Which lotteries did we win? None. In all the years of sucking, we’ve never won one, but instead been pushed back. Last year pushed back two spots even.

How bad did Philly suck last season before they won the #2 overall last season? Not too bad, they were only the 13th worst team in the league.

I just would like some of that kind of luck to happen to us for once.
Well Philly is the exception, not the rule. That's the problem. The odds are heavily skewed towards the bottom teams compared to the bubble teams...

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Don't need to actively tank. Just need to rely on Phil continuing to make dumb coaching decisions, McCabe, Beaulieu, and the rest of the defense to continue to make dumb transition plays, dumb defensive coverage mistakes, and rely on the typical Kane cold streak/injury to happen just as the TDL arrives. No need for management to make moves to tank, the team on the ice will do that for them.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
The guy who was one of the biggest culprits in turning every GDT into a Fire Bylsma thread for most of last season is now dictating to others to confine tank discussion to one thread. That's rich.

There's Fire Housley in every GDT and I ain't asking for those to be allocated.

If you don't see the difference with actively rooting for the team to fail, as opposed to pointing out reasons why a coach needs to get fired (like he did), I'm not sure what to tell you. Get help

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's a convenient place to drop posts from GDT's rooting for losses for starters. Some people want to do that now, so here they are free to express all the 2018 draft pick position affirming hopes they want. Anywhere else and they'll be moved here.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
There's Fire Housley in every GDT and I ain't asking for those to be allocated.

If you don't see the difference with actively rooting for the team to fail, as opposed to pointing out reasons why a coach needs to get fired (like he did), I'm not sure what to tell you. Get help

I think you're inventing a problem that doesn't really exist at this stage. I do not see much "pro-tank" posting - and, to the extent that it does exist, it's mostly found in the posts of posters who are on the lunatic fringe of many issues. There's no "ZOMG, why did they score the tying goal, what idiots!" like we saw a few years ago. However, many are understandably, and correctly, in a posture that the season is lost, and we need to start doing things that selling teams do (i.e., trading off pending UFAs, etc.). Also, it's hardly repugnant to be dubious of collecting loser points or wins in games where we are badly outplayed. More than anything, I want them to start looking better on a game-to-game basis.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It's a convenient place to drop posts from GDT's rooting for losses for starters. Some people want to do that now, so here they are free to express all the 2018 draft pick position affirming hopes they want. Anywhere else and they'll be moved here.
Exactly I was told to do my tank monitoring posts in a thread. Well here is the thread so that me and others don't have to post in GDT/roster speculation :)

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think you're inventing a problem that doesn't really exist at this stage. I do not see much "pro-tank" posting - and, to the extent that it does exist, it's mostly found in the posts of posters who are on the lunatic fringe of many issues. There's no "ZOMG, why did they score the tying goal, what idiots!" like we saw a few years ago. However, many are understandably, and correctly, in a posture that the season is lost, and we need to start doing things that selling teams do (i.e., trading off pending UFAs, etc.). Also, it's hardly repugnant to be dubious of collecting loser points or wins in games where we are badly outplayed. More than anything, I want them to start looking better on a game-to-game basis.

Selling Kane isn't tanking. The least creative player in the line-up being traded away from a team that struggles to find any creativity is addition by subtraction. That isn't tank talk. PGuess who is in the playoffs after binging hard on addition by subtraction? The Bills.

Consistently getting loser points as opposed to not getting any points at all is improvement. It's exactly what you're looking for. They are actually looking better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad