Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Just finished an interactive mock as the Leafs on the mock draft board. How did I do?

Picks:
RoundPickPlayerPositionTeam
235Rasmus SandinLHDSault Ste. Marie (OHL)
253Bulat ShafigullinLWNizhnekamsk (KHL)
366Nathan DunkleyCLondon (OHL)
384Vladislav KotkovRWChicoutimi (QMJHL)
4119Yegor SharangovichCMinsk (KHL)
4120Caleb EverettRHDSaginaw (OHL)
5145Pavel GogolevRWPeterborough (OHL)
7203Owen LalondeRHDGuelph (OHL)
7206Nikolai KovalenkoRWYaroslavl (MHL)
7213Billy MoskalCLondon (OHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Nice job.
In particular I love your 4th round, Moskal in the 7th and Dunkley @ 66. I really like the idea of trading back but I think that 66 for 10 spots is letting them off pretty light.

Took a look at the full mock and I'd definitely do the top 60 differently though. @ 35 would be between Samuelsson, Hallander, Wise. @ 53 I'd cartwheel to the podium to take Wise, he's a 1st round talent

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nice job.
In particular I love your 4th round, Moskal in the 7th and Dunkley @ 66. I really like the idea of trading back but I think that 66 for 10 spots is letting them off pretty light.

Took a look at the full mock and I'd definitely do the top 60 differently though. @ 35 would be between Samuelsson, Hallander, Wise. @ 53 I'd cartwheel to the podium to take Wise, he's a 1st round talent

I'd take Sandin probably at 35. That's a good spot for him. Wise at 53 easily. Dunkley in the 3rd is pretty good. Sharangovich and Everett in the 4th is pretty good. I'd have to see who else is around but I would consider others over Kotkov, likely a defenseman. Gogolev in the 5th is okay, but once again I'd see who else is around. Good with the 7th rounders, although would need due-diligence on Lalonde. He has baggage after demanding out of Sudbury, but it is a poorly run club so I can see why he would want out. Also have to question whether his skills will really match up despite being a 2nd overall OHL pick.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Jake Wise is rising again. If he's still around by the time we pick in the second I'd take him easily. Hell if management for whatever reason trades back )seriously hope not) I'd take him late first early second.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Nice job.

Agree with this, Wise at 53 is a steal. Would also go with Samuelsson at 35, didn't look at the mock though.

Dunkley, Yegor, Moskal are nice picks in those slots.

Just judging on where they are slotted

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
I'd take Sandin probably at 35. That's a good spot for him. Wise at 53 easily. Dunkley in the 3rd is pretty good. Sharangovich and Everett in the 4th is pretty good. I'd have to see who else is around but I would consider others over Kotkov, likely a defenseman. Gogolev in the 5th is okay, but once again I'd see who else is around. Good with the 7th rounders, although would need due-diligence on Lalonde. He has baggage after demanding out of Sudbury, but it is a poorly run club so I can see why he would want out. Also have to question whether his skills will really match up despite being a 2nd overall OHL pick.
I was 50/50 on Sandin/Samuelsson, would've been fine either way. I see that Wise would've been an excellent pick at 53, but I think Shafigullin was an underrated pick. He is destroying the MHL.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I was 50/50 on Sandin/Samuelsson, would've been fine either way. I see that Wise would've been an excellent pick at 53, but I think Shafigullin was an underrated pick. He is destroying the MHL.

What makes Samuelsson so good... At least in comparison to Greenway who had similar type production in his draft year + is about the same size.

horner

May 22, 2007
Agree with this, Wise at 53 is a steal. Would also go with Samuelsson at 35, didn't look at the mock though.

Dunkley, Yegor, Moskal are nice picks in those slots.

Just judging on where they are slotted
I would take Dellandrea C at 35.
We really need to build up our center prospect depth.
Would be ecstatic with

Dellandrea
Dunkley
Moskal

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Not exactly related to this year's draft but the USNTDP (US National Team Development Program) being so successful this year in the USHL while being full of kids a year younger than their competition bodes well for the upcoming year's draft. Jack Hughes looks freaking fantastic.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What makes Samuelsson so good... At least in comparison to Greenway who had similar type production in his draft year + is about the same size.
He has high-end smarts and can read the play extremely well. He looks to be a top 4 shut-down guy who could easily compliment Liljegren. Greenway was a pure project who didn't excel at anything outside of having good raw tools.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
He has high-end smarts and can read the play extremely well. He looks to be a top 4 shut-down guy who could easily compliment Liljegren. Greenway was a pure project who didn't excel at anything outside of having good raw tools.

Sounds like his upside is a Chris Tanev type defenceman and his floor is likely an AHL defenceman.

I've seen too many "shut down" guys get drafted and turn into nothing.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I would take Dellandrea C at 35.
We really need to build up our center prospect depth.
Would be ecstatic with

Dellandrea
Dunkley
Moskal
agree with that - add some depth at Center, then swing for the fences as often as possible at other positions. It's going to be forever until all of Korshkov/Grundstrom/Brooks/Bracco/etc get a real look even if they're all deserving of one, if we could add a star forward at the expense of a higher draft success rate that would make us hard to deal with. Bracco's probably the only guy left who isn't on the roster with any star power

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sounds like his upside is a Chris Tanev type defenceman and his floor is likely an AHL defenceman.

I've seen every type of player drafted in the 20's turn into nothing. His upside is Ekholm. The chance of a player drafted in the 25-31 range becoming a core piece of value is like 35 percent.

His production is fine considering how the USNTDP use him. He's not a guy you draft in the top 10 anymore (which he may have gone in previous years) but in the late 20's he's a good pick.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I've seen every type of player drafted in the 20's turn into nothing. His upside is Ekholm. The chance of a player drafted in the 25-31 range becoming a core piece of value is like 35 percent.

His production is fine considering how the USNTDP use him. He's not a guy you draft in the top 10 anymore (which he may have gone in previous years) but in the late 20's he's a good pick.

What do you think of Miller?

I've seen some interesting stuff in his thread, there seems to be a feeling that he's got great tools, he's playing strong defensively beside a lot of offense first partners and thats one of the reasons he's not piling on the points but the offensive upside is there

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What do you think of Miller?

I've seen some interesting stuff in his thread, there seems to be a feeling that he's got great tools, he's playing strong defensively beside a lot of offense first partners and thats one of the reasons he's not piling on the points but the offensive upside is there
The reason he's not putting up points is because the USNTDP coach is lost in how he's allocating PP time. Emberson and Adam Samuelson should never be playing over Miller on the PP, but they constantly do.

I like Miller. Higher-risk but higher-upside than Samuelson. Great tools, and good gap control. But, he can get caught puck watching a bit, which is common for young defenders, especially ones who didn't play D til they were 15. If both Samuelsson and Miller are on the board I can see the argument for either and would be happy with either. Unless we are passing on a player that I currently don't expect to fall to us (like the two Russians).

Reactions: Kiwi leafs fan

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

I think the hope is he's more like an Ekholm. I'm not currently on the bandwagon but hopefully he plays well at the next tournament (U18?). Looking back since 2005 these are the best defensive defenseman taken in the first rounds.

(Note: I wasn't sure what criteria to use to sort DD from OD and Two-way D, so I did the best I could).

Jack Johnson
Marc Staal
Matt Niskanen
Karl Alzner
Ryan MacDonough (he's more of a two-way defenseman but I included him to be fair)
Zach Bogosian
Luke Schenn
Calvin de Haan
Jared Cowen
Erik Gudbranson
Mark Pysyk
Adam Larsson
Jonas Brodin
Ryan Murray
Olli Maata
Brady Skjei (more of a two-way guy I guess)
Aaron Ekblad
Noah Hanafin
Jacob Larsson

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I'm starting to lean towards Wise or Dellandrea at our pick, but if Kravtsov or Denisenko fall then things change obviously. Bode Wilde seems to be in range to trade up for, and although he has flaws (Hockey sense), his tools are quite attractive as a big right D with wheels and a bomb from the point.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
To Detroit:
25th OA

To TOR:
OTT 2nd
DET 2nd

OTT 2nd: C - Jack McBain
DET 2nd: C/LW - Jakub Lauko
SJS 2nd: RD - Nils Lundkvist
SJS 3rd: C - Dmitri Zavgorodnyi
STL 4th: RD - Vladislav Syomin (OA)
TOR 5th: G - Joel Hofer
ANA 7th: C Austin Wong
TOR 7th: RW Justin Brazeau OA

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
To Detroit:
25th OA

To TOR:
OTT 2nd
DET 2nd

OTT 2nd: C - Jack McBain
DET 2nd: C/LW - Jakub Lauko
SJS 2nd: RD - Nils Lundkvist
SJS 3rd: C - Dmitri Zavgorodnyi
STL 4th: RD - Vladislav Syomin (OA)
TOR 5th: G - Joel Hofer
ANA 7th: C Austin Wong
TOR 7th: RW Justin Brazeau OA
I've accepted the fact that Lundqvist won't be there for our second rounder unfortunately. I wouldn't hate reaching for him in the 1st, he's rising fast it seems.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
As someone who has watched Sandin live a couple of times this season, I do not want him. Both times I've watched him, his game has been very mellow. He's a very steady player with good skating and decent offensive instincts but for someone who isn't spectacular defensively and with his size, I'm not sure how much of an impact he's going to have in the NHL. Maybe he's just trying to hold his own in the OHL as a newcomer but for a guy who has a high PPG, he didn't really look like one. If he makes the NHL I can see max upside as a #4D, but will most likely be a bottom pairing guy.

In the two games that I watched SSM the three biggest standouts were Hayton, Katchouk and their top pairing shutdown D Noah Carroll. Unshockingly Katchouk is a tampa prospect and Carroll is a Canes prospect...:skeptic:. Hayton was very good. He seemed to be every where and always engaged in the play at both ends of the ice. I think his upside is probably as a 3C (best case 2C) but he seemed like a very solid player. I wouldn't mind taking him with our pick but I doubt he will make it that far.

SSM players are collecting points like it's candy. I think it's easy to get caught up in that kind of stuff.

Last edited:

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Best center or dman available. I would avoid wingers unless a can’t pass prospect falls into our laps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad