Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Bourne also wrote an article about what to expect from Dubas and the Leafs at the draft. It's pretty good and Bourne is someone that worked with Dubas. Main bullet points from Bourne:

No forwards without a proven offensive track record
The Keaton Middleton era is over
No drafting for depth
They won’t draft for positional need
Goalies are not going to be a priority in draft
No dummies (smarts over skill and skillset)

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bourne also wrote an article about what to expect from Dubas and the Leafs at the draft. It's pretty good and Bournce is someone that worked with Dubas. Main bullet points from Bourne:

No forwards without a proven offensive track record
The Keaton Middleton era is over
No drafting for depth
They won’t draft for positional need
Goalies are not going to be a priority in draft
No dummies (smarts over skill and skillset)
I wonder what the first point means for someone like Denisenko.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He put up good numbers in the MHL and internationally. I think it's more about overlooking a prospect like DeBrincat (the player he used as an example).
Internationally he was great, but only at lower tiered events (due to politics keeping him off the u-18s). MHL numbers are average.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Internationally he was great, but only at lower tiered events (due to politics keeping him off the u-18s). MHL numbers are average.

MHL numbers are pretty good for his age. Pretty sure he's among the better producing draft eligible forwards there... no? I haven't checked though.

Either way, I think the idea is that high end production in their respective leagues won't be overlooked --- this is what Bourne meant.

Last edited:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Any smaller players (not looking at position) who might drop to us at 25?
Ty Smith is way too highly regarded to drop all the way to 25 right?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
The idea that 25+52 could net us two of Lundestrom/Thomas/Berggren/Wise/Hallander/Wilde/Miller/Lundqvist/Bernard-Docker/Johansson has me super happy

Being this late in the draft certainly makes things more exciting. Less about "X or Y player is definitely the BPA". There's such a huge range of players.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
MHL numbers are pretty good for his age. Pretty sure he's among the better producing draft eligible forwards there... no? I haven't checked though.

Either way, I think the idea is that high end production in their respective leagues won't be overlooked --- this is what Bourne meant.

I really don't know much about him, but he had 22 points in 31 games in the MHL. Meanwhile, Shafigullin scored at about 2 times the rate and is projected to go 2nd round, and there are a handful of other draft eligible players (Rozhkov, Iskhakov, etc) that are expected to go mid to late rounds that scored at a higher rate. Taking Denisenko in the first round seems like a bad idea

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I really don't know much about him, but he had 22 points in 31 games in the MHL. Meanwhile, Shafigullin scored at about 2 times the rate and is projected to go 2nd round, and there are a handful of other draft eligible players (Rozhkov, Iskhakov, etc) that are expected to go mid to late rounds that scored at a higher rate. Taking Denisenko in the first round seems like a bad idea

He's a big time riser. Could very well go top 40.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
McLeod a #22 was slightly surprising, I'm not super high on him personally
Not too big a shock. Great skating and has size. Always someone who will be valued in the draft. And as you know, I’m not a big fan of the McLeod brothers.

HC7

May 2, 2018
I can almost guarantee that if Dellandrea is on the board at 25 he's our guy.

Like Miller too, he has potential. He's going to be what Hunter was hoping those big goon D-Men would become.

Still want Merkley though, he's 50/50 but if you get the right 50 he's so insanely good. If Dellandrea is on the board at 25, pick him and make a trade to get Merkley the same way NYI moved up to get Barzal and Ho-Sang.

gregreg

Jun 10, 2009
Wise at 52 would be unreal. I'd be happy with him at 25... probably isn't too far off from guys like Farabee and even Wahlstrom to be honest.
I'm super big on Wise and if we some how got him at 52 I would be jumping up and down with excitement

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Based on Bob Mackenzie's Rankings:

Pick 1st Choice2nd Choice3rd ChoiceHonourable Mentions
TOR 1st (25)Calen AddisonJonatan BerggrenAkil ThomasRyan Merkley, Rasmus Sandin, Nils Lundquist, Alexander Alexeyev
SJ 2nd (52)Filip HallanderJake WiseAllan McShaneNiklas Nordgren
SJ 3rd (83)Blade JenkinsLinus Karlsson Philipp KurashevMarcus Westfalt
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Garlando

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not too big a shock. Great skating and has size. Always someone who will be valued in the draft. And as you know, I’m not a big fan of the McLeod brothers.

Going off the black book I can't say I'm a huge fan either

Size skating and skill is a great package but unless your willing to use those tools I don't know what good they are?

He also sounds like he's a winger as well and the soft, big wide turns and no compete, sticks to the outside thing doesn't help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad