2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread (Less then 24 Hours Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
What do you guys think of Fonstad with one of our 2nd?

Haven't been impressed personally.

He hasn't been as good in the U-18s as he has in junior.. that's kind of the nature of this tournament, some times guys don't respond well when they aren't 'the man' in the tournament. I've seen it from Fonstad and Thomas and pretty much the entire Canadian blue-line

Reactions: WinterLion

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Hayton will probably play in the NHL, one of those I could see as a sure shot. BUT, I'm also pretty sure he, at best, will be a bottom 6 player. Possibly a good one, but still a bottom 6 player. The kind of player a great team needs to solidify it's cheap depth and it's bottom lines without having to rely on UFAs. But not the kind of player a team lacking in pure skill needs to draft... it all comes to necessities at some point, and we need skill, not 'well-rounded complete 2-way good without the puck' guys.

Problem is, I think management sees that type of capability as a skill, which is worrying.

Always thought that 'well-rounded complete 2-way good without the puck' kids are just kids with no defining skill or aspect that needs to work on deficiencies in order to have a chance for the big league, complimentary fillers that support real skill. They shouldn't be the building blocks of a team, it just makes no sense... maybe I'm a bit harsh, though.

Yeah I agree with you and tend to shy away from those types as well. It does happen that those guys break out and become great though. Ryan O'reilly, Bergeron & Wheeler are a few examples.... of course there are also the Chipchura, Quinton Howden, Jim O'brien etc... so much projection...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I had a dream last night that we were picking 4th and Svech fell into our lap after a D run and was the pick

TAKE OF THAT WHAT YOU WILL

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
when I think of Hayton, I see another Ben Maxwell. A vanilla player scouts always like too much because he's apparently a safe bet to make the big league. I could see Bergevin liking him as Marc plays not to lose rather than try to win with a Boqvist of this world.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
W-3DW-1DW-EK2C-3D2C-1D2C-EK1C-3D1C-1D1C-EK
Jesperi Kotkaniemixxxxxx
Adam Boqvistxxx
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Okay, so in this confusing table, I've marked 3 possibilities for each player: a winger, a 2C, and a 1C for Kotkaniemi, and a 3D, a 1D which should be interpreted as a good starting pairing dman, and Erik Karlsson, for Boqvist. The X indicates which player I would regret taking in the scenario indicated in each column.

Essentially, we have to pick a row. A criterion for picking a row could be that you want to pick the row with the smallest sum. If all regrets are equal, and the likelihood of each column is equal, that means Kotkaniemi loses by a factor of 2. Now, not all columns are equally likely (the EK columns are perhaps the least likely), and not all the weights are likely to be equal. For example, is it better to have a 1C instead of a 3D? Or a 3D instead of a W? To select your player, you'd have to multiply your regrets by their column likelihood, and sum them up for each row, and choose the smaller number.

An alternative is that we can select the row with has the smallest maximum regret. The maximum regret in Jesperi's row would be that he turns into a winger, while Boqvist turns into Erik Karlsson. The maximum regret in Boqvist's row would be that he turns into a 3D while Jesperi is, at last, the fabled unicorn 1C. I think Boqvist wins by that criterion.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
W-3DW-1DW-EK2C-3D2C-1D2C-EK1C-3D1C-1D1C-EK
Jesperi Kotkaniemixxxxxx
Adam Boqvistxxx
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Okay, so in this confusing table, I've marked 3 possibilities for each player: a winger, a 2C, and a 1C for Kotkaniemi, and a 3D, a 1D which should be interpreted as a good starting pairing dman, and Erik Karlsson, for Boqvist. The X indicates which player I would regret taking in the scenario indicated in each column.

Essentially, we have to pick a row. A criterion for picking a row could be that you want to pick the row with the smallest sum. If all regrets are equal, and the likelihood of each column is equal, that means Kotkaniemi loses by a factor of 2. Now, not all columns are equally likely (the EK columns are perhaps the least likely), and not all the weights are likely to be equal. For example, is it better to have a 1C instead of a 3D? Or a 3D instead of a W? To select your player, you'd have to multiply your regrets by their column likelihood, and sum them up for each row, and choose the smaller number.

An alternative is that we can select the row with has the smallest maximum regret. The maximum regret in Jesperi's row would be that he turns into a winger, while Boqvist turns into Erik Karlsson. The maximum regret in Boqvist's row would be that he turns into a 3D while Jesperi is, at last, the fabled unicorn 1C. I think Boqvist wins by that criterion.

Interesting take..

From my views.. I don't see Boqvist being worse than a 2nd pairing D who is a PP QB on the top PP unit.. while Kotkaniemi could be at worst a 3rd line winger.

I think in that situation, ultimate upside vs. ultimate downside (with really both busting is always an option because no one is sure), Boqvist also wins.

But I mean, in today's NHL.. and what I've seen, skating, positioning, smarts, offensive ability.. I can't see how Boqvist fails to become at least a 2nd pairing D and a top line PP option.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
You guys must be all wrong because

Hayton is a surefire top6 center. Facts are facts, coming from a professional.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Honestly, the way Berggren and Dellandrea are playing in this tournament makes me confortable enough to go with a Dman with our first : we could address a lot of the center issues by drafting one of the two in the late first/early second. Berggren in particular has a lot of plus offensive tools in my book, his ability to make plays at high speed particularly . He'd automatically be the best center in our depth chart if we can grab him. The one flaw in that is that I'm staring to think both will be gone by the 25th-ish pick, we'd have to do quite a bit of wheeling and dealing to make it happen. A Boqvist + Berggren/Dellandrea haul would have me all smiles.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Honestly, the way Berggren and Dellandrea are playing in this tournament makes me confortable enough to go with a Dman with our first : we could address a lot of the center issues by drafting one of the two in the late first/early second. Berggren in particular has a lot of plus offensive tools in my book, his ability to make plays at high speed particularly . He'd automatically be the best center in our depth chart if we can grab him. The one flaw in that is that I'm staring to think both will be gone by the 25th-ish pick, we'd have to do quite a bit of wheeling and dealing to make it happen. A Boqvist + Berggren/Dellandrea haul would have me all smiles.

Berggren is absolutely a winger at the next level but he's a possession winger, so you can put him with Poehling and draw more out of him than he would get with a winger that doesn't want the puck like a Gallagher.

Dellandrea is a must have.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
So tough to choose after the top 2. The other players all have big positives, but some small negatives too.

Dahlin
Svechnikov

Boqvist
Wahlstrom (don't know what order for these 3 yet)
Zadina

Hughes
Dobson

Tkachuk
Smith
Bouchard
Kotkaniemi

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Interesting take..

From my views.. I don't see Boqvist being worse than a 2nd pairing D who is a PP QB on the top PP unit.. while Kotkaniemi could be at worst a 3rd line winger.

I think in that situation, ultimate upside vs. ultimate downside (with really both busting is always an option because no one is sure), Boqvist also wins.

But I mean, in today's NHL.. and what I've seen, skating, positioning, smarts, offensive ability.. I can't see how Boqvist fails to become at least a 2nd pairing D and a top line PP option.

The minimax is a pretty classical criteria in decision theory. The problem with it, however, is that it can get ''dominated'' if there's one choice that has a really large risk/regret (these are different). This gets silly in the following way: Ruslan Iskhakov is one of the most talented offensive players in this draft. Using the minimax regret, you'd have to select him ahead of Veleno. I think the weighted average makes more sense, but I think Boqvist still has it.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Berggren is absolutely a winger at the next level but he's a possession winger, so you can put him with Poehling and draw more out of him than he would get with a winger that doesn't want the puck like a Gallagher.

I guess I could see that, he'd be able to use his skating the most as a winger. That said, I really see a lot of playmaking smarts in his game as well.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The minimax is a pretty classical criteria in decision theory. The problem with it, however, is that it can get ''dominated'' if there's one choice that has a really large risk/regret (these are different). This gets silly in the following way: Ruslan Iskhakov is one of the most talented offensive players in this draft. Using the minimax regret, you'd have to select him ahead of Veleno. I think the weighted average makes more sense, but I think Boqvist still has it.

Totally agreed. Iskhakov makes it? Well, he's probably the next Gaudreau in the league.. but if he doesn't overcome his shortcomings and bring it in the NHL environment, it's a wasted pick because he literally can't play in the league otherwise.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

There are going to be some players who are going to fall through the cracks and land at 35 or 38 for sure. Hopefully Timmins can snag them.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There are going to be some players who are going to fall through the cracks and land at 35 or 38 for sure. Hopefully Timmins can snag them.

Well that depends.. someone like McLeod or Groulx or M. Samuelsson could "fall" and I don't want Timmins to snag them.

After our selection, who I will probably not want because the organizational philosophy is still stuck in the dark ages.. I will be praying that other teams take bullets out of our own gun.

How much I would love to see McLeod, Groulx, Samuelsson, Ginning.. all off the board when we go up to pick.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I guess I could see that, he'd be able to use his skating the most as a winger. That said, I really see a lot of playmaking smarts in his game as well.

He's a really good playmaker, but moreover, he generally thinks the game at a high level. You can see that he doesn't just do things to do them. He does things because he has some further goal in mind. He's thinking a step ahead.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I had a dream last night that we were picking 4th and Svech fell into our lap after a D run and was the pick

TAKE OF THAT WHAT YOU WILL
It's not impossible...since I can guarantee the Ottawa Senators aren't picking Svechnikov.

They don't draft Russian born players and haven't for awhile.

So if Habs remain 4th...and the Senators somehow drop to #3.

The top 4 could legitimately be; Dahlin, Zadina, (sens pick), Svechnikov

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
What do you guys think of Fonstad with one of our 2nd?

Haven't been impressed personally.

He's been disapointing, but with the season he had its still a yes for me. Sometimes he can go unnoticed in a game, that'd be my knock on him. But, he's a really good playmaking winger and even though he hasn't shown it much, he's one of the better skaters in the draft. I'd still go for him with one of the two high 2nds.

That said, if there's someone like Berggren or Shafigullin there, then its a no.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
It's not impossible...since I can guarantee the Ottawa Senators aren't picking Svechnikov.

I've seen a lot of Sens fans who like Boqvist as their pick.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

I don't see a team taking Zadina over Svechnikov.

There is more chance that Zadina falls out of the top 3, then that he passes Svechnikov IMO.

Reactions: dralaf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad