Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
The NHL Combine will be held this week. Teams are able to interview players until Friday, so I imagine we'll soon hear rumors about the interviews. List of participants here.

Mark Edwards (hockeyprospect.com/NHL.com) posted an interesting tweet earlier:

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The NHL Combine will be held this week. Teams are able to interview players until Friday, so I imagine we'll soon hear rumors about the interviews. List of participants here.

Mark Edwards (hockeyprospect.com/NHL.com) posted an interesting tweet earlier:

I kinda felt same way, wouldnt be shocked if we traded down for a late 1st and earlish 2nd

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Ryan Biech (Canucksarmy) is currently doing a reverse-order top-100 ranking. Regardless of what you think about the Canucks or the ranking itself, the guy has done a yeoman's work in putting together dozens of lengthy write-ups of some draft-eligible prospects.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Extremely odd that next to no interview rumors have surfaced as of yet. IIRC, by this time last year, someone's (Ostap Safin?) entire interview schedule was posted on twitter... :laugh:

Corey Pronman tweeted this though...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Extremely odd that next to no interview rumors have surfaced as of yet. IIRC, by this time last year, someone's (Ostap Safin?) entire interview schedule was posted on twitter... :laugh:

Corey Pronman tweeted this though...

I wouldnt mind moving up to top 40 with our 2nd round pick, or down from 23 if we stay in 1st and add an extra 2nd

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Finally, some Combine stuff has surfaced. When considering some of these rumors, keep in mind that Calgary's first 2018 draft pick is in the 4th round (lol!)

List of official heights & weights
List of top-25 results per each category

Mark Scheig confirms that Anaheim has interviewed Ty Dellandrea (29 interviews). Akil Thomas had 25 interviews, no word on if the Ducks were one of them.

Isac Lundeström -- 27 interviews
Rasmus Sandin -- 27 interviews
Filip Johansson -- 27 interviews. Mark Scheig also adds: "If you're a Swede, you were popular".
Jakub Lauko -- 29 interviews
Tyler Madden -- 28 interviews
Cody Clark and Kevin Bahl -- 23 interviews each

Niklas Nordgren skipped the Combine due to illness. However, reports from Finland say that he'll do 20 interviews at the draft.
Brady Tkachuk -- 14 interviews
Blade Jenkins -- 13 interviews
Noah Dobson -- 12 interviews
Liam Kirk -- 10 interviews

Last edited:

kroypuck

Mar 23, 2018
In your guys opinion, what position do you think the Ducks target the hardest at the draft?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
In your guys opinion, what position do you think the Ducks target the hardest at the draft?

Top 6 forward with skill and speed, most likely at center but not necessarily. Dellandrea, Thomas, Ylonen, Kupari, Bokk, and Berggren seem like they would all fit the bill for us. Serron Noel feels like a typical Ducks pick as well but I think we'll have a bit of a different philosophy at the draft this year.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Speaking of, does anyone know why he isn't slated to go in the first? He's another guy, aside from Hallander, that looked to me like they should be going in the first(albeit late first). Just another late riser?

The only knocks against him I ever hear are that he plays in Mestis so he doesn't have as much exposure and that he's old for his draft year. Him being out of a lot of first rounds is as confusing as Kaut getting the same treatment.

Reactions: Exit Dose

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
The only knocks against him I ever hear are that he plays in Mestis so he doesn't have as much exposure and that he's old for his draft year. Him being out of a lot of first rounds is as confusing as Kaut getting the same treatment.

Yeah, I don't know how you justify that with Kaut. The Czechs are really churning out some great forwards, these days. I honestly don't know how there's a lack of consensus around 15 to 45, as there are clear tiers of talent in that range. Then again, there's always some scouting staffs every year that make judgments that are baffling.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Speaking of, does anyone know why he isn't slated to go in the first? He's another guy, aside from Hallander, that looked to me like they should be going in the first(albeit late first). Just another late riser?

I wrote this a month ago. His main weaknesses are his defensive game, strength in 1-on-1 battles and his shot. His Mestis status also definitely hurts his stock, as Mestis is not scouted as heavily as Liiga.

IMO this is a tough draft for Ylönen. A lot of teams are focused on the defensemen due to their exceptional abundance in this year's draft -- there are some teams that have spent years trying to find decent Dmen, this might be the perfect opportunity for them to address an area of need. There's also a lot of draft-eligible wingers, which makes it even tougher for a guy like Ylönen to make himself stand out from the pack.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Speaking of prospects that are flying under the radar, Jett Woo has fallen quite a bit (IIRC top 10 at the start of the season), but I guess that concussion issues will do that to a prospect. RHD, mobile, great defensive game. Not an overly big guy, but he has some bite to his game, definitely not shy about the rough stuff...

NucksRock

May 16, 2018
Yeah, I don't know how you justify that with Kaut. The Czechs are really churning out some great forwards, these days. I honestly don't know how there's a lack of consensus around 15 to 45, as there are clear tiers of talent in that range. Then again, there's always some scouting staffs every year that make judgments that are baffling.
Euros always take a discount because they don't get as many eyes on them. Go through past drafts on Hockey DB and its amazing how may elite Euro's go late first, second, third round

Kopitar 11th -Brule, Skille, Brian Lee (who?) went before him
Tarasenko 16th
Karlsson 16th
Pasternak 26th
Kuznetzov 26th

If anything, smart teams should be spending more on scouting europe

Last edited by a moderator:

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Euros always take a discount because they don't get as many eyes on them. Go through past drafts on Hockey DB and its amazing how may elite Euro's go late first, second, third round

Kopitar 11th -Brule, Skille, Brian Lee (who?) went before him
Tarasenko 16th
Karlson 16th
Pasternak 26th
Kuzznetzov 26th

If anything, smart teams should be spending more on scouting europe

The funny thing about Kopitar is that the Jackets were about to take him with the 6th overall when the team's owner vetoed the pick at the last minute.

Reactions: NucksRock
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad