Speculation: 2018 Root for the Tank Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I just hope we don't take Hughes. The kid has serious questions on his decision making, defensive play and his shot is garbage. Derrick Pouliot - be your comp as far as I'm concerned. Yes, he can skate. However, if the rest of your game is sub par then what is the point. It's Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Smith, McIsaac then Hughes for me.

You are underrating Hughes. He's a one man breakout machine, as far as shot goes, all you want from a dman is the ability to get a puck through - dmen don't score much with powerful slappers from the blue line. His creativity is also elite.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Just make sure you lose from Arizona, Sabres. It's 2015 all over again.

Not really. We were guaranteed 1 or 2 if we finished last, we can go all the way to 4-5 now. It's important, and arizona is playing well but we can live if we win or get a loser point. I just want this season over with so Botterill can start mashing the lineup.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When's the last time a team traded back/up in the top of the draft?

Since the '06 lockout? Without it being a move from nearby in the draft? Schnieder for the Horvat pick is basically it.

Edit: Forgot Stepan and Raanta for DeAngelo and 7OA last year.

So basically a quality starting goaltender (which Buffalo doesn't have) or a quality 1B center (which they do) going into a rebuild (which they aren't.).

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
At this stage, I am more concerned about Vancouver than Arizona. The Yotes have been pretty solid since January 1 (96-point pace). I wonder if the VanCans will win more than one game for the remainder of the season.
I will take a secure 5th spot with open hands. Losing from Arizona is a big step in this direction. We still have decent odds to pick top3 from 2nd from bottom.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Top 6 is fine.
Dahlin
Svech
Boqvist
Dobson
Tkachuk
Hughes

Fine

Top 7, add Zadina

Tier 1 : Dahlin
Tier 2: Dobson, Zadina, Boqvist, Svech, Hughes, Tkachuk

We are close to guaranteed someone from tier 2. I can't imagine us winning our way past 4 teams in the final 10 games...

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Top 7, add Zadina

Tier 1 : Dahlin
Tier 2: Dobson, Zadina, Boqvist, Svech, Hughes, Tkachuk

We are close to guaranteed someone from tier 2. I can't imagine us winning our way past 4 teams in the final 10 games...
I know that Zadina is good enough to be in this group, I just don't know if he's either special enough (like Svech), or specifically fills an organizational need (Power forward). Maybe he falls into one of those categories, I just haven't been convinced of it yet.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I know that Zadina is good enough to be in this group, I just don't know if he's either special enough (like Svech), or specifically fills an organizational need (Power forward). Maybe he falls into one of those categories, I just haven't been convinced of it yet.
Isn't Zadina more of a sniper/skills guy rather than a power forward?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I like Zadina much more than Svechnikov.

Reactions: Myers888

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So this is like your guys' playoffs tonight, right?

At least some Sabres fans can have that feeling again :laugh:
I might actually watch this in the middle of the tonight even though our pathetic season is over. IMO losing this is that important. As close to playoffs as we ever got this season for sure.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I like Zadina much more than Svechnikov.
Really? Is it the foot speed? I think Svechnikov's combination of strength, speed and shot is unique, but I recognize he's not as shifty or fast as Zadina.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Really? Is it the foot speed? I think Svechnikov's combination of strength, speed and shot is unique, but I recognize he's not as shifty or fast as Zadina.

Simply... better total package of skills. everything that defines Svech, Zadina is equal or better at... and from their Zadina adds a deeper toolbox of skills. He works harder and smarter than Svech all over the ice. His shot is equally as explosive and accurate as Svech's. His skating is on pair too.

Svech has a "potential bust" factor that turns me off. So much of his dominance in scoring, at least what I have seen.... is taking advantage of space that doesn't exist at higher levels. Where as Zadina creates space where it doesn't exist.

IMO Zadina goes before Svechnikov in the draft. I'd bet heavily on it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’m still not rooting for them to lose. The lottery system is too random to think they’re going to wind up with the top puck overall. And there are plenty of people who have blown picks in the five, six, seven and the dreaded eight range.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
. So much of his dominance in scoring, at least what I have seen.... is taking advantage of space that doesn't exist at higher levels. Where as Zadina creates space where it doesn't exist.
interesting. I'll take a closer look because this is the exact reason that I don't like Bouchard at all. Every scoring play he makes involves a 20 ft circle of emptiness.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I’m still not rooting for them to lose. The lottery system is too random to think they’re going to wind up with the top puck overall. And there are plenty of people who have blown picks in the five, six, seven and the dreaded eight range.
This is precisely why I'm rooting for them to finish 1-2 from bottom. So we are not in the 6 to 8 range but in the 1 to 5 range..

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
You are underrating Hughes. He's a one man breakout machine, as far as shot goes, all you want from a dman is the ability to get a puck through - dmen don't score much with powerful slappers from the blue line. His creativity is also elite.
He looked like trash for USA

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He looked like trash for USA

That's simply your opinion, and not one I share. He did a lot of good things in that tourney, and he had some brain farts. He was arguably one of the two best players on the ice in the bronze medal game,along with Fox, which everyone seemingly forgets. I've got him at #4 on my list, and continue going back and forth between him and Boqvist.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Eichel, Hughes and Mittelstadt breaking out the puck would be fun to watch. The 3 of them might be able to counter Sam Reinhart being the worst in the NHL at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad