Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Next year (2018) I would prefer if we draft a "C" in the 1st round

Brady is just a dream (as he is not going to last very long) but some one like McLeod, Olofsson, Thomas or Wise (it's a long way to go and things can change in a hurry)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Everything I've seen and read about Woo and Bouchard makes them pretty interesting
But I'd definitely be interested to see how Thomas and Grouix go this season

I'm not even going to start dreaming about the likes of Tkachuk and Veleno
Evan or Xavier? Both are worth following.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Evan or Xavier? Both are worth following.

Evan
Out of the defensman I'm going to learn as much as I can about Bouchard and Woo early and adjust as the Leafs season wears on and we get an idea about where were going to draft and we start to get a better idea of where players may end up going in the draft

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Evan
Out of the defensman I'm going to learn as much as I can about Bouchard and Woo early and adjust as the Leafs season wears on and we get an idea about where were going to draft and we start to get a better idea of where players may end up going in the draft
I think Xavier mUight be better. I'm currently going through the 2017 U-18 WJC for Liljegren games but also going to go through checking on 2018 guys I want to see. Most notably with Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes and the team Canada guys (Woo, Smith, McIssac, Thomas, and Delleandrea).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I think Xavier mUight be better. I'm currently going through the 2017 U-18 WJC for Liljegren games but also going to go through checking on 2018 guys I want to see. Most notably with Svechnikov, Zadina, Tkachuk, Wahlstrom, Hughes and the team Canada guys (Woo, Smith, McIssac, Thomas, and Delleandrea).

I thought Evan was more highly touted than Xavier?
I've seen a lot more information on Evan and even a guy like Woo than I have about Xavier
Or does that have more to do with where each of those guys is playing?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I thought Evan was more highly touted than Xavier?
I've seen a lot more information on Evan and even a guy like Woo than I have about Xavier
Or does that have more to do with where each of those guys is playing?
Evan is a late birthday on a way better team. That will get you a lot more attention.

I know HockeyProspect holds Xavier in higher regard and I'd trust those guys over almost any other source out there right now when it comes to QMJHL and OHL prospects.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Evan is a late birthday on a way better team. That will get you a lot more attention.

I know HockeyProspect holds Xavier in higher regard and I'd trust those guys over almost any other source out there right now when it comes to QMJHL and OHL prospects.

Are they both going to make the Canadian U18 team?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Are they both going to make the Canadian U18 team?
No, Evan is too old (October 1999 birthday). Not sure if Xavier will make the Hlinka team, he should but Canada is insanely deep this year with Ty Smith, Woo, McIssac, Merkley, Addison, and Vallatti. The first 3 are absolute locks after making the U-18 team this year.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No, Evan is too old (October 1999 birthday). Not sure if Xavier will make the Hlinka team, he should but Canada is insanely deep this year with Ty Smith, Woo, McIssac, Merkley, Addison, and Vallatti. The first 3 are absolute locks after making the U-18 team this year.

Where would you slot guys like Woo Smith and McIssac if your were looking at next years draft?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
They are all lottery guys at the moment. We'll see if it holds. Somewhere between 5 and 14 for all.

Looks like a really strong draft
Especially for defenseman

If there was a year to hang onto your picks and try to add a few this looks like the draft to do it

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Most likely we will add picks this year.

I think JVR is gone and one other vet may be close. Lou will want more picks in a stronger draft as he knows we will need them when all our young guys lineup for big raises. In 2019 seems we may start going for it and trading picks for a strong run into the playoffs.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Really like Tychonick from out west. Watched him play minor hockey in alberta and was able to see a bit of him in Penticton last year. Averaged sized defensemen with high end skating ability and puck skills. At the same age I think he's similar calibre prospect to Fabbro. Will be interesting to keep an eye on imo.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I think JVR is gone and one other vet may be close. Lou will want more picks in a stronger draft as he knows we will need them when all our young guys lineup for big raises. In 2019 seems we may start going for it and trading picks for a strong run into the playoffs.

Agreed. As much as we all want to parlay JVR into a top 4 dman, I can see us moving him for a 1st and prospect at the deadline, if not before.

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
For such a strong draft, I have trouble seeing Tkachuk ranked at 4th overall. His play at the U-18s didn't seem to have a dynamic quality to it and left me wanting more. He was centered by Josh Norris and imo was the complimentary player on that line. Granted, it was his D-1 year and I'm not sure how to adjust expectations. Although he was only a few hours away from being eligible for this past draft

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
yep, working now

Veleno feels low, and thought McShane would be higher

I know Merkley isn't going to scout as high until he either blisters some paint with his production or becomes a little more rounded, but I'm still surprised that he's in the 20's
I'd trust these guys on CHL guys. Veleno simply didn't take steps forward and is partially living on prior hype.

Merkley has headcase rumors around him (already dropped Newport and other agents aren't in a rush to pick him up) and his defensive game is a mess.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'd trust these guys on CHL guys. Veleno simply didn't take steps forward and is partially living on prior hype.

Merkley has headcase rumors around him (already dropped Newport and other agents aren't in a rush to pick him up) and his defensive game is a mess.

I'm sure there's reasons for all, and I know they have a good reputation. Veleno I thought would live on the hype a while longer then start to drop part way into this season if he didn't start producing sort of like Comtois last year. I guess his playoffs weren't great

Hadn't heard that about Merkley....the highlight reels though....

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm sure there's reasons for all, and I know they have a good reputation. Veleno I thought would live on the hype a while longer then start to drop part way into this season if he didn't start producing sort of like Comtois last year. I guess his playoffs weren't great

Hadn't heard that about Merkley....the highlight reels though....
He stagnated and didn't really take that step forward. I do remember they were among the very early ones to drop Sean Day, not even giving him an HM in their first list for 2016 in the 2015 Black Book. He could easily make them regret it and take a big step forward but other guys have shown more so far.

No one really touches that stuff unless they do think that are blatantly obvious like DeAngelo (got suspended for slurs), Ho-Sang (got dumped by Windsor and was a loud mouth in the media, while also being ignored by Hockey Canada) or Day (showing up to Hlinka 30 pounds overweight), we'll see how his stock holds. It won't shock me if by the time of the draft we start hearing those concerns like we did with Shinkaruk and McCann which are inferred but never really elaborated on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad