2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I love Smith, I love Kotkaniemi, I love Wahlstrom.

I'd probably go Wahlstrom/Kotkaniemi.

Imagine the offensive pool with those two, Ikonen, Poehling, Evans, Bitten ? Daaamn.
No love for Boqvist?

Imagine the defensive pool with Boqvist, Smith, Brook.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Let's say we trade Pacioretty for the Oilers 1st. Kotkaniemi and Smith are both available, who do you take?

#1 I take Dahlin(LHD/PMD) then either Kotkaneimi or Veleno two way centers. Then with 4 - 2nd's load up with the BPA's, D. Bokk, J. McBain, N.Beaudin & X.Bouchard, that would make our system depth on a par with any team, IMHO!!!...:win::win::win::fight::hit::fence: Along with great skating, talent, desire and passion to be the best in the world. :stanley::stanley::stanley: Alex Khovanov(C) the rookie that missed half a season, get him instead of X.Bouchard.

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
The Isles aren’t trading those picks to move up. They need a good defender and a good centre (to play behind Barzal). They can grab both with their picks.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
We might see a Dubois situation happen with Wahlstrom for the Habs. They might genuinely think (there’s merit to both sides) he can play C at the next level and take him wherever they pick.

Reactions: Redux91

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
1 forward and 1 defenseman for sure? I can see the argument of Boqvist and Smith. Or Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi.
I won't lie Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi would be real tempting, we've been hurting so bad offensively the past few years, particularly this last one.

I'm personally sick of being a team who relies on goaltending more than anything - can we be an offensive powerhouse for a change. What if in the outside chance both develop into centers at the next level? That'd be absolutely massive going forward.

That said, one forward and one defenseman would probably be the smarter choice.

Reactions: dralaf

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I won't lie Wahlstrom and Kotkaniemi would be real tempting just based on the fact we've been hurting so bad offensively the last few years, particularly this one.

And I'm personally sick of being a team who relies on goaltending more than anything - can we change it up and be an offensive powerhouse for once? What if in the outside chance both develop into centers at the next level? That'd be absolutely massive going forward.

That said one forward and one defenseman would probably be the smarter choice.
Our 2nds can also be big factors. If we take 2 forwards, maybe Tychonick and Sandin are available with our 2nds. That would definitely make up for not taking a dman with one of the 1sts. Same thing if Dellandrea and Wise are available with our 2nds.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Our 2nds can also be big factors. If we take 2 forwards, maybe Tychonick and Sandin are available with our 2nds. That would definitely make up for not taking a dman with one of the 1sts. Same thing if Dellandrea and Wise are available with our 2nds.
I'd usually just stick with BPA but if you're presented with an opportunity to stock up on high end forwards, odds are you'll need to get them early. Whereas quality defensemen have historically been more attainable in the 2nd round. It's something to consider I would say.

Reactions: Mrb1p and Frank JT

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I'd usually just stick with BPA but if you're presented with an opportunity to stock up on high end forwards, odds are you'll need to get them early. Whereas quality defensemen have historically been more attainable in the 2nd round. It's something to consider I would say.

High end forward meaning centre ? I will assume that.

This is actually quite true. If you take a look at some teams with enviable Ds like Boston, Carolina, LA, Anaheim etc you will see that the top 4 includes players from a range of rounds.

Top 6 centres however are typically uncovered within the 1st 2 rounds , like 80% of them and 1Cs typically in the top 10 or so.

Bottom line is NHL scouts are very good at identifying centres so they go quickly, top 4 D on the other hand, not anywhere as efficient.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
You guys are talking about Captain Ready for Oliers' pick. Do you think it's unrealistic to trade Captain Not-So-Ready for the Islanders two first rounders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille