Kraken 24/25 HC speculation

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I dunno, after watching that video clip I don’t think Brind’amour wants to work with Francis.

What young up and comers are out there? I currently feel woefully uninformed in that department.

No obvious “so-and-so is available, grab them quick!” names spring immediately to mind either.

Does the team end up with a Boudreau or Gallant type? What sort of coach does this team need right now? Anyone have someone in particular in mind, Brind’amour notwithstanding?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Evason seems the most promising if Brind'Amour isn't interested. Coachella coach feels the safe/lazy pick.

Failing those two I wonder if they get a coach with a huge personality. Someone people/the media talk about whether they are good or bad.

If we can't get Evason or Brind'Amour i'd be more receptive to getting an AHL coach who wants his shot than a retread from what feels like an old boys network.

Reactions: Kevinsane and kihei

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
As I mentioned in the other thread, Francis seems very loyal to his buddies. I had forgotten that Samuelsson (mentioned in the clip as the reason Francis wouldn’t give Brind’Amour the AHL job) was a scout for the Kraken back in 19/20.

How tight were Francis and Evason back in Hartford?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Most likely this.

I think we'll see a more experienced NHL guy that is more hands on.

So Evason seems quite possible.

He rarely gets talked about in fan rumors, doesn't seem to be a popular choice. Maybe just because nobody thinks about Minnesota. But Evason's record in Minnesota was fantastic.

Reactions: Kevinsane

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
He rarely gets talked about in fan rumors, doesn't seem to be a popular choice. Maybe just because nobody thinks about Minnesota. But Evason's record in Minnesota was fantastic.

He's a guy that normally makes you better and fast.

Though, he's also a guy that won't be with your team forever as his style of coaching seems to have his players start out well but then getting tired of him a couple of years into his job.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa

Though, he's also a guy that won't be with your team forever as his style of coaching seems to have his players start out well but then getting tired of him a couple of years into his job.
Is Gallant like that as well? At this point it doesn't seem to matter about wearing out, feels like NHL coaches have such a short shelf life at a team.

Reactions: Kevinsane

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Yes but that's the norm. Average coaching tenure is only 3 years.

Is Gallant like that as well? At this point it doesn't seem to matter about wearing out, feels like NHL coaches have such a short shelf life at a team.

Gallant goes out quick, though it seems his higher ups get tired of him before his players do. More of a players coach.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Well yeah.
But with Gallant it's also quite a bit about his system and his success in Vegas and with the Rangers relied a lot on insanly good goaltending that bailed him out.

Fleury was fantastic for the Golden Knights and they kept winning games where they got outplayed for 55 minutes but won thanks to him.
In New York he had Shesterkin who was nearly unbeaten everytime he faced at least 40 shots and that happened quite a bit.

But of course, you're right that coaches don't really have a lot of time(with the same team) in the league right now.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I think we can safely cross Brind'Amour off the list. :laugh:
I kinda felt like his vibe was vaguely negative towards Francis? He mentions him in the very beginning for context but then it kinda feels like he goes out of his way to not mention him again? And the tone just feels sorta…salty?

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
If he shakes loose, I suspect he’ll be able to write his own ticket to virtually every team with a coaching vacancy? Competition will likely be stiff?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
If he shakes loose, I suspect he’ll be able to write his own ticket to virtually every team with a coaching vacancy? Competition will likely be stiff?
Francis did say 'next month or 2' which makes me think we are waiting for someones season to be over. That could also mean Coachellas season though.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Francis did say 'next month or 2' which makes me think we are waiting for someones season to be over. That could also mean Coachellas season though.
Yeah. I doubt he wants to announce Bylsma as the Kraken coach while the staff and players there are preparing for the playoffs.

Waiting till end of the playoffs makes sense anyway. Gives more options and there isnt any rush in this area.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
According to Baker the Kraken have already held conversations with potential head coaches.

One of them was supposed to be Todd McLellan(formerly Kingst) and Joe Sacco(assistant in Boston) etc.

Fuhrious

Feb 3, 2004
I dunno, I only watched a couple of those “Hard Knocks” style training camp reality shows last pre-season, so maybe I missed a lot…but MacLellan struck me as a “play hard and the rest will sort itself out” coach without a lot of tactical nous.

Where’s that Kings dude with the Kopitar pfp who showed up in GDTs asking about Dunn’s health when we need him? Is MacLellan a bum or what?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I dunno, I only watched a couple of those “Hard Knocks” style training camp reality shows last pre-season, so maybe I missed a lot…but MacLellan struck me as a “play hard and the rest will sort itself out” coach without a lot of tactical nous.

Where’s that Kings dude with the Kopitar pfp who showed up in GDTs asking about Dunn’s health when we need him? Is MacLellan a bum or what?
Not a fan of TMac. You give him a talented enough team and he can take you to the playoffs but he never got the team to the next level in San Jose despite them have a lot more talent.

Didn't like him not utilizing the younger kids in San Jose.

Reactions: kihei and Fuhrious

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Young players do not seem to properly develop under his watch.

Hard nosed low event hockey is a lot easier to coach successfully when you have quite possibly the best defensive blueline in the league. Once he lost Cole, Soucy, and Suter, and Dumba slowed a few steps post injury, the limitations of his style without the elite personnel really started to show.

For a team that will be relying on mostly developing high-end young talent, I feel he is not a very good fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad