Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Hawks picking 8 and 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
not many of these kids drafted are going to have careers like Faulk - even on a down year he is miles better than anything we have minus Keith.

I am happy not moving any of the kids, but if you can get a 27 year old Faulk at a reasonable price, I would add that BOMB to our point in a heartbeat, he fixes so many issues we currently have IMO.

I guess it depends if they want to try to compete for a cup next year or not. The value is probably fair? Schneider at 26 was traded to NJ for the 9th OA pick (Horvat). The long term play is to take Wahlstrom/Hughes/Bouchard/Boqvist and hope to get Seabrook's contract off the books in 2019-2020 via compliance buyout, move Anisimov and have like 20m+ in cap space to address whatever needs are there.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Jesus! Are you just really high on him, or is that really what this kid could be?

If he’s really somewhere between Boeser and Laine, then that is something to be really excited about.

Honestly, I haven’t paid any attention to the top-10 forwards, I’ve only read up on the defensive players.

well, I have been bullish on him for a long time. I have no clue why it took so long for others to really start pimping his tires on here/scouting world. He was always a top 12-15 pick, but never seemed to get the attention he deserved. All he would do is just score goals, and I mean big time goals, freaking BOMBS out there!

the kid hits, he throws the body around as much as anyone on that US team right now. when I see a player like him he is reminiscent a bit of Ovechkin. Yes Ovi was more refined at this age, and was elite from day one, but this kid (Wahlstrom) has had highlight reels since 14 years old for the love of God.

as I said, Craig Button compares him to Mike Bossy - I cant stress that enough, Bossy is easily one of the top goal scorers EVER...now he isn't saying he will 100% be the next Bossy, but there are just so many things to like about his game that are elite level. some people try to say he gets a bit lazy or doesn't back check all the time, and yes that does happen with him, but it does for all goal scorers and I don't know why that is..they just focus on scoring goals, but this kid does go to the net hard, he is engaged physically, he will back check like a mofo when he has to...I just don't see a downside to this kid. He has been #3 on my list all year, and honestly probably would put him at 2. Yes, I am a US homer always have been always will be, but I also call out the bad US players, or those that worry me like Bode Wilde..

Wahlstrom has the chance to be between Boeser and Laine, and I don't think that is a stretch. He needs a top center dishing him the puck as he doesn't lead rushes much which is normal for snipers, but if he lands in the right spot, and lets say Chicago gets him, he is set for 30-40 goal years from day 1 at the NHL level.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I guess it depends if they want to try to compete for a cup next year or not. The value is probably fair? Schneider at 26 was traded to NJ for the 9th OA pick (Horvat). The long term play is to take Wahlstrom/Hughes/Bouchard/Boqvist and hope to get Seabrook's contract off the books in 2019-2020 via compliance buyout, move Anisimov and have like 20m+ in cap space to address whatever needs are there.
agreed, and 100% depends on if this team can still win now. that all depends on Crow, but if Bowman feels/knows Crow is coming back day 1, I have no problems looking to package that Preds pick with either Mitchell/HJ for a guy like Faulk. Especially if Carolina lands Dahlin, they then have the luxury to move Faulk out and we could find a way to get him...

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
I don't see Carolina trading a D-man for futures - they have enough youth/prospects in the system - they need a 1C.

Faulk is also their best RD, after him its Pesce, McKeown, TVR..

I could see them using Hanifin in a package deal for a 1C ala Jones/Larsson type deal.

Dahlin-Faulk
Slavvin-Pesce
Fleury-TVR
Bean
McKeown

However.. I don't see a prime aged 1C on the market.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
happy for Buffalo, this time they get the #1 pick and they should have a nice turn around ahead...too much young talent there to sit at the bottom, let Edmonton rot there lol!!!

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
At least the top three aren't going to be in the west. I feared Edmonton was going to wind up getting Dahlin and be a pain in the ass next year. So at least that didn't happen.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I'm happier for Canes fans. Told them on their board I'd like to think us taking their idea of bandwagoning playoff teams was the good luck charm. :laugh:

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
I would be Very Happy at 8 with Bouchard

BUF - Dahlin
CAR - Svechnikov
MON - Zadina
OTT - Tkachuk
ARZ - Boqvist
DET - Hughes
VAN - Wahlstrom
CHI - Bouchard

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Kotkaniemi has been good in U18. I’m Finnish and I really don’t want Blackhawks to draft him because Finnish ”HFBoards” will go crazy in Blackhawks section. Kotkaniemi’s hometown is full of ”porilaisia” who are pretty much people with small brains. They cant be objective at all when talking about Finnish players. Well it’s pretty much all that in whole Finland because most of them dont have any bond with NHL team so they follow only Finnish players. ”Porilaiset” are just the worst kind haha.

But yeah, I would not be dissappointed if they pick Kotkaniemi because we already have those RD prospects and Kotkaniemi has high-end potential. At least I would take him before Tkachuk.

Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina are out of reach. I hope teams value those RD’s a lot because that would give us Hughes, Wahlstrom or Kotkaniemi.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Well, we should get a good viewing of Kotkaniemi in about an hour

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Now that we know the draft order and who picks ahead of us at #8 we can try to identify who goes of the board and who might remain for our choice at the 8 spot...

Buffalo at #1 is obviously Dahlia.

Carolina will tale a forward...they need scoring..but they usually avoid Russians and even though Svechnikov plays in the OHL and is ranked 1st among NA skaters by Central Scouting ,I can see Carolina taking Zadina or Brady Tkachuk at #2..At #3 MTL also has a history of avoiding Russians ...so I can see them taking Zaduna ot Tkachuk depending on which of those 2 Carolina takes...That leaves Ottawa at #4 for Svechnikov except they too have avoided Russians since the Yashin fiasco ended badly..Also there was speculation if they got Dahlin they would let Karlsson walk to free agency rather than re-aign him; with hat gone now ,they probably re-sign Karlsson and cannot pass on Svechnikov even though he is Russian..It is interesting that 3 teams,Carolina ,Montreal and Ottawa that have avoided drafting Russians in the first round for many drafts are faced with a dilemma on Svechnikov ...the almost consensus 3 or 3 talent in this draft ..IF any of these teams think they can make a deal with say Arizona at #5 and let them.movep to get Svechnikov ,it would mean that
they are willing to grab a Dman at #5 instead and get some other asset or assets for moving down to #5 ...

In any case,after Dahlin at #1,the 3 forwards,Svechnikov,Zadina and Tkachuk in what ever order go off the board and #5 is probably a Dfeenseman...If there is no move up by Arizona at #5 to get a forward they could trade their pick for immediate help but whoever gets that pick by trade probably takes a defenseman. ..So expect either Bouchard or Dobson if size is wanted in RD right shot down or they go more smaller PMD types in Boqvist or Hughes. .though Quinn Hughes is a LD...At #6 what does Detroit take? Maybe Hughes ...local Michigan guy...Plus they will try tanking for his brother Jack in next year's lotto ..So it would be a coup for them if they landed both of the Hughes brothers in 2 successive drafts..Just a hunch they will try for this dream and so it starts with Quinn Hughes at #6..

At #7...Van can choose between Whalstrom for more scoring or one of the remains Dmen ...either a PMD like Boqvist or a bigger all round dman like Dobson or Bouchard whichever 2 of these 3 Dmen did not get taken at #5 .
I am not sure what Vancouver would choose. If they do not take Whalstrom then Stan could choose him at #8 or if he goes at #7 then we get to choose the last remainder of Bouchard, Dobson or Boqvist if we go dnan. ..However it would be another right shot dnan which we loaded up on last draft.

Still IF Bouchard is there hard to pass on him..But I would still consider a move down to #9 or #10 and take a forward there ...either Centre Jesperi Kotkaniemi or RW Vitaly Kravtsov...so especially if there is interest in whichever dnan remains at #8 for the taking (Bouchard,Dobson or Boqvist) from either the 9th or 10th draft spot teams ..then if I am Stan I would consider moving down 1 or 2 spots so we get Kotkaniemi or Kravtsov anyway instead of drafting one of them at #8 ..

Remember
.we do not have a 2nd rounder..so for moving down 2 spots I would demand a 2nd and we could throw in a 5th back in the deal ..
Something like that.

So if we took Kotkaniemi or Kravtsov with our pick ,whether at #8 or by move down to #9 or #10 ,then with our Nashville pick I would target Big LEFT shot LD Kevin Bahl 6'6 230 lbs...the -27 and low scoring for the Ottawa 67s of the OHL is misleading (not the low scoring but the -27) since Ottawa was a young team this year and they should be a lot better this season and I expect Bahl will put up good positive numbers...He really impressed me at the-18s for Canada...solid defending ...even looked dangerous when he jumped up to carry the puck at the netbin the attacking zone a few times..he moves well for a big guy and has a huge reach with that stick to break up plays and the big bod to physically crease clear ND move guys off pucks..Like him with that reach for the OK too..Expected to go late first do he should be in our Nashville pick wheelhouse .

I would be very happy if we got either Kotkaniemi or Kravtsov with our first selection of round 1 and then added huge Kevin Bahl with our 2nd puck of the first found. .Even happier if Stan could get a 2nd rounder for moving down to #9 or #10 to materialize this plan ...

Last edited:

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
So...NYR drafts at#9 and EDM drafts at #10...

In the post above I speculated on us moving down or 2 spits IF we wanted to take Kotkaniemi or Kravtsov instead if either Whalstrom or a Dman...the question is who would NYR and EDM prefer :Whalstrom?I doubt they would try to.move upto #8 to get him if they wanted a forward...they could just sit back at #9 and #10 and get forwards anyway .BUT ...if they want a right shot Dan, then if Detroit takes Hughes at #6 we can expect that 2 of Bouchard Dobson or Boqvist will still get there at #8 ..The pundits decry that EDM NEEDS badly a PMD to.move pucks up to streaking McDavid and their forwards ..so if Boqvist is there at #8 for sure EDM could be our trade partner if we can agree on the price for us moving down 2 spots.But what if NYR took Boqvist at #9? EDM cannot be sure NYR would pass on Boqvist if they did not move up ...If NYR really also wants Boqvist ahead of the remainder of Bouchard or Dobson if one of these 2 goes at #7 ...or if either NYR or EDM fears the Hawks trading back to # 11 so that their target Dman goes off the board at #8 anyway ,then the Hawks should be able to swing a deal with NYR or EDM in these circumstances...Again...we Know EDM would like either a PMD like Boqvist or a more all round dman with size and a good point shot too like Bouchard or Dobson. What we do not know is if NYR ALSO is targeting a Dman and would like to guarantee they do not lose their top target remaining on 5he board to EDM or the team after EDM moving up to ÷8 ..

So the Hawks are in pretty good bargaining have position IF one or both of NYR AND/OR EDM are targeting Dmen and if we are targeting a forward.

Again ...hard to pass on the dman talent ..But the Hawks have loaded the pipeline with right shot RD ....We need more centre's with talent and some size Kotkaniemi fills that need..bit IF NYR takes him we still can grab Kravtsov ifwe traded with EDM or to the team after them ...and he could be maybe turn out the best forward talent in this draft ...Or even Walston could slide to #10 or #11 if we preferred tali g him (I do not...because though he is a talented scorer,the rest of his game leaves me cold).

It is just that given all the Right shot RD,and our existing stockpile in that position,we must start filling other needs ..at Centre ,Wing and LD... So I would look for is to trade down 1 ,2 or maybe even 3 spots if there's interest in the remaining RD available at #8 .... So we shall see.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Someone good is going to fall to No. 8, happens every year.

However, we should see if we could work something out with NYI for 11 and 12, maybe our two for their 2, if Wahlstrom doesn’t fall. They might want the D-man to help entice Tavares to stay.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Oof, Wahlstrom misses a wide open net with seconds left in the game to lose it for the US

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Wahlstrom misses the open net with seconds to go

Congrats Finland

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
We need cheap players because of our cap situation. Do you really see us trading the #8 pick for a vet? I don't see it happening unless the Hawks can staple one of the terrible contracts with it.

Hence, it sounds like:

* Wahlstrom
* Bouchard
* Kotkaniemi

are the most likely candidates at the #8 pick?

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Bouchard seems like he’d help a lot. I especially like that he has a good wrist shot, high hockey IQ and he’s great at keeping his shot low for tips. We’ve needed someone like that for a long time, would not at all be disappointed to come away with him.

Game suspension

Feb 11, 2018
My thoughts are forwards can help earlier. Dmen take longer to adapt to the NHL and some never make much of an impact despite being high draft picks. At first glance it looks like the hawks are set to pick a dman. The odds of Wahlstrom being around at 8 are low if you look at the rankings.

Personally I think the hawks higher need is up front. I know Toews and Saad want to play with Kane again next year but that is a recipe for another disastrous season.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
My thoughts are forwards can help earlier. Dmen take longer to adapt to the NHL and some never make much of an impact despite being high draft picks. At first glance it looks like the hawks are set to pick a dman. The odds of Wahlstrom being around at 8 are low if you look at the rankings.

Personally I think the hawks higher need is up front. I know Toews and Saad want to play with Kane again next year but that is a recipe for another disastrous season.

I’d love to make a deal to get those 2 Islanders picks and take 2 forwards like Kravtsov and Veleno.

The D would still be shoddy but we could have a sick forward group. I mean, the Pens seem to get away with it pretty easily so maybe that is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad