Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Entry Draft Discussion: Final Countdown! Tomorrow is the big day!

Who is BPA available at 24?

• Benoit-Oliver Groulx - C

• Jacob Olofsson - C

• Dominik Bokk - C

• Ryan Merkley - RD

• Rasmus Sandin - LD

• Jett Woo -RD

• Miller LD/Samuellsson LD/Thomas LW (3/8 appearances)

• Liam Foudy - C

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If hes available, I would be happy to take Merkely at 25. I dont care if there is a 50% chance he busts, if he makes it to 25 he easily has the highest potential.

Management will do their homework and if the work ethic/attitude issues are overblown they will take him (or he will go earlier in the draft). Defense can easily be taught within a good system and Keefe/Babcock have been fantastic so far at molding players to become better all-around (Kadri, Rielly, Liljegren, etc.).

He's a good gamble to go after but I'm not privy to what his interviews looked like in recent days. He appeared to be well liked and did decently well at the U-18s as well, but not amazing or anything.

Reactions: Community

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Anyone here have any insights on Brandon Kruse or Logan Hutsko? Both smaller guys who produced at the same rate as Mittelstadt and Tkachuk in the NCAA, all of whom are 99s. Could be fantastic value picks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Anyone here have any insights on Brandon Kruse or Logan Hutsko? Both smaller guys who produced at the same rate as Mittelstadt and Tkachuk in the NCAA, all of whom are 99s. Could be fantastic value picks

Not sure about Kruse but a few people had Hutsko as a sleeper pick last year because of a serious knee injury but he went undrafted. I doubt he'll go undrafted again after a pretty good season with Boston College. He'll very likely go in the 3rd or 4th round if I'm a betting man, but maybe he'll go in the 2nd round if a team likes him enough.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
2018 U.S. Roster USA's World Junior camp roster

No Bode Wilde... weird. Alec Regula is there though.
My only guess is USA Hockey isn't happy with him, which is why we are now hearing "bad interview" and character issues around now. I heard he interviewed badly, and Pronman claimed he had conditioning issues.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
1 week out, I think my favourite is Ty Dellandrea, and I am intrigued as hell by Jake Wise. I think there may be a mini Barzal situation with him (Ranked high, dropped cause of injury). K'Andre Miller and Calen Addison have my interest, but I am not attached to either. Otherwise, there are a bunch of names I'd be fine with, but again, not attached.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
My only guess is USA Hockey isn't happy with him, which is why we are now hearing "bad interview" and character issues around now. I heard he interviewed badly, and Pronman claimed he had conditioning issues.

Seems like it. He updated his rankings to reflect a few prospects with off ice and conditioning issues, like Wilde, Tychonick and McLaughlin.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seems like it. He updated his rankings to reflect a few prospects with off ice and conditioning issues, like Wilde, Tychonick and McLaughlin.
Yeah, that's the only logical conclusion, although, they still gave him a boatload of ice-time all year. So, it's weird to send the message now.

Sort of surprised Jack Hughes was the only 2001 to get an invite. I would have thought Turcotte would have a shot at one, as he is a very strong possibility to go top 5 next year, and is better than some of the 2000's they gave invites to last year, but quickly cut at the same age (Wahlstrom and Farabee).

Edit: Didn't realize Spencer Knight also got an invite for 2001's.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Yeah, that's the only logical conclusion, although, they still gave him a boatload of ice-time all year. So, it's weird to send the message now.

Sort of surprised Jack Hughes was the only 2001 to get an invite. I would have thought Turcotte would have a shot at one, as he is a very strong possibility to go top 5 next year, and is better than some of the 2000's they gave invites to last year, but quickly cut at the same age (Wahlstrom and Farabee).

Yeah it's pretty weird. Even some questionable characters normally make these sort of camps but get cut. It's pretty rare to make the USA World Junior team if you're not on the summer camp roster I believe. Wilde must have some reaaaally bad conditioning habits, like maybe being a heavy smoker? I don't know...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Yeah it's pretty weird. Even some questionable characters normally make these sort of camps but get cut. It's pretty rare to make the USA World Junior team if you're not on the summer camp roster I believe. Wilde must have some reaaaally bad conditioning habits, like maybe being a heavy smoker? I don't know...
Bracco was believed to be in bad shape when we drafted him, and a bit difficult and he got a Summer Showcase invite. He didn't get a final camp invite because he ditched BC and the NCAA after 5 games, which is a great way to piss off USA Hockey. Although, this is a new administration.

My guess is he rubbed people at USA Hockey the wrong way. It would more likely be attitude than conditioning. If he was a good kid who just needed to work harder in the gym, they'd probably give him a break.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Bracco was believed to be in bad shape when we drafted him, and a bit difficult and he got a Summer Showcase invite. He didn't get a final camp invite because he ditched BC and the NCAA after 5 games, which is a great way to piss off USA Hockey. Although, this is a new administration.

My guess is he rubbed people at USA Hockey the wrong way. It would more likely be attitude than conditioning. If he was a good kid who just needed to work harder in the gym, they'd probably give him a break.

that is incredibly petty by USA hockey. Bracco and other players in a similar situation made decisions that they deemed best for them, to blacklist them form national teams because of it is so stupid. Assuming bracco or similar player were deemed good enough for the squad

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
that is incredibly petty by USA hockey. Bracco and other players in a similar situation made decisions that they deemed best for them, to blacklist them form national teams because of it is so stupid. Assuming bracco or similar player were deemed good enough for the squad
They put him on the 2017 team. They don't blacklist, but they encourage kids to stay in the USA system. Canada is guilty of doing exactly the same thing in reverse.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Just thought I'd throw it out there considering the positive reception to the Black Book by multiple users here. There is a discount on the Platinum pass. Gives you everything on the site. I personally, use one yearly, and have for 3 years.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
1 week out, I think my favourite is Ty Dellandrea, and I am intrigued as hell by Jake Wise. I think there may be a mini Barzal situation with him (Ranked high, dropped cause of injury). K'Andre Miller and Calen Addison have my interest, but I am not attached to either. Otherwise, there are a bunch of names I'd be fine with, but again, not attached.
I also like Wise. He would be a good pick at 25 even. I haven’t seen him play much, but i’ve read a ton on him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'd say the Wise situation as a pretty noticable difference from Barzal. Barzal was a clear top 6 or so guy entering his draft year, got passed by Marner and Strome, and then got injured (in a very stupid way). Wise wasn't viewed that highly entering the year. He really slipped as a prospect after never growing from grade 8 and being physically mature at a young age (a stocky 5'10) and then worked his way up after coming back from injury.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
2018 U.S. Roster USA's World Junior camp roster

No Bode Wilde... weird. Alec Regula is there though.

When you're tired you tend to make some bad decisions...wonder if there is a connection there? The bad interview/character issues is new....if it was just conditioning then yeah you get him some good off-ice help with training staff etc.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
When you're tired you tend to make some bad decisions...wonder if there is a connection there? The bad interview/character issues is new....if it was just conditioning then yeah you get him some good off-ice help with training staff etc.
Bad interview, is generally a code for that you confirmed the teams suspicions. I could see him being a day 2 pick at this point.

Its always worrying if a kid at the USNTDP comes out in bad shape. That program has elite facilities. Not on par with D1 college programs with D1 football teams (Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, BC, etc) but still very high end compared to where most kids are playing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Bad interview, is generally a code for that you confirmed the teams suspicions. I could see him being a day 2 pick at this point.

Its always worrying if a kid at the USNTDP comes out in bad shape. That program has elite facilities. Not on par with D1 college programs with D1 football teams (Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Penn State, BC, etc) but still very high end compared to where most kids are playing.

He had a lot of promise starting the year, big kid, right handed shot, all he tools but...the rest doesn't sound so great. Kind of reminds me of Jack Johnson (except LHD)....all the tools but no tool box apparently.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He had a lot of promise starting the year, big kid, right handed shot, all he tools but...the rest doesn't sound so great. Kind of reminds me of Jack Johnson (except LHD)....all the tools but no tool box apparently.
Very flawed player, despite having all-world skills. Hoping someone bites on him before us at this point. Means, someone else I like more is likely to slip to us.

Reactions: Smif

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Anybody know much about Swedish RhD Nils Lundkvist? Most sources place him in the second round or at best late first but they love him in the Black Book. He is number 16 there. The description of his game sounds interesting and there is a decent chance he might be available at 25.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Anybody know much about Swedish RhD Nils Lundkvist? Most sources place him in the second round or at best late first but they love him in the Black Book. He is number 16 there. The description of his game sounds interesting and there is a decent chance he might be available at 25.

He's an option...

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
After much debate with myself I have finally decided that I'd be happy with any of Miller, Dellandrea, Alexeyev, Addison, Berggren or Thomas at our pick.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He's an option...
At this point, considering how wide open the draft is, I'd say its easier just to put down the guys I hope are off the board by the time we pick, so its easier to get players who I am optimistic about.

I'm curious to see Bob's final list on Monday. It could either scare me with a bunch of names I like higher than we would have expected a bit ago, or those guys could still be on the lower end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad