2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Tychonick, Woo, Perunovich should all be 2nd-3rd round. I'd be very happy getting one or two of those three. Or moving up to grab Merkley. There are definitely options.

I don't think the Jets will touch Merkley with a first rounder or a 2nd. The complete opposite of a Jets pick.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Pretty much but Merkley on our Powerplay would be some other worldly type stuff..

Our PP runs through Laine anyways. All we need is someone who can make a 40ish foot one-timer pass. What scares me about Merkley is his complete lack of compete. He just gives up on plays like you wouldn't believe.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I don't think the Jets will touch Merkley with a first rounder or a 2nd. The complete opposite of a Jets pick.

He's really not that far off from Morrissey at the same age. Same size, better point production, great skater, great playmaker, questionable defense.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's really not that far off from Morrissey at the same age. Same size, better point production, great skater, great playmaker, questionable defense.

I watched a lot of MoJo in PA and Kelowna. Morrissey never had questionable defence, never gave up on plays and was 1000x more physical and assertive on the defensive side of the puck. I also don't think he has quite the skating ability Merkley displays. He did however play on a pretty meh PA squad outside of Draisaitl. And the character MoJo displayed makes him much more likeable as a team mate and coachable. The things I've heard about Merkley make me think he'd be the next tracksuit victim.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I watched a lot of MoJo in PA and Kelowna. Morrissey never had questionable defence, never gave up on plays and was 1000x more physical and assertive on the defensive side of the puck. I also don't think he has quite the skating ability Merkley displays. He did however play on a pretty meh PA squad outside of Draisaitl. And the character MoJo displayed makes him much more likeable as a team mate and coachable. The things I've heard about Merkley make me think he'd be the next tracksuit victim.
Agree. Morrissey is nothing like Merkley.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Isn't petan made for that role? Sorry Meant for message above concerning power play

Merkley is a much better talent, he’s still a decent size at like 5’11”(compared to Petan at 5’9”), he’s an elite skater, has better hands all-around and much better playmaking skills as a defender.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Agreed, Morrissey was a complete different beast, great at everything while Merkley is just too top heavy in his offensive skills.

Also if I believe Laine had a fair share of his character issues as well(how’d that work)? All I’m saying that if Merkley is still around at 60, we should have to consider picking him up, worst case scenario we have a kid who we give the Petan treatment/ move him and best case scenario we have the Mike Green 2.0 which I believe the possibility of that chance out ways the negative because we already have a great roster(why not take a shot at taking a impact player).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I liked Merkleys potential earlier this year but more I saw and more I read it was like an onion

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed, Morrissey was a complete different beast, great at everything while Merkley is just too top heavy in his offensive skills.

Also if I believe Laine had a fair share of his character issues as well(how’d that work)? All I’m saying that if Merkley is still around at 60, we should have to consider picking him up, worst case scenario we have a kid who we give the Petan treatment/ move him and best case scenario we have the Mike Green 2.0 which I believe the possibility of that chance out ways the negative because we already have a great roster(why not take a shot at taking a impact player).

The only known character issue with Laine was with an isolated event with a coach, which I don't think you can even say is a character issue given it wasn't serial behavior. A lot of Merkley's issue's I can't talk about on here because of site rules. But I've heard things from people that have connections to the Storm and it isn't pretty. I have zero issues grabbing a high risk/high reward player. And based purely on his play on the ice Merkley is that. But based on his behavior, discipline, coach-ability issues and other things I've heard I wouldn't touch the kid.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
The only known character issue with Laine was with an isolated event with a coach, which I don't think you can even say is a character issue given it wasn't serial behavior. A lot of Merkley's issue's I can't talk about on here because of site rules. But I've heard things from people that have connections to the Storm and it isn't pretty. I have zero issues grabbing a high risk/high reward player. And based purely on his play on the ice Merkley is that. But based on his behavior, discipline, coach-ability issues and other things I've heard I wouldn't touch the kid.

Oh, I wasn’t aware his behaviour issues where that bad.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh, I wasn’t aware his behaviour issues where that bad.

Yeah it's not great. It's why he is sinking like a rock. Makar was another high risk/high reward type. But he never had the behavior issues looming overhead which is why he still went high. There were questions about his lack of defensive play but there was never any questions about his behaviour and character. Merkley should by all accounts be a top 15 pick. Risk/reward be damned. But at this point he will likely fall to the bottom of the 1st.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Wise falling to late in the 2nd round as McKenzie's list says and us drafting him would be absolutely amazing but I just can't see him falling that far. Getting him would be like getting a top-20 talent at #60.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yea I trust a few of the guys that are very informed about Merkley and no thanks. 9 times out of 10 I go for the highly skilled players and work through challenges but this is that 1 in 10 kid I don’t want any part of.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Wise falling to late in the 2nd round as McKenzie's list says and us drafting him would be absolutely amazing but I just can't see him falling that far. Getting him would be like getting a top-20 talent at #60.

I just can’t see him reaching 60. The problem about this season is it’s not like we just lost our 1st round pick we actually pick at #60 so we are feeling the beautiful sting of team success biting us in the ass on draft. It’s like we lost our 1st and 2nd round picks.

This is where have have to pray for the Griffin Reinhart draft day miracle :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i know! i have been noticing this too. He was regarded as a top 10 prospect i remember. It seems like the collarbone injury/surgery and slow first half of the year hurt his value. The late 1st-mid 2nd have a good group of Cs. I think Wise goes late 1st

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $250.00