Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Jesse Ylonen looks like a high pace player loaded with skill and played in a mens league. Would not mind him!

Ylönen is a curious case. He's got great hands and great speed, along with good size (6'1''). IMO he's not afraid of going to the net either and seems like a good passer. Primarily a skill player, he became a top-6 scorer this year, playing in Finland's second tier men's league. His play in Mestis led to him signing a 2-year Liiga contract, which kicks in next season.

The main problem with Ylönen is that he's a bit one-dimensional. He's not the best or the most eager at playing defense, plus he needs to improve his strength, to help him become better in 1-on-1 battles. He also needs to significantly improve his shot (power AND accuracy), to become more effective at higher levels.

Ylönen would indeed be an interesting project player for us. I think he's ranked somewhere in the 2nd round, but he could fall into the 3rd round, given how much depth this draft has in the first two rounds. IIRC, Ylönen was ranked as a first rounder at the start of the season in some lists...

EDIT:

Imagine if we drafted Akil Thomas with the first rounder, then Jesse Ylönen with the second. Those guys would have so much pure skating power, they could skate circles around some slower NHL players...

Last edited:

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
Imagine if we drafted Akil Thomas with the first rounder, then Jesse Ylönen with the second. Those guys would have so much pure skating power, they could skate circles around some slower NHL players...

So they'd be really good against... us? :laugh:

I watched the Akil Thomas vid you linked; at first I thought it was sped up. :D How's his IQ?

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
So they'd be really good against... us? :laugh:

I watched the Akil Thomas vid you linked; at first I thought it was sped up. :D How's his IQ?

I imagine it's pretty good, although I think our Canadian friends could give a better answer to that question. I'm under the impression that Thomas is a "Mr. Everything" type of player -- able to play multiple roles in a team, doesn't have a lot of weaknesses, plays for the logo, etc. Some have questioned his upside, but based on what little I've seen I'd say there's plenty...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Idk to be honest I'm pretty happy with whoever we get... we generally do well @ the draft even with late pick soooo I'm not going to put to much thought into it but id hope wed go for a homerun pick center with our 1st pick.... this draft seems like a good draft to maybe trade down in and go after a homerun pick... or maybe even trade up if you really like someone... I imagine there will be a lot of pick swapping @ the draft.

Reactions: Trojans86

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
We desparately need an elite center. Im usually im favor of trading down and getting more picks but our situation is begging us to try to move up and find a franchise center.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
We desparately need an elite center. Im usually im favor of trading down and getting more picks but our situation is begging us to try to move up and find a franchise center.
No. Drafting for need is a bad idea unless multiple guys are rated very close by your scouting staff. Given how well our amateur scouts do, I'd prefer letting them continue drafting as they do.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
No. Drafting for need is a bad idea unless multiple guys are rated very close by your scouting staff. Given how well our amateur scouts do, I'd prefer letting them continue drafting as they do.
Well if you trade up to get a certain player that is a different situation because you are trading for a specific guy rather than selecting a player even though he isnt at the top of your board.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

I don't think there are any clear-cut, "elite" centers in this draft. There are some "good" ones out there, but I don't know whether it'd be worth it to trade up to get one. This draft is especially strong on defensemen and wingers, plus the top-2 rounds are stacked, so IMO it'd be better to have multiple picks over one high pick.

I'd wait until the 2019 draft, as it's looking like there will be a lot of high-end centers available in that group.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If that is the case I would look to stockpile picks for that draft. You cant go far without good center depth and long term we are lacking in that area.

I don't think there are any clear-cut, "elite" centers in this draft. There are some "good" ones out there, but I don't know whether it'd be worth it to trade up to get one. This draft is especially strong on defensemen and wingers, plus the top-2 rounds are stacked, so IMO it'd be better to have multiple picks over one high pick.

I'd wait until the 2019 draft, as it's looking like there will be a lot of high-end centers available in that group.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Well if you trade up to get a certain player that is a different situation because you are trading for a specific guy rather than selecting a player even though he isnt at the top of your board.
In concept I would agree with that. But that's a decision you make on the draft floor, literally as a certain player is falling. And Bob has mentioned at times the team is always looking at that scenario. They even tried to move up in the second round to draft Gibson because of their like for the player. But when you say we should be trading up to get a center, that sounds like a plan of desperation, hoping a good center will be available with the pick you've managed to secure ahead of time. That. I don't want to see them pursue.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Lots of the elite centers in the game were not touted as one at the draft.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree. Top centers in particular tend to be drafted very high and stay with their team.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah pretty much every teams' top center either was a top 10 pick or was acquired for one (or in some cases, both!), a guy like Getzlaf is one of few exceptions(and I think even he and Kopitar were both rated top 10 going in to their drafts).

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Ducks end up with the 23rd overall pick

Ducks lost to sharks in the first round and sharks still ended up with a better draft pick 21st

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Ducks end up with the 23rd overall pick

Ducks lost to sharks in the first round and sharks still ended up with a better draft pick 21st

That's just further proof that the league does not reward for mediocrity. A team has to be really good or really bad, in order to get nice things.

Ducks' picks, as of right now:

23rd OA (1st), 54th OA (2nd), 79th OA (3rd), 85th OA (3rd), 116th OA (4th), 147th OA (5th), 178th OA (6th). Our 7th rounder (209th OA) was traded to Toronto last year, in exchange for Jhonas Enroth.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I'm not sure how a mobile 6'4 RHD has managed to fly under the radar playing in London, but Alec Regula has done just that. He exhibits a ton of raw upside, and seems to be just scraping the surface of his potential.

He was partnered with Bouchard for most of the year which makes for a nice measuring stick. Regula is definitely a lot more raw, which makes sense being a year younger and having just completed his first OHL season to Bouchard's third - but the ultimate upside with Regula may actually be greater due to his superior skating.

He's a strong defender who showed an increasing amount of offensive confidence throughout the year. Definitely a player I'd be thrilled for us to land in the 2nd round, could be a home run pick.

Reactions: Getzmonster

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I'm not sure how a mobile 6'4 RHD has managed to fly under the radar playing in London, but Alec Regula has done just that. He exhibits a ton of raw upside, and seems to be just scraping the surface of his potential.

He was partnered with Bouchard for most of the year which makes for a nice measuring stick. Regula is definitely a lot more raw, which makes sense being a year younger and having just completed his first OHL season to Bouchard's third - but the ultimate upside with Regula may actually be greater due to his superior skating.

He's a strong defender who showed an increasing amount of offensive confidence throughout the year. Definitely a player I'd be thrilled for us to land in the 2nd round, could be a home run pick.

Maybe he got tips from Artyom Minulin, on how to remain unnoticed? :dunno:

I remember I lurked the London board a while ago, and their fans were all unanimously praising Regula. Sure sounds like a great pick...

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
That's just further proof that the league does not reward for mediocrity. A team has to be really good or really bad, in order to get nice things.

Ducks' picks, as of right now:

23rd OA (1st), 54th OA (2nd), 79th OA (3rd), 85th OA (3rd), 116th OA (4th), 147th OA (5th), 178th OA (6th). Our 7th rounder (209th OA) was traded to Toronto last year, in exchange for Jhonas Enroth.

This isn't a bad list. Sure, everyone wants the obvious guys but got
- Rakell at #30, Theodore at #26, Larsson at #27, Jones at #24
- Monty at #55,
- Mahura at #85, Freddy at #87

Drake Batherson went at 121 last year. There are tons of good players in that rounds. In this league you have to do your homework!

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
This isn't a bad list. Sure, everyone wants the obvious guys but got
- Rakell at #30, Theodore at #26, Larsson at #27, Jones at #24
- Monty at #55,
- Mahura at #85, Freddy at #87

Drake Batherson went at 121 last year. There are tons of good players in that rounds. In this league you have to do your homework!
I honestly don't mind where we pick so much... our 1st round picks usually work out, and we seem to have a pretty good read into players deeper in the draft that we can potentially steal/develop.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

Thanks for sharing that. I'll have to find some time to watch the entire video...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad