Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 5 - BACK TO TORONTO - Leafs 2 BRUINS 1 F/OT - Boston leads series 3-2

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Toronto has a weak defense. Wouldn’t you want speed at forward? At least create some forecheck and create some chaos in their end? Even if Lauko has stone hands which I won’t argue, at least he brings effort, speed, and physical play. And Beecher can win face offs and can cause havoc with speed on the forecheck. Someone tell me what brazeau and maroon on the same line helps? And JVR on another line w Frederic. How slow can you possibly get up front? I just don’t understand…

Montgomery simply HAD to be planning ahead for Florida, envisioning this type of 4th line. Which is also absurd because they simply needed to win.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Get well soon!
Yeh I’m feeling good - my blood pressure was high and I been eating like shit

Apparently if you eat a lot of bad food it can make you feel lousy and raise your blood pressure

All you kids out there reading this don’t consider ice cream, beer, and bacon burgers as essential food groups

Going to gym in 15 minutes and then Shaws and skipping ice cream section for fruit and veggies

I gotta go back in a month so i actually have to be good

The nurse who took my blood pressure before my doctor saw me yesterday was in the hallway was telling my doctor ‘his blood pressure is a bit high’ and my Doctor said ‘he’s probably nervous about the Bruins game tonight’

She’s a Bruins fan and actually I wasn’t nervous because i figured a lay up

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Toronto was just a team who wanted it more last night. They came out flying. Entered the zone with speed, were first and sometimes second on loose pucks and never really allowed any clean plays from the Bruins through the neutral zone and into their defending zone. Their D were pinching and playing aggressive from the start, and the Bruins couldn't get out of the zone so they started trying to fly guys early. Dump and chase also didn't work because the Bruins were beat to just about every puck. They're lucky they got one and didn't allow Woll to shut them out and enter game 6 with even more confidence than he already has.

The Beecher scratch was curious to me. I guess maybe they felt they had room to play around and put Brazeau in?

Swayman at least looked good. There has been a lot of back and forth on who should start this series, but I think you go Swayman for the rest of this series and let Ullmark take first start next round if they get that far.

I guess the only positive is that I'm hoping the Bruins couldn't play any worse and it still went to OT. Maybe they started to believe their own hype and though the Leafs would just roll over. By the time they woke up and figured it wasn't going to be easy, they already let the Leafs establish themselves.

Next game, Beecher draws back in. Gryz sits if Carlo can go. Expect a Leafs team to play like they did last night. They're desperate and have a lot of talent. They might also get Matthews back.
I think his idea for Brazeau coming in was hopefully to get more of a forcheck game going,but it definitely didn’t work.

It was an uncomfortable practice just off the ice when they had to watch and talk about their shitty performance

So did they think that the Leafs were just going to mail it in or not show up at all,I’m not sure why this team just can have a killer instinct.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Any word on carlo?
Also- Im pretty sure Matthews is done for at least this series.
so If we dont get past a Leafs team not having Matthews no way still will have a job.

Reactions: Gordoff

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm feeling much better - Dr also told me to lose 20 lbs

I never had a weight problem until I started grocery shopping

I have gone from "what's for supper" to getting supper

More important how’s the cat doing today - mine idea was playing tag this morning but claws out
He seems to be a bit better.

Reactions: DKH

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
The reporters as usual don't ask the right questions, but even if they did I suspect Monty would deflect anyway. He's not a talker, not to the media. Never has been. Cassidy was far more chatty, and notoriously was probably an over-sharer both in terms of tactics and his opinions on certain players. Jim's just not that guy. He runs the team as he sees fit and you can watch it and like the results, or not. For a fan that's about as much as you're going to get.
I don't know why they didn't just ask him "why he changed the lineup after the previous two wins in Toronto"? It's not a tough question to ask, or to answer, and I still don't know if Shattenkirk or Beecher were healthy scratches or banged up

If they were healthy scratches, it didn't make any sense to me.....especially Beecher who is their best faceoff guy

Don't fix what's not broke Monty

Last edited:

The Un4casted Storm

May 14, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Indeed. Toronto was DREADFUL as well. It was a preseason game where the Bruins played even worse.
To me that's the most frustrating part of last night's loss... Like if the Leafs came out with a monster effort after getting shredded in the press for the past few days and beat the Bruins with their best game, I don't think anyone here would be happy but we'd be able to understand it.

Instead the Leafs won a do-or-die game almost by default due to how unbelievably awful the Bruins were. Now they have life again and they haven't even played their best game yet...

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
To me that's the most frustrating part of last night's loss... Like if the Leafs came out with a monster effort after getting shredded in the press for the past few days and beat the Bruins with their best game, I don't think anyone here would be happy but we'd be able to understand it.

Instead the Leafs won a do-or-die game almost by default due to how unbelievably awful the Bruins were. Now they have life again and they haven't even played their best game yet...
The Leafs kept the Bruins hemmed in their own end for long stretches,not sure what the blocked shots numbers were ,but they sure seemed to be firing a lot of shots from the points.For the life of me I don’t get why the Bruins aren’t better at cycling the puck .

Reactions: Gordoff

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I think Monty is 100 % gone if they lose - he will be gone by mid week

If they win but have a bad showing vs Florida I think he’s Likely gone

He’s gotta win both series to be a lock

Really, with this roster? That feels like setting the bar unreasonably high to me. Monty's made his share of mistakes, but you've got to look at what he's working with too. Firing him for anything that happens now would be incredibly harsh. The guy's got nearly a .700 regular season win record. That has to count for something.

Reactions: gerrycheeversmask

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
They would want half the team gone to start with. Front office wouldn’t do that, so the likes of either we won’t see. We will get another Florek/Monty coach that plays nice with everyone and doesn’t rock the boat……..and then we will we up 3-1 with home ice and blow it…….in 2025 or 2026

AAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I still cannot believe last night.

I’ll be ok. Just need to got for a nine hour walk in the woods……..with a 6 pack……

Of what?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad