Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft - Hawks picking 8 and 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
My 7 round mock draft. Just trying to simulate what could happen, not really doing any personal analysis

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/teemus-2018-final-7-round-mock-draft.2506139/

I’d be surprised if they choose Wahlstrom over Tkachuk if it comes down to it. One, because Tkachuk is probably more NHL ready and they want to add a top 9 forward (Wahlstrom might be too, but they’ll need him to skip freshman year at BU). Two, I can see Hawks wanting to add some “edge” to their lineup. Sort of been missing since Shaw left town. If we get to the 8th pick and they have their choice between the two then its a dream scenario.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I’d be surprised if they choose Wahlstrom over Tkachuk if it comes down to it. One, because Tkachuk is probably more NHL ready and they want to add a top 9 forward (Wahlstrom might be too, but they’ll need him to skip freshman year at BU). Two, I can see Hawks wanting to add some “edge” to their lineup. Sort of been missing since Shaw left town. If we get to the 8th pick and they have their choice between the two then its a dream scenario.
if it comes down to both of them available at #8, just rub gravy on yourself and enjoy the ride!!

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Noticed they showed a piece of their private 1 on 1 interview for Tkachuk, Zadina, Svechnikov, Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist, Kotkaniemi, and Bouchard but when they talked about Wahlstrom they didn’t. We see you StanBo...

“Put in the interviews of the players that likely won’t be there at 8”

Most of those players are projected to go before 8 in most mocks

Last edited:

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
if it comes down to both of them available at #8, just rub gravy on yourself and enjoy the ride!!
Haha gold. I’ll make some German hunters sauce tonight so I’m ready for tomorrow.

At the end of the day I trust Kelley and our scouts so I’m sure we will get a great player. I’ve even warmed up to the idea of Bouchard being the pick the last few days. I’m still hoping for Wahlstrom, Tkuchuck or in some crazy turn of events, Zadina

Reactions: AmericanDream

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Noticed they showed a piece of their private 1 on 1 interview for Tkachuk, Zadina, Svechnikov, Hughes, Dobson, Boqvist, Kotkaniemi, and Bouchard but when they talked about Wahlstrom they didn’t. We see you StanBo...

they did a lengthy interview with Wahlstrom, it was a 1-1 as well..watched it about 30 minutes ago..

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I trust Kelley and our scouts so I’m sure we will get a great player.
Honestly shout out to Kelley. He's been doing such a good job. Last year's draft was a huge success grabbing Jokiharju, Mitchell, Barratt and Soderlund. Altybarmakyan may have been a good pick too, but I'd like to season a full KHL season out of him first. We've just had a lot of guys we've been able to develop and keep in our system like Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Hayden, Hinostroza and Sikura. Suddenly we also have an influx of D in Rockford with guys like Carlsson, Tuulola and Hillman coming in. I don't think the Hawks scouting team gets as much credit as they deserve.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012

That's 8 guys... and since it doesn't count Dahlin theres zero possibility 2(including Walstrom now) aren't there to pick

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
Here's episode 2 of On the Clock.

Interesting to here the scout's thoughts on the different players.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Is Mark Kelley a guy that could be a GM candidate if Stan was relieved of his duties? Or is it typical that guys with amateur scouting background stay on that side? Interestingly enough his father was a coach and GM so maybe he’s got some roots there.

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
Is Mark Kelley a guy that could be a GM candidate if Stan was relieved of his duties? Or is it typical that guys with amateur scouting background stay on that side? Interestingly enough his father was a coach and GM so maybe he’s got some roots there.
For me, he's a guy that is so good in his current role you hope he stays there. I think GMs are spread pretty thin so they don't get to do all the scouting they would like. I hope Kelley stays put, but I don't see why he couldn't be a good GM.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
seems like they are completely different jobs.

Kinda what I was asking. Are they two different worlds and candidates come from only the pro side or is it plausible for Kelley to be a candidate down the road? Not like they couldn’t hire an AGM that has pro experience with contracts, trades etc. Or even put in place a President of Hockey operations that Kelley would report to. The guy obviously has an eye for NHL talent. But thats only half the job.

ploppsdman

Don't stand for the Blackhawks. Stand for Kyle.
Feb 5, 2004
I think Chicago is going to end up having to pick a D.. Tkachuk will probably be gone by 6, and I'd bet they have the D rated higher than Wahlstrom.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I hope not. They need another pure sniper more than a top 4 RHD. They addressed that need last year. There is still a hole at 2LW if Cat is going to take Hossa’s spot permanently.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Director of Scouting, at least in the Blackhawks case and many NHL teams, have a pretty sizeable involvement on the GM's side of things. There's a lot of crossover. That said, I don't know how many guys, if any, have gone directly from Director of Scouting to GM. There's often an Asst. GM stop in between which makes a lot of sense in that that's where you learn all of the day-to-day duties of the GM and upper management and learn those ropes in full.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I do think they’ve done a great job in the first round. Schmaltz, Teuvo, Hartman, Danault. All very solid players picked in the later half of the first round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad