2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly I just want a center from this draft. Wings are set for the next 10yrs at this point, and Niku, Samberg, Stanley, Poolman is a decent crop of D prospects. Even G looks great with a young #1G, berdin and comrie. C depth doesnt look nearly as good as I'd hope

I think you are way overrating our D prospects. Niku is looking very good. Samberg has shown potential but is a long way off. Stanley has shown improvement but only just what would be expected going from D to D+1 to D+2. He still has a long way to go to make the NHL at any level. Poolman has been healthy scratched the last couple of games in favour of Chiarot, with Kulikov playing his off side. He didn't look good the last couple of games he played.

We do also have Green and Nogier on the right side but they are hard to place, having missed the entire year so far.

Where we are likely drafting the odds of getting the kind of C we need are not good. We need a top 6 C, not another bottom 6 C. Our D needs are a little more modest but I think we need a L/R pair of 2nd pairing Dmen developing in the system. That's what will give us a steady progression of replacements as current D men age out or move on.

I'd be happy to get a C if he projects as a replacement for Little in the next 2-3 years. I expect the C's available where we will be picking will rate more at the bottom 6 level.

Reactions: dabizz

thistleswamp

Second Overall
Jun 7, 2011
Deloraine
I'd sure like to see a Defender taken in 1st round. I'd love to see another top pairing guy percolating in the system.
Samberg + Niku look like a potential second pair guys, Poolman 3rd pair, Stanley 7-8. Rest are probably AHL'ers at best, call-up types.
Trouba is a question mark (RFA this year, could be gone after next year?), Enstrom will be gone, Myers has injury problems and UFA after next season, Buff is slowing, Kulikov is good for 2 more years. JoMo is the one guy I'm confident will be a top pair guy for the Jets in 2 years.

C is set for a few more years with Scheif, Little, Roslo, Lowry and Copp. Maybe Appleton, Maybe Petan. Definitely need to draft a C, but priority is D for me.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd sure like to see a Defender taken in 1st round. I'd love to see another top pairing guy percolating in the system.
Samberg + Niku look like a potential second pair guys, Poolman 3rd pair, Stanley 7-8. Rest are probably AHL'ers at best, call-up types.
Trouba is a question mark (RFA this year, could be gone after next year?), Enstrom will be gone, Myers has injury problems and UFA after next season, Buff is slowing, Kulikov is good for 2 more years. JoMo is the one guy I'm confident will be a top pair guy for the Jets in 2 years.

C is set for a few more years with Scheif, Little, Roslo, Lowry and Copp. Maybe Appleton, Maybe Petan. Definitely need to draft a C, but priority is D for me.

We have Trouba for 2 more years after this one. Unless he signs long term or is traded, of course.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hopefully Roslo can still take Little's spot. Then you are set for a while with your top 3 and can hopefully pick up a 4th line center pretty easily.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hopefully Roslo can still take Little's spot. Then you are set for a while with your top 3 and can hopefully pick up a 4th line center pretty easily.

IIRC Maurice said that they see him more as a winger. That makes the odds of him replacing Little poor. I think we are still looking for that guy.

Fortunately Little's play has rebounded solidly. We probably have 2-3 years to come up with a replacement.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
IIRC Maurice said that they see him more as a winger. That makes the odds of him replacing Little poor. I think we are still looking for that guy.

Fortunately Little's play has rebounded solidly. We probably have 2-3 years to come up with a replacement.

3 years is a long time away. What would our winger depth be now if you exclude players drafted from 2014-2016?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
3 years is a long time away. What would our winger depth be now if you exclude players drafted from 2014-2016?

Sorry, don't get your point here. Don't know if you are agreeing, disagreeing or bringing in another angle.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

If we have to draft one its going to be a pretty long shot drafting 28-31st in the draft.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Might have to trade one of our pretty wingers for a higher draft pick or a center. (Connor, Roslo, Armia/ not even sure Armia gets us a good enough pick for a future 2nd line center.) I'm imagining Perrault, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers are all untouchables except for an especially generous offer.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Might have to trade one of our pretty wingers for a higher draft pick or a center. (Connor, Roslo, Armia/ not even sure Armia gets us a good enough pick for a future 2nd line center.) I'm imagining Perrault, Wheeler, Laine, Ehlers are all untouchables except for an especially generous offer.

We have enough high end wingers to be able to use 1 or even 2 converted into the prospects we need, IMO.

High end C prospects seem to be just about impossible to trade for once they have been drafted. It just doesn't happen. Trading for a high pick seems to be much easier. Obviously there is some psychology involved and perceptions of risk.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
We have enough high end wingers to be able to use 1 or even 2 converted into the prospects we need, IMO.

High end C prospects seem to be just about impossible to trade for once they have been drafted. It just doesn't happen. Trading for a high pick seems to be much easier. Obviously there is some psychology involved and perceptions of risk.
And Petan Dano and our first probably won't move us high enough in the draft. Also, isn't this a weak draft for Centers but we have a few years to get ourselves one. Little still has a little time.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And Petan Dano and our first probably won't move us high enough in the draft. Also, isn't this a weak draft for Centers but we have a few years to get ourselves one. Little still has a little time.

Yeah hold off until 2019 draft. It's loaded with centers. The hard part is picking the guys who will stay center and not shift to wing.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah hold off until 2019 draft. It's loaded with centers. The hard part is picking the guys who will stay center and not shift to wing.

Yes to the bolded.

In the context of trading a high value player the possibility exists to get a 1st that might be able to draft a Veleno or Kotkaniemi. I get your point about '19 but there are some good C's in this year's class. Of course, with the premium placed on C's the good ones may go ahead of where they are generally rated.

For our own pick, there are a couple of C's who might still be available. What do you think of Ryan McLeod? Might he still be around when we pick (25+)?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Maurice is only talking about this year when he says he likes him in the wing.

Reactions: adammlis

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Maurice is only talking about this year when he says he likes him in the wing.

I thought that he put it similarly to how he said that Petan's future was more likely as a winger. But I can't argue the point. I've just been regarding him as a winger until he isn't a winger anymore.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I thought that he put it similarly to how he said that Petan's future was more likely as a winger. But I can't argue the point. I've just been regarding him as a winger until he isn't a winger anymore.

He was never talking about the future in regards to Roslovic. The Jets as an org played Roslo at C more often than at wing with the Moose. We draft a lot of players who played C it seems. Early I. The year with the Moose there was almost a rotation at C.

Keep drafting players who played C is not a bad strategy

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He was never talking about the future in regards to Roslovic. The Jets as an org played Roslo at C more often than at wing with the Moose. We draft a lot of players who played C it seems. Early I. The year with the Moose there was almost a rotation at C.

Keep drafting players who played C is not a bad strategy

Agreed. The best players tend to play at C more often than not. Obvioulsy there are exceptions.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes to the bolded.

In the context of trading a high value player the possibility exists to get a 1st that might be able to draft a Veleno or Kotkaniemi. I get your point about '19 but there are some good C's in this year's class. Of course, with the premium placed on C's the good ones may go ahead of where they are generally rated.

For our own pick, there are a couple of C's who might still be available. What do you think of Ryan McLeod? Might he still be around when we pick (25+)?

Never been a fan of the McLeod's. All speed and no IQ. They play a decent two-way game. Ryan has a bit less tenacity but he is still decent enough with his stick. Ryan isn't as speedy as Mikey though so he doesn't have that wow you speed but still fast. He only missed 2017 draft by a few days so you can kind of see how far along he is relative to those guys. He would have been a 2nd/3rd rounder with his current production and likely should be in this draft as well. I see a kid with a great two-way game and speed but he won't have the offensive abilities to ever be a big producer in the NHL. Could become a really effective bottom 6 PK center that can chip in a bit offensively here and there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Never been a fan of the McLeod's. All speed and no IQ. They play a decent two-way game. Ryan has a bit less tenacity but he is still decent enough with his stick. Ryan isn't as speedy as Mikey though so he doesn't have that wow you speed but still fast. He only missed 2017 draft by a few days so you can kind of see how far along he is relative to those guys. He would have been a 2nd/3rd rounder with his current production and likely should be in this draft as well. I see a kid with a great two-way game and speed but he won't have the offensive abilities to ever be a big producer in the NHL. Could become a really effective bottom 6 PK center that can chip in a bit offensively here and there.

Thanks. Sounds good enough, but not what we would need.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Sorry, don't get your point here. Don't know if you are agreeing, disagreeing or bringing in another angle.

My point is that a teams prospect pool can change drastically over 2 years. If the jets pick a defenseman with their 1st and 2nd rounders two years in a row they suddenly have too many d prospects, nevermind if a later round pick turns out.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
My point is that a teams prospect pool can change drastically over 2 years. If the jets pick a defenseman with their 1st and 2nd rounders two years in a row they suddenly have too many d prospects, nevermind if a later round pick turns out.

So it is not a good thing that Little is back to looking like he has a few good years left in him? Or we should not try to get a C prospect with the potential to replace him in a few years?

I get what you are saying. Of course that is the case. I still don't see where it fits the post you quoted. What am I missing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad