Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Hawks picking 8 and 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Bowman believes both picks will be near immediate contributors. DeBrincat was picked at what 39th overall, and he believes their scouting will do just as good and land the team 2 kids ready for this year/next year - his words with EJ Hradek at the GM Meetings earlier this month...he could be right as that late first could still be a gem that we steal like Saad or Cat...

I feel like DeBrincat and Saad were exceptions not the rule.

Who in the lower part of the top-10 is NHL ready? Who in the lower part of the first round is?

I’m not saying they won’t draft good players, I’m just doubting the opportunity to get good players who can immediately contribute at these spots.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I told you we would be bumped back...it could have been worse...only dropped 1...at least Edm orNYR did not move up ...Anyway at #8 still probably the same 2nd tier group from the top 10 to consider ...After Dahlin and then the 3 forwards in whichever order they go ()Svechnikov,Zadina and Tkachuk) it probably is Bouchard Boqvist in whatever order at #5 and #6..

The group from 7-10 should be Whalstrom,Dobson,Hughes (Quinn Hughes ) and Kotkaniemi (who is #10 on some lists and in my opinion the top Centre prospect in this draft..

If I were Stan at #8 I want Kotkaniemi because top ten Centre's with his size and all round skill are hard to get
. ...and we are thin in Centre's of this level in our pipeline ..But if Stan thinks teams at #9 or 10 want any 2 of Whalstrom Dobson or Hughes ahead of Kotkaniemi ,we could try a trade down 1 or 2 spotss if the price is right and still get Kotkaniemi ..

So we need to see if Dobson Hughes or Whalstrom goes at #7 ,then make some calls to see if trams at #9 or #10 want the remainder of this group of 3..Leaving Kotkaniemi for us which is best for our structural Ling term needs down the middle .

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
The one possible silver lining of Carolina getting Dahlin is they may be willing to trade Hanifin’s RFA rights. I feel like I may move this #8 for Hanifin

Well, that scenario would be absolutely phenomenal and I'd do it in a heartbeat, but doubt CAR does.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If there was a preference for which player falls to 8 - Quinton Hughes, Adam Boqvist, Brady Tkachuk, Oliver Wahlstrom and Evan Bouchard - who would it be? Taking into account need and pure talent. I think I prefer Hughes for D because the organization is probably thinner at LHD at this point and Wahlstrom because there are quite a few posters that are convinced he is a top 3 talent and really good value at 8.

Can see the board shaking out like this...

Buffalo/Montreal/Carolina - Dahlin, Svechnikov, Zadina
Ottawa - Boqvist/Bouchard (RHD to replace Karlsson)
Phoenix - Boqvist/Bouchard
Detroit - Hughes (Michigan connection)
Vancouver - Tkachuk (Dim Jim loves his meat and potatoes)
Chicago - Wahlstrom

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I feel like DeBrincat and Saad were exceptions not the rule.

Who in the lower part of the top-10 is NHL ready? Who in the lower part of the first round is?

I’m not saying they won’t draft good players, I’m just doubting the opportunity to get good players who can immediately contribute at these spots.
They have done it multiple times, I guess that is the point...it isn't a guarantee, but the possibility is there, and I think we have a top 5 scouting team in all of hockey. Which is why we have landed guys like Shaw, Sikura, Hammer, Buff, etc, etc in later rounds for a decade plus.

Younger players are entering the league at a faster rate than the previous 10 years. I am not saying it is going to happen either, and I have my doubts like you, but Bowman believes it can, and I personally enjoy hearing that. They are confident in what they do and in this draft as a deep draft with top talent.

Per your question on who is NHL ready at that 7-10 range depending on how teams pick - IMO, only Bouchard would be, and possibly Dobson. Both young defenders, both right handed and both mobile, talented offensively inclined skilled bigger dmen...yep a lot of adjectives there!! lol. I think those are logical options there. Quinn Hughes is the wild card. He will now be playing for team USA at the World Championships next week with Kaner...If this kid holds his own out there against men, he might be a kid who is 1 and done at Michigan and turns pro...you never know.

End of the first round just has so many variables...I don't see anyone in that range that can jump in right away to the NHL, but in 2 years where it would be more likely would have a lot of names there....just to many variables right now with that pick to really focus on it yet.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Well, that scenario would be absolutely phenomenal and I'd do it in a heartbeat, but doubt CAR does.

Carolina already locked up Slavin to a long term deal, he’s entrenched as one of their top-4 LHD, Dahlin would be the other. Why spend big bucks on Hanifin’s new deal when you already have two LHD you like?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Carolina already locked up Slavin to a long term deal, he’s entrenched as one of their top-4 LHD, Dahlin would be the other. Why spend big bucks on Hanifin’s new deal when you already have two LHD you like?
their defense was still a mess this year...you don't move Hanifin, that is the kind of move that a team regrets for a decade...Nashville isn't upset about moving Jones just yet, but in 2-3 years, they are going to regret that move massively.

If there is a dman to move out of Carolina, it won't be Hanifin, it will be Faulk, and I would be all in on him!

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
They have done it multiple times, I guess that is the point...it isn't a guarantee, but the possibility is there, and I think we have a top 5 scouting team in all of hockey. Which is why we have landed guys like Shaw, Sikura, Hammer, Buff, etc, etc in later rounds for a decade plus.

Younger players are entering the league at a faster rate than the previous 10 years. I am not saying it is going to happen either, and I have my doubts like you, but Bowman believes it can, and I personally enjoy hearing that. They are confident in what they do and in this draft as a deep draft with top talent.

Per your question on who is NHL ready at that 7-10 range depending on how teams pick - IMO, only Bouchard would be, and possibly Dobson. Both young defenders, both right handed and both mobile, talented offensively inclined skilled bigger dmen...yep a lot of adjectives there!! lol. I think those are logical options there. Quinn Hughes is the wild card. He will now be playing for team USA at the World Championships next week with Kaner...If this kid holds his own out there against men, he might be a kid who is 1 and done at Michigan and turns pro...you never know.

End of the first round just has so many variables...I don't see anyone in that range that can jump in right away to the NHL, but in 2 years where it would be more likely would have a lot of names there....just to many variables right now with that pick to really focus on it yet.

Ya, I’m not saying it can’t be done either. I’m just doubting that it’s likely, and something Bowman or any fan should get excited about.

This picks should heavily contribute in the coming years, but I’m not jumping for joy tonight about a #8 pick stepping in immediately.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
their defense was still a mess this year...you don't move Hanifin, that is the kind of move that a team regrets for a decade...Nashville isn't upset about moving Jones just yet, but in 2-3 years, they are going to regret that move massively.

If there is a dman to move out of Carolina, it won't be Hanifin, it will be Faulk, and I would be all in on him!

Wishful thinking on my part.

I don’t know if I’d move #8 for Faulk, but I’d certainly be on the phone with Carolina about him.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Wahlstrom simply won't. I can't see him past 5/6.

With the Red Wings picking 6, that could be the thing that saves us with Hughes...might be a smidge too early to take Hughes there, and the Canucks at 7, I don't see Hughes there...so maybe we can get Hughes/Bouchard at 8...if we get one of them, it is a good draft...

then go get Jake Wise at pick 27-31 of the Preds.

Future Considerations has Wahlstrom at 8, McKeen's at 7, I'm telling you there's a chance! :) Or maybe we could trade for something like 6 and 36 for 8 and 27.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The real wild card is Vitaly Kravtsov...He was the big riser on many lists after his tremendous KHL playoffs..but like all KHL Russians you may have to wait longest before he can come over ..if his KHL club locks him up contractually the team drafting him may be waiting longest before other drafted high get here.If Stan trades down 2 spits we could also grab him at #10 or if a team at #6 or #7 thinks he us the real prize maybe they take him that high and push others back down.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Wahlstrom

Makes a lot of sense for Wahlstrom to be there at 8. Arizona and Vancouver could snag him, but Arizona needs D and Dim Jim loves his meat and potatoes.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Future Considerations has Wahlstrom at 8, McKeen's at 7, I'm telling you there's a chance! :) Or maybe we could trade for something like 6 and 36 for 8 and 27.
I understand where some rankings have had him at, after the u-18 where he is leading the entire tournament in goals, he simply isn't going to be there IMO. NHL.com has him at 5, and I think Bobby Mac and his scouts have him at 6 right now...Trust me, I am praying for it to happen, just not holding my breath that there are that many stupid teams drafting ahead of us to let us land Wahlstrom.

For what it is worth, Craig Button keeps comparing Wahlstrom to Mike Bossy in shot release, accuracy, velocity etc...This kid is the best in this draft and doing the most important thing - score goals, and when you get compared to Mike freaking Bossy by an ex-GM and analyst who follows prospects for decades, tells you all you need to know about him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Wahlstrom

Makes a lot of sense for Wahlstrom to be there at 8. Arizona and Vancouver could snag him, but Arizona needs D and Dim Jim loves his meat and potatoes.

I have been comparing Wahlstrom to Brock Boeser the past 18 months...how ridiculous would it be for the Canucks to have Boeser and then land Wahlstrom??? f***, that duo would be insane to have to stop.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Dahlin
Svechnikov
Zadina
Boqvist
Bouchard
Hughes
Tkachuk
Wahlstrom

What’s this Wahlstrom going to be like, and how long will it tak him to get to the NHL?

Is he going to be a game-changing player?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I'm more pissed about this than I have any reason to be, but 3-9 are a bit of a crap shoot. Not to mention Jokiharju is close to ready.

I'll just hope Boqvist (who's stock probably dropped today because he got concussed) or Hughes are available at our spot.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I'm more pissed about this than I have any reason to be, but 3-9 are a bit of a crap shoot. Not to mention Jokiharju is close to ready.

I'll just hope Boqvist (who's stock probably dropped today because he got concussed) or Hughes are available at our spot.

If Boqvist drops, that’s really the only way I’d be overly excited about this pick.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Wishful thinking on my part.

I don’t know if I’d move #8 for Faulk, but I’d certainly be on the phone with Carolina about him.

I don't know what it would take to land Faulk, but he seems like the guy to target as a likely player who was on an off year that we could "steal" on the cheaper end. I wouldn't move the #8 for him, but if you can find a way to move that Preds pick, plus Jokiharju - maybe we are in the ball park. And before people freak out about moving the JU, Ian Mitchell is right there with him as a player stepping in on that right side, one of those 2 kids could be packaged to land us a legit stud like Faulk...if we think we can win now, and get a 27 year old Faulk, and still have a Mitchell or Jokiharju coming up, I can easily live with moving one of them.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
What’s this Wahlstrom going to be like, and how long will it tak him to get to the NHL?

I would imagine if he goes to BC they try to sign him by the end of his freshman year ala Mittlestadt, so could be in some games by end of next year or start of 2019-2020.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Would not be in favor of Faulk for the 8. Hanifin, I can get behind because he's young and fills a need, can contribute next year, etc and they sort of skip the development phase that they'd undertake with say Hughes.

Faulk doesn't make as much sense - older, two years from UFA status, and Joki/Mitchell are probably on the 2019 team. Joker is probably on a pair with Keith to start next season and gets 9 games to prove himself.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

he will be 1 year and done at the NCAA level, regardless if he goes to Harvard, Michigan, or BU/BC..

He is an even more skilled Brock Boeser IMO...that is his floor, his ceiling is whatever the hell he wants it to be. This kid is about 6'2 210lbs, and plays with ferocity - he hits anything that moves out there. Very physical, always has a net presence, goes to dirty areas, but then looks like Ovechkin out there on 35 foot bombs that shred the net.. He can be another Ovechkin/Laine if he works on his game a bit more...he is THAT damn good.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't know what it would take to land Faulk, but he seems like the guy to target as a likely player who was on an off year that we could "steal" on the cheaper end. I wouldn't move the #8 for him, but if you can find a way to move that Preds pick, plus Jokiharju - maybe we are in the ball park. And before people freak out about moving the JU, Ian Mitchell is right there with him as a player stepping in on that right side, one of those 2 kids could be packaged to land us a legit stud like Faulk...if we think we can win now, and get a 27 year old Faulk, and still have a Mitchell or Jokiharju coming up, I can easily live with moving one of them.

I think you’re spot on with this. Two guys who play the same side, who have shown similar potential. Use one to land someone who can contribute at a high level immediately.

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Would not be in favor of Faulk for the 8. Hanifin, I can get behind because he's young and fills a need, can contribute next year, etc and they sort of skip the development phase that they'd undertake with say Hughes. Faulk doesn't make as sense, older, two years from UFA status, and Joki/Mitchell are probably on the 2019 team. Joker is probably on a pair with Keith to start next season and gets 9 games to prove himself.

not many of these kids drafted are going to have careers like Faulk - even on a down year he is miles better than anything we have minus Keith.

I am happy not moving any of the kids, but if you can get a 27 year old Faulk at a reasonable price, I would add that BOMB to our point in a heartbeat, he fixes so many issues we currently have IMO.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
he will be 1 year and done at the NCAA level, regardless if he goes to Harvard, Michigan, or BU/BC..

He is an even more skilled Brock Boeser IMO...that is his floor, his ceiling is whatever the hell he wants it to be. This kid is about 6'2 210lbs, and plays with ferocity - he hits anything that moves out there. Very physical, always has a net presence, goes to dirty areas, but then looks like Ovechkin out there on 35 foot bombs that shred the net.. He can be another Ovechkin/Laine if he works on his game a bit more...he is THAT damn good.

Jesus! Are you just really high on him, or is that really what this kid could be?

If he’s really somewhere between Boeser and Laine, then that is something to be really excited about.

Honestly, I haven’t paid any attention to the top-10 forwards, I’ve only read up on the defensive players.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
not many of these kids drafted are going to have careers like Faulk - even on a down year he is miles better than anything we have minus Keith.

I am happy not moving any of the kids, but if you can get a 27 year old Faulk at a reasonable price, I would add that BOMB to our point in a heartbeat, he fixes so many issues we currently have IMO.

I’m with you here. This is one of those rare times that I’d rather move assets out than sign a UFA. I feel like Faulk would contribute more and for a longer term than Carlson would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad