Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Merkley has headcase rumors around him (already dropped Newport and other agents aren't in a rush to pick him up) and his defensive game is a mess.

I was going to say, Merkley is surprisingly low. I don't really key in on defense too much for the most part in a prospects D-1 year but from a pure skills/talent standpoint, I like Merkley a lot more than Woo and Ty Smith- and the latter is in the top 5.

It's early- I liked Vesalainen and Tolvanen in the pre-season last year enough to have them in my top 10 and they dropped well out of the lottery by the time the draft rolled around.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was going to say, Merkley is surprisingly low. I don't really key in on defense too much for the most part in a prospects D-1 year but from a pure skills/talent standpoint, I like Merkley a lot more than Woo and Ty Smith- and the latter is in the top 5.

It's early- I liked Vesalainen and Tolvanen in the pre-season last year enough to have them in my top 10 and they dropped well out of the lottery by the time the draft rolled around.
I think it is telling Hockey Canada chose 3 other U-18 defenders over Merkley.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

For sure, but I'm cautiously optimistic as I heard similar issues with Nylander in his draft year and clearly, they were a bit overblown.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
For sure, but I'm cautiously optimistic as I heard similar issues with Nylander in his draft year and clearly, they were a bit overblown.
Nylander seemed more driven by what his dad was doing and bouncing him around through multiple teams, and the wrap got put on him. None of that really carried over to Alex in the OHL. I also think Willy's status was hurt by getting cut for the WJC team. Either way, it will be interesting to see how things look after Hlinka. As that tournament in recent years has started the upward trajectory for some (Bennett, Marner, D. Strome) and being cut from Canada's team has been the noticeable start of a downfall for others (Day and Ho-Sang). Canada's D is going to be stacked this year, and it will be interesting to see if Sweden brings Dahlin who will also be at the WJC showcase. As always, America won't be bringing a strong team.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Again, I wouldn't mind Merkley on the Leafs. Offensive talent but clearly needs to be seasoned defensively. Babcock is perfect for him. Hard to see a better fit than the Leafs given play style and system as well.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Again, I wouldn't mind Merkley on the Leafs. Offensive talent but clearly needs to be seasoned defensively. Babcock is perfect for him. Hard to see a better fit than the Leafs given play style and system as well.

I don't think our scouting staff, or Babcock for that matter, would share the sentiment of Merkley fitting into the leafs "playing style". At this point in time, he's everything that coaches at the next level try to tell players not to play like. Tries to be way too cute all the time. People that watch the OHL closely have said that they question his hockey sense, saying he will always try and make some impossible play when there are many other better and safer options available to him. I think he has a real possibility of falling out of the 1st.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think our scouting staff, or Babcock for that matter, would share the sentiment of Merkley fitting into the leafs "playing style". At this point in time, he's everything that coaches at the next level try to tell players not to play like. Tries to be way too cute all the time. People that watch the OHL closely have said that they question his hockey sense, saying he will always try and make some impossible play when there are many other better and safer options available to him. I think he has a real possibility of falling out of the 1st.

By playing style, I meant the speed and skill game. He fits that. He will definitely need at least 2 years post draft before making the NHL.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

what do you think happens if Guelph comes out as a better team this year to mask Merkley's D game, and he goes off for like Ryan Ellis type numbers? I really see a Makar-like rise being possible for him even if there's question marks, someone falls in love with the upside and the hockey media will love him so I think he'll end up way up a lot of the clickbait lists

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
what do you think happens if Guelph comes out as a better team this year to mask Merkley's D game, and he goes off for like Ryan Ellis type numbers? I really see a Makar-like rise being possible for him even if there's question marks, someone falls in love with the upside and the hockey media will love him so I think he'll end up way up a lot of the clickbait lists
I highly doubt he puts up ridiculous offensive numbers with his team's offensive core and the style George Burnett prefers. Ellis had Taylor Hall, Niemz and Henrique to get the puck too. The system he was playing in, wasn't as defensively ridged either as what Burnett is likely to employ.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
We have SJ's 2nd & 3rd round picks next year.

I'll be rooting for them to miss the playoffs (even though I like a lot of their players, like Burns, Thornton, and Vlasic) - the 40th and 71st picks would be a lot more valuable than the 55th & 86th picks.

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
time to send the mono soaked gift blankets to the merkley residence

If this is a South Park reference then well played...

----------

MyNHLMock has the Leafs picking 25th in 2018 draft with the only teams lower are Tampa, Washington and Pittsburgh. So they are picking the Leafs to finish 2nd in the division behind Tampa.

Means zip but thought i would pass the link along.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
If this is a South Park reference then well played...

----------

MyNHLMock has the Leafs picking 25th in 2018 draft with the only teams lower are Tampa, Washington and Pittsburgh. So they are picking the Leafs to finish 2nd in the division behind Tampa.

Means zip but thought i would pass the link along.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

I would be a happy camper if we picked up Addison at #25. Undersized, but real strong/stocky. Kid is an absolute competitor all over the ice, especially in the d zone, and happens to be one of the most explosive skating dmen I've seen come into the WHL in a long time. Hyped him up enough already in this thread but will likely keep throwing his name out there for all you draft junkies for next year. Keep your eye on this kid.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
We could really use some C prospects.

Our prospect pool is solid on the wing, D, and in goal. Center, no so much.

There should be plenty of centres in our range Khovanov, Kotkaniemi, Wise, Groulx, Dellandrea, and who the hell knows if Veleno, Thomas, or McShane will fall to us.

If you need centres, this is the draft.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
There should be plenty of centres in our range Khovanov, Kotkaniemi, Wise, Groulx, Dellandrea, and who the hell knows if Veleno, Thomas, or McShane will fall to us.

I actually think this draft is really weak center wise (more a the top). The guy I'm most curious in would be McBain. Some of the guys you listed may be wingers, most notably Akil Thomas who played there most of the year with Niagra.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
So, who is ole Mikeyg gonna be right about this year? Quick, someone tell me a d man in the 3-6 range that will NEVER drop to the teens :P I dare ya.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I actually think this draft is really weak center wise (more a the top). The guy I'm most curious in would be McBain. Some of the guys you listed may be wingers, most notably Akil Thomas who played there most of the year with Niagra.

Agreed, looking like a good draft for D (throughout), and wingers (on the high-end).

C's are seemingly becoming such a high-end commodity in today's NHL market....teams could reach to acquire them.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario

I agree, THP didnt have a single centre ranked in their top 10. I assume the Leafs will finish somewhere in the 20-31 range and there are a few littered in that area.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Nylander seemed more driven by what his dad was doing and bouncing him around through multiple teams, and the wrap got put on him. None of that really carried over to Alex in the OHL. I also think Willy's status was hurt by getting cut for the WJC team. Either way, it will be interesting to see how things look after Hlinka. As that tournament in recent years has started the upward trajectory for some (Bennett, Marner, D. Strome) and being cut from Canada's team has been the noticeable start of a downfall for others (Day and Ho-Sang). Canada's D is going to be stacked this year, and it will be interesting to see if Sweden brings Dahlin who will also be at the WJC showcase. As always, America won't be bringing a strong team.

Hockey Canada's roster picks should be taken with a massive grain of salt as a determining influence on draft positioning. So many instances of NHL calibre players(prospects) being cut b/c of particular coaching biases. Ho Sang was one of many. Had to listen to HF posters in-the-know laugh him off as a player you can't win with. Such Nylander-like biases.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009

What about McLeod and McBain?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hockey Canada's roster picks should be taken with a massive grain of salt as a determining influence on draft positioning. So many instances of NHL calibre players(prospects) being cut b/c of particular coaching biases. Ho Sang was one of many. Had to listen to HF posters in-the-know laugh him off as a player you can't win with. Such Nylander-like biases.
Ho-Sang was dumped by Windsor and ignored by Hockey Canada for good reasons. The kid was an ******* at the U-17's and was trying to cause problems with McDavid that dated back to the GTHL due to Ho-Sang's jealousy of being overshadowed in his OHL draft year. After that, Hockey Canada wanted nothing to do with him.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Ho-Sang was dumped by Windsor and ignored by Hockey Canada for good reasons. The kid was an ******* at the U-17's and was trying to cause problems with McDavid that dated back to the GTHL due to Ho-Sang's jealousy of being overshadowed in his OHL draft year. After that, Hockey Canada wanted nothing to do with him.

What are you referring to here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad