Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What are you referring to here?
Ho-Sang was a less than ideal teammate to McDavid and was jealous of the attention he got after Ho-Sang went back down a level (Ho-Sang played with the 1995 Marlies growing up) because he didn't get exceptional status for the OHL (don't think he applied). Ho-Sang was highly hyped, but McDavid's was much larger. If you've ever heard the kid interview he thinks insanely highly of himself and didn't react well to not being the star of the team. He played like he was playing one on five and wasn't a good teammate.

At the under-17's he purposely tried to create issues with McDavid and was a less than an ideal teammate. That is why (along with a few other issues), Hockey Canada wanted nothing to do with him after the 2012 U-17 challenge. So he didn't even get invited to try out for the U-18's or be part of the Hlinka squad in 2013.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I think it is telling Hockey Canada chose 3 other U-18 defenders over Merkley.

It could be. I imagine that they were most concerned about his defense.

Then again, Hockey Canada has made some not so smart decisions, so it could mean nothing.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Ho-Sang was dumped by Windsor and ignored by Hockey Canada for good reasons. The kid was an ******* at the U-17's and was trying to cause problems with McDavid that dated back to the GTHL due to Ho-Sang's jealousy of being overshadowed in his OHL draft year. After that, Hockey Canada wanted nothing to do with him.

This is great stuff. I thought the object was to ice a team to win the WJC's. He never got another sniff. CMD was no-where near Team Canada when Ho-Sang was dumped again. Their decisions tend to look arrogant and bigoted. Ho-Sang may prove them to be just that. I'm not disputing your story - who could without a link as evidence.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Ho-Sang was a less than ideal teammate to McDavid and was jealous of the attention he got after Ho-Sang went back down a level (Ho-Sang played with the 1995 Marlies growing up) because he didn't get exceptional status for the OHL (don't think he applied). Ho-Sang was highly hyped, but McDavid's was much larger. If you've ever heard the kid interview he thinks insanely highly of himself and didn't react well to not being the star of the team. He played like he was playing one on five and wasn't a good teammate.

At the under-17's he purposely tried to create issues with McDavid and was a less than an ideal teammate. That is why (along with a few other issues), Hockey Canada wanted nothing to do with him after the 2012 U-17 challenge. So he didn't even get invited to try out for the U-18's or be part of the Hlinka squad in 2013.
hmm. Obviously heard of his bout with Hockey Canada but didnt know he had any "beef" with CM in the past.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is great stuff. I thought the object was to ice a team to win the WJC's. He never got another sniff. CMD was no-where near Team Canada when Ho-Sang was dumped again. Their decisions tend to look arrogant and bigoted. Ho-Sang may prove them to be just that. I'm not disputing your story - who could without a link as evidence.
It's not bigoted at all. Ho-Sang just happens to be black.

Disbelieve me if you want, but there is a reason Windsor dumped him for so little and why Hockey Canada never wanted him anywhere near the program again. I get your an Ice Dog fan and he did well for you, but he was a disaster in Windsor and caused chemistry problems with Hockey Canada. It's not that McDavid was the only one who disliked him for his antics.

You really think he dropped to 27 and was listed as a No-Draft by multiple teams just because of how he interviewed on TV? Teams knew the stories and wanted nothing to do with him. He may prove the isles right for gambling on him, or he could flame out. They cut him early from camp once, and healthy scratched him this year in Binghampton. He closed the year strong and maybe he keeps it up. But, if you don't think there is fire to the smoke around Ho-Sang you haven't been paying attention. It also caused his fall in the OHL draft.

Most places are pretty reluctant to report the full details on things when it involves minors. That's why you just see "character concerns" but never get it elaborated on. I mean Sean Day showing up 30 pounds overweight to Hlinka was barely reported on, and it was covered up that he was suspended mid-year in Sauga for leaving the bench mid-game after arguing with the coach and was listed as scratched with injury.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
It's not bigoted at all. Ho-Sang just happens to be black.

Disbelieve me if you want, but there is a reason Windsor dumped him for so little and why Hockey Canada never wanted him anywhere near the program again. I get your an Ice Dog fan and he did well for you, but he was a disaster in Windsor and caused chemistry problems with Hockey Canada. It's not that McDavid was the only one who disliked him for his antics.

You really think he dropped to 27 and was listed as a No-Draft by multiple teams just because of how he interviewed on TV? Teams knew the stories and wanted nothing to do with him. He may prove the isles right for gambling on him, or he could flame out. They cut him early from camp once, and healthy scratched him this year in Binghampton. He closed the year strong and maybe he keeps it up. But, if you don't think there is fire to the smoke around Ho-Sang you haven't been paying attention. It also caused his fall in the OHL draft.

Most places are pretty reluctant to report the full details on things when it involves minors. That's why you just see "character concerns" but never get it elaborated on. I mean Sean Day showing up 30 pounds overweight to Hlinka was barely reported on, and it was covered up that he was suspended mid-year in Sauga for leaving the bench mid-game after arguing with the coach and was listed as scratched with injury.

I respect your posts generally but I am wondering about this story. How do you know this stuff? Ho-Sang is well known to be different. He was not a typical teenager and had to held in check while in Niagara on numerous occasions. What is indisputable though is his skill. It was evident for all to see on numerous teams with numerous line-mates. Ho-Sang was traded from Windsor and Windsor then hired Rocky Thomson to turn their team around. Windsor was is transition. Hockey Canada makes strange decisions when it comes to talent. Nurse, Monihan, Domi, Ho-Sang etc. all cut and some not even invited. Connor Brown never got a sniff from them.

We can banter back and forth about Ho Sang but my main point is not to put too much stock in HC's rosters as being an early indicator of a player's likelihood of later success or failure. There are other factors at work evidently.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I respect your posts generally but I am wondering about this story. How do you know this stuff? Ho-Sang is well known to be different. He was not a typical teenager and had to held in check while in Niagara on numerous occasions. What is indisputable though is his skill. It was evident for all to see on numerous teams with numerous line-mates. Ho-Sang was traded from Windsor and Windsor then hired Rocky Thomson to turn their team around. Windsor was is transition. Hockey Canada makes strange decisions when it comes to talent. Nurse, Monihan, Domi, Ho-Sang etc. all cut and some not even invited. Connor Brown never got a sniff from them.

We can banter back and forth about Ho Sang but my main point is not to put too much stock in HC's rosters as being an early indicator of a player's likelihood of later success or failure. There are other factors at work evidently.
Not willing to fully elaborate on how I heard this stuff, but Ho-Sang got blacklisted by Hockey Canada after the U-17's whether it was fair or not. He was ridiculously skilled but managed to **** off a lot of people with his antics.

I hope the kid figures it out, even if it's for a rival team because I never will wish ill on a kid chasing his dream. But, it the case of Ho-Sang, there was a lot of reasons Hockey Canada avoided him. He has the talent to make people look really stupid for passing on him, although thankfully, Leafs landed another kid who fell for character concerns.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Not willing to fully elaborate on how I heard this stuff, but Ho-Sang got blacklisted by Hockey Canada after the U-17's whether it was fair or not. He was ridiculously skilled but managed to **** off a lot of people with his antics.

I hope the kid figures it out, even if it's for a rival team because I never will wish ill on a kid chasing his dream. But, it the case of Ho-Sang, there was a lot of reasons Hockey Canada avoided him. He has the talent to make people look really stupid for passing on him, although thankfully, Leafs landed another kid who fell for character concerns.

Cheers. Thanks for the message. I understand. Josh Ho-Sang will be No.1 on my list of players I watched often from a sheer entertainment perspective. I honestly was amazed at some of the things he tried and got away with on the ice. I wish him well conforming to an NHL lifestyle, becoming a good Pro, and a reliable team-mate on the Island.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
On a side note, I would hope no one on this Leafs board supports Grant McCagg. His unprovoked shots at Leafs fan are unbearable. Especially from a guy who lives through video scouting and barely steps into a rink. Takes a special kind of moron to offend his biggest potential customer base. One thing for people on the main boards to treat us with contempt, but someone trying to sell a scouting product? Such a joke.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's always been a leafs troll. His belief that the Habs farm is better than the Leafs says enough.
Yep, just thought it was worth reminding people and documenting his stupid takes.

I guess you can't burn the hand that feeds you. Gotta suck-up to Timmins as much as possible as that's his only source. How he defends every Habs management decision is hilarious. Also pretty funny that I've looked at the MTL staff listings for the years he claimed to be a scout, and he isn't listed as even being in a part-time role.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
He's got a point about the Matthews thing, he's not 3rd or 4th best right now I would say, but he definitely could be soon.

He is everything all the other fans think about Leafs fans but like 1000x worse. It's not even like simple ignorance or arrogance like some Leafs fans; it is complete arrogance and an obviously cantankerous agenda against anything remotely related to the Leafs.

As for the Habs system, I do not even think a good chunk of their top 20 would crack ours. Who would I consider good from their pool: Jerebek, Reway, Evans, Hawkey, Audette, Lernout, Scherbak, Vejdemo, Juulsen, Addison, Bourque, Bitten, Mete, Ikonen, Poehling, Hudon, Waked, Tyzska, Walford, Fleury, Brook, Primeau, McNiven, Lindgren. 24 prospects. IMO, only 17 would even have a shot at our top 20. Out of that list, if I were to read Leafs' fans minds, I would say Scherbak, Lernout, Juulsen, Mete, Ikonen, Poehling, Hudon, McNiven and Brook would be the only ones who get enough love to almost certainly get into the top 20. One or two (Juulsen and Poehling) may challenge for the top 5, and another 3 or 4 for the top 10 (Scherbak, Ikonen, Mete and Brook), but that's about it. Maybe you get some fans of the rest for the top 20 in there, but I would be surprised to see more than one or two slip into the bottom of the top 20 where you see Greenway, Dzierkals, Joshua and Timashov.

So Leafs are not >>> Habs probably, but they are definitely better, and have are at least >>. The Leafs' pool has at least 35 prospects of the quality I listed for the Habs, and that's after letting 4 pretty good ones go this year. Habs do not even have 25.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
He's got insider info on who the draft targets are for the Habs, but outside of that, he comes off as unprofessional as a scout, not to mention he let's his own preferences and personal objections get in the way of objective reasoning.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's got a point about the Matthews thing, he's not 3rd or 4th best right now I would say, but he definitely could be soon.
It's that he chooses to cherry pick out that opinion from obviously an overzealous Leaf fan then try and display that as us being unreasonable to his followers and use it to bash the fanbase. Obviously catering to his Habs clientele, but being a disrespectful ass in the process.

You could do it to any team if you wanted, but he chooses to do it to Toronto and this is far from an isolated incident. For that alone and his general antics on the mainboards a year ago blaming Leafs fans for attacking his rankings that McKeen's video scouted and barely hit the rink, I will ever support his product.

I know he tried to get someone on this site to do video work for him for free, then when that person got a legitimate offer from a competing company, McCagg flipped out, wrote a childish rant, and then blocked him on twitter before he could respond.

Either way, no need to give it too much attention. I just saw his ridiculous rants, and thought I'd show to the people here on why we shouldn't support him if he's going to just attack our fanbase like that. You don't see any other person like Button or such picking fights like that.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
On a side note, I would hope no one on this Leafs board supports Grant McCagg. His unprovoked shots at Leafs fan are unbearable. Especially from a guy who lives through video scouting and barely steps into a rink. Takes a special kind of moron to offend his biggest potential customer base. One thing for people on the main boards to treat us with contempt, but someone trying to sell a scouting product? Such a joke.

I wish I didn't click on this article, but since I did, I can't resist pointing out the laughable argument he's making. He's essentially saying: If the Habs older forwards have a breakout season and the Leafs younger forwards don't improve, both teams are about even on the wing. I mean, sure, it's possible. Maybe Drouin and Galchenyuk score 70 points next year. You can't discount that possibility -- they have the talent. Maybe Marner and Nylander just had the best seasons they'll ever have (he alludes to that possibility in a latter tweet). But realistically, if the Leafs were to offer their duo for the Habs duo, even the most delusional of Habs fans would be driving their boys to the airport. From both the eye test and on the score sheet, the Leafs are obviously noticeably better on the wings, and I can only assume he ignored the elephant in the room (centers) because he was too embarrassed to be comparing Auston Matthews to Philip Danault. His reaction in general points to (A) insecurity about where the Habs are at, and (B) jealousy about where the Leafs are going. Which is natural. Bergevin has lead the Habs into no man's land while the direction the Leafs are heading is clear: The Weather Network says storms are on the horizon for Leafs haters like Grant.

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I find it fun to compile a summer ranking for the upcoming draft and just see how it evolves during the course of the season. I have not seen a number of these guys play full games, but at this point going on the U18s, OHL games attended, highlights, as well as the insight of what scouts have said so far. Please let me know if there are any glaring omissions, or if you think it is reasonable for a preliminary list.

I would like to see any other lists that other posters have compiled thus far, and who you think would be a great target for us given we will likely be in the 15-25 range.

2018 NHL Draft Prospect Rankings Summer 2017

1) Rasmus Dahlin LHD
2) Andrei Svechnikov LW
3) Joseph Veleno C
4) Brady Tkachuk C/LW
5) Filip Zadina LW
6) Jett Woo RHD
7) Adam Boqvist RHD
8) Jared McIsaac LHD
9) Oliver Wahlstrom C/RW
10) Bode Wilde RHD
11) Jesperi Kotkaniemi C
12) Joel Farabee LW
13) Ryan Merkley RHD (would be higher, but read attitude concerns, which is a huge red flag for me)
14) Ty Smith LHD
15) Quinton Hughes LHD
16) Ryan McLeod C
17) Anderson MacDonald LW
18) Calen Addison RHD
19) Allan McShane C
20) Jake Wise C
21) Alexander Khovanov C
22) Evan Bouchard RHD
23) Akil Thomas C
24) Jack McBain C
25) Mattias Samuelsson LHD
26) Benoit-Olivier Groulx C
27) Isac Lunderstrom C/LW
28) Ty Dellendrea C
29) Xavier Bouchard RHD
30) David Levin C/LW
31) K’Andre Miller LHD

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think you will see David Levin drop a lot. He has a ton of talent as a 1st overall pick in the OHL, but he's the oldest guy in the draft and was far from impressive so far in his OHL career.

I think he could drop to the late 2nd or 3rd round.

Last edited:

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
A player that I think could rise up the rankings, especially if he grows a little bit (currently 5'8) is Aidan Dudas, C for Owen Sound. Besides in the OHL this season where he looked decent, I saw him play a little bit when he was in Bantam and Midget and he was unreal. I think he is in the Hlinka Tourney, so I am curious as to how he does.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Weird to see a pro scout seem to let fandom come before rational analysis, especially Ina public forum like twitter.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
This really is a strong draft. Some real nice names throughout that mock posted above right through to K'Andre Miller at the 31st pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad