2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
Just one franchise defender from what I can tell in Dahlin.

Merkley, McIsaac, Woo, Smith, E.Bouchard, Hughes and Wilde could all have elite upside.

My top 15 for dmen currently...

1. Dahlin
2. Merkley
3. McIsaac
4. Hughes
5. Wilde
6. Woo
7. Smith
8. E.Bouchard
9. Addison
10. Boqvist
11. X. Bouchard
12. Alexeyev
13. Dobson
14. Zazula
15. Vallati

Ryan Merkley is so fun. Just outstanding offensively.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
No Tkachuk?

I was looking at some of the top eligibles - pretty crazy that Isac Lundeström has already played 45 SHL games.

Looks like there will be some decent depth.

Tkachuk is a C/Winger I was just ranking dmen. But he's definitely in the top 15 of my rankings that include everyone, among a few others.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Ryan Merkley is so fun. Just outstanding offensively.

Yeah people think Makar is a great skater wait until the spotlight is on Merkley. I don't think I've seen anyone with that kind of skating ability for a defencmen at that age. His edges are unreal. Incredible stick handler too. Some character issues have been brought up but nothing I would pay much attention to yet.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
Yeah people think Makar is a great skater wait until the spotlight is on Merkley. I don't think I've seen anyone with that kind of skating ability for a defencmen at that age. His edges are unreal. Incredible stick handler too. Some character issues have been brought up but nothing I would pay much attention to yet.

Defensive game is a bit of a nightmare but who cares when you can do this at 16 :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Defensive game is a bit of a nightmare but who cares when you can do this at 16 :laugh:

Ok so that is a 16 year old? With point production like that in the draft -1 season he is going to go really high in the NHL draft.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's NHL skating level already :amazed: wow!

My god that is some gorgeous skating.

Yea I liked the way Makar looked this past season but he was 18 not 16 and he wasn't playing in the OHL. Merkley already looks like he skating circles around kids in the top league in the CHL. Almost a PPG pace on a brutally bad team.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Merkley played some of the toughest minutes in the OHL this year by my estimates as well, as a late birthday 16 year old. He's gonna be a pretty special player I think.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I'm sold on Merkley, although I hope we're not in a position to pick him (which is likely very high).

Although the upside of drafting Merkley, is that 5 seconds after the draft someone would post in the polls section, "Merkley vs Liljigren" and we'd be up to our eyeballs in Leafs trolls. lol.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jack McBain will probably challenge for number 1 overall

I've got him in the top 20. Definitely the top C coming out of Ontario but will he stay in the OJHL for his draft year or head West to play in a tougher Junior A league? He'll need to prove himself against top competition to be able to challenge Svechnikov whose been doing it for awhile now.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sounds like a good year for the Jets to... umm, roll out the armoured fighting vehicle.

Well appealing to your sense of doom and gloom I would say with a draft class this good there is little to no chance the Jets miss the playoffs this season. Much like the McDavid draft where it was so strong we missed our chance at a lottery ticket. :laugh::naughty:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
My current July 2018 Rankings. Some things change as I watch older video when I can find it, especially the back half. Very deep draft though. With the inevitable risers we should have a solid group all the way into the 3rd or 4th rounds, maybe even higher. Tough to tell this far out.

2018_Draft_July_Rankings.png

If you have any questions about my projection player types just ask. I may have different meanings for some of the terms listed. Also by no means is that concrete. Just how I see their play styles when watching them.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'm sold on Merkley, although I hope we're not in a position to pick him (which is likely very high).

Although the upside of drafting Merkley, is that 5 seconds after the draft someone would post in the polls section, "Merkley vs Liljigren" and we'd be up to our eyeballs in Leafs trolls. lol.

Hoping you're right about the likelihood of not being in a position to select that high but part of me is just expecting the worst. Like the continued parade of dumb penalties coupled with poor penalty killing. A scenario where Mason badly busts here. It's not like it's never happened before where a coveted free agent doesn't work out for one reason or another.

Not to mention poor coaching utilization of players, a sophomore slump from Laine. And I didn't even mention a sequel to Injury Infirmary part 2.

So I guess I'm saying there's still a chance. I'm not buying they're going to make a big enough jump in the standings.

Last edited:

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
If you have any questions about my projection player types just ask. I may have different meanings for some of the terms listed. Also by no means is that concrete. Just how I see their play styles when watching them.

can you give examples of some of these types using active NHL players? like Karlsson is probably a franchise two way defender, guessing Ovechkin is a franchise 'Playscorer' etc)

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
can you give examples of some of these types using active NHL players? like Karlsson is probably a franchise two way defender, guessing Ovechkin is a franchise 'Playscorer' etc)

Up until recently Karlsson would have gone down as a Franchise Puck Rusher IMO but he now has really focused his attention on playing the other side of the puck so he is definitely a Franchise Two Way defender. Ovechkin is probably the prime example of a Franchise Goalscorer.
Goalscorers are guys who typically have high shot volumes and they tend to be shoot first kind of players. Laine, Tarasenko, Matthews.
Playmakers tend to be pass first kind of guys, Petan and Drouin fall into that kind of play style.
Playscorers are guys who have the shot and the vision. They don't really focus on either one. Scheifele falls into that category. As do most players.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Mods if this isn't allowed please delete..

Hey guys as some of you may know I am in the process of creating a website dedicated to prospects both drafted and draft eligible. My original idea has since taken a new direction, but I wanted to ask HF Jets what kind of content they would like to see in a prospect oriented website?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
*Mods Delete if Not Allowed

Hey everyone!
As some of you may know a few of us from HF have decided to start a Prospect website. We wanted to start something to share our draft rankings, scouting reports and mock drafts but it quickly evolved from just a site with a few scouts wanting to get together to share their opinions to a full blown prospect wiki hub. Prospectpedia!

The aim of the site is two-fold. First we want to curate all of the information we can find about draft news, draft articles, team news, and players into an easily readable and editable format (in both desktop and mobile browsers) for all of you prospect junkies out there. Of course all information will link back to the authors site with full credit to them. We don't want to divert traffic from other sites, we want to help increase it.
Secondly we are assembling our own scouting and writing team to bring you up to date information on prospect news, events, draft rankings, scouting reports and much more!
The initial focus will be on NHL Draft Prospects but as things get going we will cover the OHL, QMJHL, WHL, CHL Import and USHL Drafts. When we get enough staff we will move on to cover drafted prospects and team prospect depth charts as well.

Hopefully this will be a resource a lot of you will use for all your hockey prospect needs.
The site has a long way to go as it is still in it's infancy but I wanted to get the site launched and hopefully it catches some attention and we can get more volunteers to help out. So without further ado below is the link to Prospectpedia. Let us know what you think!

https://prospectpedia.hockey/

If you want to see a prospect profile without having to dig around to much here is this weeks featured prospect Joe Veleno!

https://prospectpedia.hockey/index.php?title=Joe_Veleno

If you are interested in joining our team please send an email to:
[email protected]
We are looking for scouts in pretty much every region as well as writers and wiki editors. You can help out with one, two or all three.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Awesome Dax, checking out the Veleno page I really like the collection of links, especially the articles. I always liked reading/watching prospect interviews or articles detailing things about their life leading up to the draft and such, so a collection of articles all in one spot for a specific player is pretty sweet.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
*Mods Delete if Not Allowed

Hey everyone!
As some of you may know a few of us from HF have decided to start a Prospect website. We wanted to start something to share our draft rankings, scouting reports and mock drafts but it quickly evolved from just a site with a few scouts wanting to get together to share their opinions to a full blown prospect wiki hub. Prospectpedia!

The aim of the site is two-fold. First we want to curate all of the information we can find about draft news, draft articles, team news, and players into an easily readable and editable format (in both desktop and mobile browsers) for all of you prospect junkies out there. Of course all information will link back to the authors site with full credit to them. We don't want to divert traffic from other sites, we want to help increase it.
Secondly we are assembling our own scouting and writing team to bring you up to date information on prospect news, events, draft rankings, scouting reports and much more!
The initial focus will be on NHL Draft Prospects but as things get going we will cover the OHL, QMJHL, WHL, CHL Import and USHL Drafts. When we get enough staff we will move on to cover drafted prospects and team prospect depth charts as well.

Hopefully this will be a resource a lot of you will use for all your hockey prospect needs.
The site has a long way to go as it is still in it's infancy but I wanted to get the site launched and hopefully it catches some attention and we can get more volunteers to help out. So without further ado below is the link to Prospectpedia. Let us know what you think!

https://prospectpedia.hockey/

If you want to see a prospect profile without having to dig around to much here is this weeks featured prospect Joe Veleno!

https://prospectpedia.hockey/index.php?title=Joe_Veleno

If you are interested in joining our team please send an email to:
[email protected]
We are looking for scouts in pretty much every region as well as writers and wiki editors. You can help out with one, two or all three.

This sounds right down my ally, can't wait for it to be up. Quick question though, is it just info and stats on the play(in the player bios) or will there be right ups and info on they're strengths, weaknesses, comparisons, projections and etc? Anyways as soon as it sounds really cool for people who love the idea of Prospects and the future of hockey like me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad