Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Rasmus Sandin!!! Say it many times in a row starts to sound like Mats Sundin..

good thing about Sandin is that he was loaned to the OHL from Rogle so if we drafted he could go where ever we like. That may be back to the OHL but it will be our call.

oh wait he has a contract for next year with Rogle,

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
good thing about Sandin is that he was loaned to the OHL from Rogle so if we drafted he could go where ever we like. That may be back to the OHL but it will be our call.

I'd imagine if we wanted him in the AHL as soon as next season we could make it happen Walshy

I think there's a decent possibility he could be our pick with the Soo Dubas connection

Reactions: Smif

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

You can automatically buy-out any Swedish player drafted in the 1st round out of their Swedish contract if the player is amenable to it.

I'd imagine if we wanted him in the AHL as soon as next season we could make it happen Walshy

I think there's a decent possibility he could be our pick with the Soo Dubas connection
I wouldn't focus too much on the Soo connection with drafting. Hunter was connected to London much more closely than Dubas was, and in 27 picks we took all of 2 Knights and passed on many ones in that time frame (M. Tkachuk, Mete, Cliff Poo, Parsons, etc). We employ Speltz last year in a high-profile role and passed on two guys from Spokane in Yamamoto and Anderson-Dolan.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
You can automatically buy-out any Swedish player drafted in the 1st round out of their Swedish contract if the player is amenable to it.

I wouldn't focus too much on the Soo connection with drafting. Hunter was connected to London much more closely than Dubas was, and in 27 picks we took all of 2 Knights and passed on many ones in that time frame (M. Tkachuk, Mete, Cliff Poo, Parsons, etc). We employ Speltz last year in a high-profile role and passed on two guys from Spokane in Yamamoto and Anderson-Dolan.

Well that’s a plus, bit put off by the skating thing though

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

That was Hunter though and he had a large hand in putting that scouting staff together so Dubas may not be as inclined to let those guys options sway him on players he's more knowledgeable about

Like the McLeod piece out of the Athletic alluded to

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
There's a lot of guys I hope get plucked before our pick comes around, Wilde and Merkley in particular.

I don't want anything to do with Merkley in the first two rounds and I'm not sure what to make of Wilde, unbelievable tools but everything else is seriously problematic so I wouldn't touch him in the 1st either

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That was Hunter though and he had a large hand in putting that scouting staff together so Dubas may not be as inclined to let those guys options sway him on players he's more knowledgeable about

Like the McLeod piece out of the Athletic alluded to
Thing is, he shouldn't be particularly knowledgeable on the guys from the Soo unless he's heavily leaning on Raftis as he didn't draft or was there when any of the current Soo players outside the 19 and 20-year-olds were there. His last draft was the one with Katchouk and Timmins.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Thing is, he shouldn't be particularly knowledgeable on the guys from the Soo unless he's heavily leaning on Raftis as he didn't draft or was there when any of the current Soo players outside the 19 and 20-year-olds were there. His last draft was the one with Katchouk and Timmins.

Everything I read about him says he's still got close ties to the Soo organisation and if he has I think that may give Sandin an leg up because he's going to have probably seen him a fair bit of him and he's going to know fairly intimately how he's perceived inside that organisation

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Everything I read about him says he's still got close ties to the Soo organisation and if he has I think that may give Sandin an leg up because he's going to have probably seen him a fair bit of him and he's going to know fairly intimately how he's perceived inside that organisation

Doesn't necessarily mean it's a leg up for Sandin. Dubas knowing the team so well means he knows Sandin's weaknesses better than anyone. Just doesn't seem like the type of pick he'd make in the 1st, not enough ceiling and isn't really a steal or an exploitation of the market in any sense. Hopefully he's still around in the 2nd though.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
At this point, considering how wide open the draft is, I'd say its easier just to put down the guys I hope are off the board by the time we pick, so its easier to get players who I am optimistic about.

I'm curious to see Bob's final list on Monday. It could either scare me with a bunch of names I like higher than we would have expected a bit ago, or those guys could still be on the lower end.

Bound to be 1-2 guys we like left...then we just have to hope our GM picks them haha.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Bound to be 1-2 guys we like left...then we just have to hope our GM picks them haha.
I'm just waiting for Bob's list, and hoping to see K'Andre Miller in a place that is realistic enough for him to slip to us. Same with Denisenko, Bokk or Kaut (although, the heart issue if he slips is also alarming).

Reactions: LeafGrief

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Doesn't necessarily mean it's a leg up for Sandin. Dubas knowing the team so well means he knows Sandin's weaknesses better than anyone. Just doesn't seem like the type of pick he'd make in the 1st, not enough ceiling and isn't really a steal or an exploitation of the market in any sense. Hopefully he's still around in the 2nd though.

He's also got a good look at his strengths to

Sandin won't get to #52 and it tends to be later in the draft that market inefficiencies come into play more rather than the 1st round, that’s usually just BPA

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I haven't followed this at all recently but I hope it'll be someone for the long term with high skill cap for us to develop and reward us IMO. Few seasons ago I wanted everything from Shea Theodore, if there is anyone comparable to him available in our spot, I would hope we pick him up as soon as possible.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm just waiting for Bob's list, and hoping to see K'Andre Miller in a place that is realistic enough for him to slip to us. Same with Denisenko, Bokk or Kaut (although, the heart issue if he slips is also alarming).

Apparently his heart won't be a long term issue, slightly worrying but not a major at this point

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Apparently his heart won't be a long term issue, slightly worrying but not a major at this point
It's an unknown. I know scouts were speculating on it, but its really a team doctor issue and something most wouldn't talk about at length due to HIPA. I'd love him at 25, and I would hope that means he passed the tests and standards of our doctors. But, if he starts slipping into the 2nd or even to us something might be up. On the Pipeline Show Mark Edwards was saying prior to this he would have been surprised if he slipped past 20, but also voiced that scouts didn't think it was a serious issue. Although, many worry here about scouts being armchair psychologists, the idea of them being armchair cardiologists scares me more.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Think we can trade Gauthier for the 3rd pick? He's a big French centre!!! I think we have to try, I'd even throw in our first if they throw a second back. Heck, if they want they can have Leivo too, he can score!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Based on what was out there it seems like it isn't an issue but he's supposed to be addressing it with teams so if he drops, then you know why. Hopefully not an issue for the kid, talented guy.

I think 1 of them should be around, or Samuelsson would be great.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Based on what was out there it seems like it isn't an issue but he's supposed to be addressing it with teams so if he drops, then you know why. Hopefully not an issue for the kid, talented guy.

I think 1 of them should be around, or Samuelsson would be great.
I've written off Samuelsson. I like the kids game a lot. Just can't see him being a Dubas pick with how they wrote up McLeod in the Athletic. If you have safe concerns about him (who I don't think is actually that safe), than Samuelsson typifies it even more. But, at least he wasn't mentioned by name.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Yeah I really like Kaut, but he’s almost a no draft for me at 25 now. Before the heart issue I would have been completely fine to draft him. I know it’s been disclosed it’s not serious, but he would need to be BPA by a fair margin to take him in 1st round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $865.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark