2018 Pyeongchang Olympics | CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING | Feb 10th - 25th

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Can someone give any insight to what`s up with Weng? She has a great season, then comes in 9th in the skiathlon, doesn`t qualify for the sprint, rank 11 in the 10km and is scratched for the relay. Too many races, is she tired? Injury? German telly said nothing.

Two reasons.

1. Apparently Uhrenholdt Jacobsen has been doing better in training and "test race".

2. Weng probably said the same thing to the coaches as in the interview with TV. She felt she was in shape, technically doing fine, but she just couldn't find the "pop" and never managed to go into that extra gear in either of the two first races. She's probably extremely unhappy with being taken off the team, but the management probably saw the gamble with Uhrenholdt Jacobsen as a better decision than risking another difficult race for Weng against Kalla. In the end it ended in the same way for Jacobsen, but didn't expect her to completely fall off even though she had been sick.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Two reasons.

1. Apparently Uhrenholdt Jacobsen has been doing better in training and "test race".

2. Weng probably said the same thing to the coaches as in the interview with TV. She felt she was in shape, technically doing fine, but she just couldn't find the "pop" and never managed to go into that extra gear. She's probably extremely unhappy with being taken off the team, but the management probably saw the gamble with Uhrenholdt Jacobsen as a better decision than risking another difficult race for Weng against Kalla. In the end it ended in the same way for Jacobsen, but didn't expect her to completely fall off even though she had been sick.
Thank you. Too bad for her.

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
Well Weng has to eat her words now, from after the premier at Ruka, Finland. She then said when Kalla won something along the lines that: it is good that she is good now, we'll see at the Olympics. Eat it!

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
If you could go back in time and change it, we might have swapped Jacobsen for Weng. So don't go there, dude:laugh:-

Bjørgen now got 7 Olympic gold, Bjørndalen has 8. They are even on the medal count, with 13.

Difference is that Norway always pick athletes after what they have done lately. That is the right thing, that is why Petter Northug is not at the Olympics and Weng not in this race. Sound thinking. Haag had nothing to do there if you went by current form, Hanna Falk was the clearly obvious pick. Richard Grip has some to answer for here. He defended the pick - before the race - with that he had no crystal ball. Obviously not, there is no crystal ball, so you have to go with what the skiers have done. But he didn't, he still looked for the crystal ball option with no crystal ball...

Anyway good for Björgen, she had the chance to go where she did, before the stadium, and it succeed.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Difference is that Norway always pick athletes after what they have done lately. That is the right thing, that is why Petter Northug is not at the Olympics and Weng not in this race. Sound thinking. Haag had nothing to do there if you went by current form, Hanna Falk was the clearly obvious pick. Richard Grip has some to answer for here. He defended the pick - before the race - with that he had no crystal ball. Obviously not, there is no crystal ball, so you have to go with what the skiers have done. But he didn't, he still looked for the crystal ball option with no crystal ball...

Anyway good for Björgen, she had the chance to go where she did, before the stadium, and it succeed.
Didn`t know that Haag was a controversial pick before the race started.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden

Tbf neither besides the 3 obvious picks Andersson, Kalla and Nilsson would have felt good. But I find Haag the worst possible of those atm. It's not that she is a bad skier, she has had some good results earlier, but she is completely out of form. I think Falk would have been a heaven or hell type of pick. On a good day she could hang with those upfront but on a bad day she could drop even more than Haag did. Ingermarsdotter is a stubborn sob and wouldn't have let that big of a gap happend.

Haag dropped a similar amount of time in Sochi but Kalla saved her that time and gained those 25 seconds she dropped back and passed Pärmäkoski and Denice Hermann in the stadium for the gold medal.

Oct 18, 2006
Bolshunov has opened up a massive lead for OAR. This will be interesting. Sweden in all sorts of trouble.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Tønseth is such an idiot. Everyone except him knew Poltaranin would go all out the last couple of ks (as he always does).

Makes it more interesting I guess. Norway should have won this easily.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

Exaggerated in my opinion. Everyone need a scapegoat. Did not help it was a year they felt they could realistically beat Norway (I know they did in Russia, but that was a special race).

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Parisse looks strongest. But always difficult to say these things.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Love how the French are fighting. Of course I’ll regret saying that if they win, but hope they get silver.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
As everyone else that haven’t competed in the Olympics before the Russian got crushed.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Great 3-way battle for the podium arrangement. OAR, NOR and FRA. No one else really ins striking distance this late in the race. Under 5 km to go.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Cross Country one of the more underrated spectators events at the Olympics. On the surface sounds boring as ****. But that was a great finish.

It's time the rest of the world to catch up and realise what us Nordics has done for a while. Maybe it's quite popular in contries like Germany, Switzerland and the other alps countries?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I´m sure it is quite popular in France this morning. Main story right now in Le Monde.

Cross Country is quite fun when you are competitive. Not really super exciting to watch if your best athletes are lucky to be top 30.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Cross Country one of the more underrated spectators events at the Olympics. On the surface sounds boring as ****. But that was a great finish.

It's a crying shame that there is nobody there to watch. I know the Chinese will force 50K people out in the woods in Beijing in four years time, but if these Olympics were in Europe (or Scandinavia) there'd be tens of thousands of spectators.

Reactions: varsaku

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
It's time the rest of the world to catch up and realise what us Nordics has done for a while. Maybe it's quite popular in contries like Germany, Switzerland and the other alps countries?

Not really, no. Biathlon is big in Germany, but normal cross-country doesn't interest anyone.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Not really, no. Biathlon is big in Germany, but normal cross-country doesn't interest anyone.
It`s not as big as biathlon (by far), but it`s shown on telly. Except for myself, I don`t know a single person who is interested, though. Then again, I live in the west, not the south.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
It`s not as big as biathlon (by far), but it`s shown on telly. Except for myself, I don`t know a single person who is interested, though. Then again, I live in the west, not the south.

I think it's down to the lack of top notch German skiers. When biathlon can become huge in Germany (due to good Germans) the cross country can gain a following too.

Here in Norway of course, any event involving skis is huge...

BMann

May 18, 2006
Watford
Well done to Spitsov and company and the womens team yesterday led by Nepryeva. Pretty young as well so bodes very well for Beijing and onwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad