Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Jack Wise is creeping up in my favourites. Injured for a big part of the season but clearly top 10 in terms of skill level. A little like Timmy Liljegren in that aspect.

I overlooked him in my favourites in this draft but the more I read about him the more my eyes get opened. Fantastic hands and a darn good shot. He also works hard and he has a really good 2-way game. Apparently his skating is just solid, which is not ideal for a 5'10" player. I haven't seen him much outside of one or two international games, so I can't judge him too harshly.

Reactions: emilepep

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So the more I look at making my own mock draft for my personal reasons, the more I truely believe nobody will end up with Ty Smith in the top-15.

Him and Kravtsov are the only guys I'd be willing to trade up quite a bit for.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So the more I look at making my own mock draft for my personal reasons, the more I truely believe nobody will end up with Ty Smith in the top-15.

Unless we unload someone for another 2nd or trade a future first, I don't see how we have the draft capital to move past 20.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

I'd move up for either player as well. I fully expect them to go top 15-17 though and it will cost a lot to move up that much.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Unless we unload someone for another 2nd or trade a future first, I don't see how we have the draft capital to move past 20.

IMO we have quite a few expendable pieces if Dubas is willing to already alienate the uneducated part of the fanbase. Time to cut bait with the Connor Brown/Nikita Zaitsev types before their value completely implodes.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'd move up for either player as well. I fully expect them to go top 15-17 though and it will cost a lot to move up that much.

I agree. The thing is it has to be a perfect situation for me to want to move up.

As in, one of these guys are dropping past 15, and that team has a significant interest in a Connor Brown type + 25.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I agree. The thing is it has to be a perfect situation for me to want to move up.

As in, one of these guys are dropping past 15, and that team has a significant interest in a Connor Brown type + 25.

Brown wouldn't be traded in a trade up scenario. He's far more valuable to us than that.

Moving up that much in a draft is rarely ever done and it's not very good asset management. I don't think they are THAT good of prospects.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Brown wouldn't be traded in a trade up scenario. He's far more valuable to us than that.

Moving up that much in a draft is rarely ever done and it's not very good asset management. I don't think they are THAT good of prospects.

I have Smith ranked at 3, and Kravtsov ranked at 8. In my opinion, they're very good prospects and well worth 25 + Connor Brown.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have Smith ranked at 3, and Kravtsov ranked at 8. In my opinion, they're very good prospects.

I understand but a very good and cost effective player like Brown won't be used to move up. I don't think the Leafs would be interested in trading Brown in this kind of scenario either. The goal isn't to rebuild, it's to get better. Smith and Kravtsov are good but not likely NHL contributors for at least 2-3 seasons.

I don't have Smith at #3 and I don't see anyone else having him that high. I don't think he's better than Hughes, Dobson, and the forwards ranked high. I do think he's quality though and plenty of upside is there.

Last edited:

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I understand but a very good and cost effective player like Brown won't be used to move up. I don't think the Leafs would be interested in trading Brown in this kind of scenario either. The goal isn't to rebuild, it's to get better. Smith and Kravtsov are good but not likely NHL contributors for at least 2-3 seasons.

I don't have Smith at #3 and I don't see anyone else having him that high. I don't think he's better than Hughes, Dobson, and the forwards ranked high.

That's why he's the perfect piece. Other than Marner/Nylander who will sign big contracts, and Marleau who did sign a big contract. The rest of our wingers are completely cost controlled. Especially the ones who are already better than Brown (Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman) that need top-9 minutes more than him. After that we have guys like Grundstrom, Korshkov, Aaltonen, Bracco, Engvall who will easily be able to be able to pick up where Brown has left off.

Everyone has their opinion. I have Hughes/Smith basically tied at 3, but Smith's better defense has me sold going forward. Both are elite offensive talents, skate like the wind, and have more IQ than anyone not named Dahlin. I'm not overly high on Dobson/Bouchard/Zadina, but I still have 2/3 of them in the top-10.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's why he's the perfect piece. Other than Marner/Nylander who will sign big contracts, and Marleau who did sign a big contract. The rest of our wingers are completely cost controlled. Especially the ones who are already better than Brown (Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman). After that we have guys like Grundstrom, Korshkov, Aaltonen, Bracco, Engvall who will easily be able to be able to pick up where Brown has left off.

Everyone has their opinion. I have Hughes/Smith basically tied at 3, but Smith's better defense has me sold going forward. Both are elite offensive talents, skate like the wind, and have more IQ than anyone not named Dahlin. I'm not overly high on Dobson/Bouchard/Zadina, but I still have 2/3 of them in the top-10.

No the perfect way to shift cap and quality is to trade him in a way that will fit a better need. His cap hit fits exactly what you need in a secondary player and when you do have to move him, you do it at the right time, not before. You listed a lot of prospects that probably won't pan out the way you think. With 3 veterans leaving this team, a player like Brown becomes even more valuable for depth and stability. You completely overlook his skillset and what he brings.

Picking up a prospect isn't helping us anytime soon, even if he's rated high. None of them will have an instant impact like Dahlin. Not to make this a trade thread and you can have your opinion about it, I'm just stating a realistic view.

Last edited:

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
The more I read the more I believe the Leafs take a chance on a high-upside centre. Wise, O'Brian etc would be great to have in our pool.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No the perfect way to shift cap and quality is to trade him in a way that will fit a better need. His cap hit fits exactly what you need in a secondary player and when you do have to move him, you do it at the right time, not before. You listed a lot of prospects that probably won't pan out the way you think. With 3 veterans leaving this team, a player like Brown becomes even more valuable for depth and stability. You completely overlook his skillset and what he brings.

Picking up a prospect isn't helping us anytime soon, even if he's rated high. None of them will have an instant impact like Dahlin. Not to make this a trade thread and you can have your opinion about it, I'm just stating a realistic view.

Again I'm going to disagree. I see Connor Brown as a declining asset at this point, and whether we're getting a piece that can help in 2018-19, two years from now, or three years from now I believe today is the day to trade him. He should be behind 6 wingers on the depth chart, meaning that his role as of today is a 4th line player. That's assuming we don't find someone better in FA or Trade as well. In this role as we saw last season, he completely stagnated and looking a lot less effective than his rookie season when he moved into the top-9. Trade him while people still believe he can be the player he was in his rookie year.

For me it doesn't matter whether or not the prospect helps us tomorrow, it matters that we're using assets to their maximum value and not keeping them due to them being a vet presence or a fan favourite. If a guy like Ty Smith falls into a range where all it takes is Brown + 25 to get him, I don't hesistate.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
0% chance we draft woo or Merkley. Listen to mikeyg here. Go learn about other players ranked 15 to 35.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Again I'm going to disagree. I see Connor Brown as a declining asset at this point, and whether we're getting a piece that can help in 2018-19, two years from now, or three years from now I believe today is the day to trade him. He should be behind 6 wingers on the depth chart, meaning that his role as of today is a 4th line player. That's assuming we don't find someone better in FA or Trade as well. In this role as we saw last season, he completely stagnated and looking a lot less effective than his rookie season when he moved into the top-9. Trade him while people still believe he can be the player he was in his rookie year.

For me it doesn't matter whether or not the prospect helps us tomorrow, it matters that we're using assets to their maximum value and not keeping them due to them being a vet presence or a fan favourite. If a guy like Ty Smith falls into a range where all it takes is Brown + 25 to get him, I don't hesistate.
I don't agree with any of this. Brown seems to be the kind of guy who has proved people wrong at every level. I think he'll continue to get better. Similar to Marchand but obviously not as good.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I don't agree with any of this. Brown seems to be the kind of guy who has proved people wrong at every level. I think he'll continue to get better. Similar to Marchand but obviously not as good.

Brown's underlying stats are poo when he's not ridiculously sheltered. His points completely disappear when he's not beside Matthews, and he's not nearly as good defensively as Babcock would like you to know.

He's good on the PK though, but so is Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, etc.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Brown's underlying stats are poo when he's not ridiculously sheltered. His points completely disappear when he's not beside Matthews, and he's not nearly as good defensively as Babcock would like you to know.

He's good on the PK though, but so is Kapanen, Johnsson, Hyman, etc.
Using stats from a rookie and sophomore season for a guy drafted in the 6th round. He should be sheltered. We need to be patient with guys like this.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Using stats from a rookie and sophomore season for a guy drafted in the 6th round. He should be sheltered. We need to be patient with guys like this.

war-basic-chart.png

I'm not convinced he's going to get much better. Love the guy, but meh.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Man, Arizona is gonna get Filip Zadina at 5 unless someone moves up. My team 5 mock draft currently looks like;

BUF - Dahlin
CAR - Svechnikov
MTL - Kotkaniemi
OTT - Hughes/Dobson/Boqvist/Bouchard
ARI - Zadina

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
25. Jonatan Berggren (W)
52. Jakub Skarek (G)
83. Ruslan Iskhakov (W)
118. Semyon Der-Arguchintsev (C)
209. Carl Wassenius (C)
211. David Lilja (W)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Miller at 24 on McKenzie’s list has me optimistic.

Wilde is No. 25 on the TSN list. It goes without saying, but we’ll say it anyway, he could go higher or lower than that.

U.S. U-18 teammate K’Andre Miller, ranked one spot higher than Wilde at No. 24, is also all over the map in terms of projections, as high as 10 on one list and as low as 39 on another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad