Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
For some reason, I thought the draft order for playoff teams was set by how far they advance, yet SJ is picking ahead of us?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
For some reason, I thought the draft order for playoff teams was set by how far they advance, yet SJ is picking ahead of us?

The Stanley Cup winner (31), finalist (30), and the two Conference finalists (29/28) receive the last four slots, the rest of the order is based on the regular season.

It was one reason to root for San Jose and Pittsburgh, if they had made the conference finals our pick would have improved.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Just finished up the mock draft, the draftwired site is great, very easy to navigate and an awesome format for these quick mocks. I'd recommend it to the mods for their annual mock draft. Here's what I came up with...

1-23 - C Barrett Hayton - Soo (OHL) - Didn't really expect him to still be on the board, still considered going with Kupari who may have more electric offensive upside but I think Hayton is going to be a very good player and perhaps one of the quickest from this draft to contribute. Skilled, smart and mature defensively.

2-54 - C Cameron Hillis - Guelph (OHL) Posted a video of him a couple pages back, he's a high IQ playmaker who really came on after some early struggles. More quick and agile than speedy, sees the layers of the ice very well and has the soft hands to operate in all offensive situations.

3-79 - RW Dimitri Zavgorodny - Rimouski (QMJHL)- So I would have went Alec Regula here, as he was my next in line at 54, but I had to step away and got auto picked Zavgorodny. He's an interesting prospect though, if not someone the Ducks would likely target given recent history. A diminutive winger with some pretty electric offensive highlights, he's very quick, agile and skilled with the puck. Definitely more of a shooter, very quick release.

3-85 - RD Alec Regula - London (OHL) - Brought him up recently, really don't think he's going to last to the late 3rd round. Mobile 6'4 RHD with pretty strong defensive insticts and increasing offensive confidence, but raw and erratic in terms of decision making with the puck. A very tantalizing project with a ton of upside.

4-116- C Nathan Dunkley - London (OHL)- Quick, tenacious center with a strong, stocky build and underrated offensive abilities. Great on the forecheck, and has the hands and vision to generate chances. Definitely can see him becoming a strong defensive contributor at the next level and possibly more.

5-147- LW Bulat Shafigullin - Russian winger gaining some late traction as a big time offensive prospect. Very obvious tools (skating, puck handling, shot, size) and his numbers compare favorably to Kucherov's at the same age and level.

6-178 - RD Michael Kesselring - Scouting report would read similar to Regula's, but likely even more raw and inexperienced. Mobile, lanky 6'4 RHD who is headed to Merrimack (NCAA).

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
^ Good stuff. The fact that Dunkley somehow went in round 4 in that mock really shows you, how much depth there is in this draft...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Just finished up the mock draft, the draftwired site is great, very easy to navigate and an awesome format for these quick mocks. I'd recommend it to the mods for their annual mock draft. Here's what I came up with...

1-23 - C Barrett Hayton - Soo (OHL) - Didn't really expect him to still be on the board, still considered going with Kupari who may have more electric offensive upside but I think Hayton is going to be a very good player and perhaps one of the quickest from this draft to contribute. Skilled, smart and mature defensively.

2-54 - C Cameron Hillis - Guelph (OHL) Posted a video of him a couple pages back, he's a high IQ playmaker who really came on after some early struggles. More quick and agile than speedy, sees the layers of the ice very well and has the soft hands to operate in all offensive situations.

3-79 - RW Dimitri Zavgorodny - Rimouski (QMJHL)- So I would have went Alec Regula here, as he was my next in line at 54, but I had to step away and got auto picked Zavgorodny. He's an interesting prospect though, if not someone the Ducks would likely target given recent history. A diminutive winger with some pretty electric offensive highlights, he's very quick, agile and skilled with the puck. Definitely more of a shooter, very quick release.

3-85 - RD Alec Regula - London (OHL) - Brought him up recently, really don't think he's going to last to the late 3rd round. Mobile 6'4 RHD with pretty strong defensive insticts and increasing offensive confidence, but raw and erratic in terms of decision making with the puck. A very tantalizing project with a ton of upside.

4-116- C Nathan Dunkley - London (OHL)- Quick, tenacious center with a strong, stocky build and underrated offensive abilities. Great on the forecheck, and has the hands and vision to generate chances. Definitely can see him becoming a strong defensive contributor at the next level and possibly more.

5-147- LW Bulat Shafigullin - Russian winger gaining some late traction as a big time offensive prospect. Very obvious tools (skating, puck handling, shot, size) and his numbers compare favorably to Kucherov's at the same age and level.

6-178 - RD Michael Kesselring - Scouting report would read similar to Regula's, but likely even more raw and inexperienced. Mobile, lanky 6'4 RHD who is headed to Merrimack (NCAA).
Not bad... i think i woulda taken kupari... i somewhat expect us to grab another goalie this draft

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017

I would have taken Lundeström with the #23 maybe even Jay O'Brien (I think he may end up being a big surprise).

I really like the later picks you made!

Last edited:

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
^ Good stuff. The fact that Dunkley somehow went in round 4 in that mock really shows you, how much depth there is in this draft...

CSB has him ranked way down lower than that for some reason too. I've been noticing this year more than ever that they seem to have some really odd rankings, like Berggren as the #30 European skater.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
More I think about it unless veleno/kupari or kotkaniemi fall down to our position... I like Akil Thomas with our 1st pick. I wouldn't mind of olofsson falls to us in the 2nd round also.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Not bad... i think i woulda taken kupari... i somewhat expect us to grab another goalie this draft

I usually try and make a point to select a goalie but just went with my top ranked guy at each spot this time. It seems like a pretty strong class of goalies though, definitely a few worth taking a shot at in the middle or late rounds. I liked Justus Annunen at the U18s, he's huge and seems to be well coordinated and sound. Jacob Ingham had a rough year but he's another big kid and a very athletic.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
I usually try and make a point to select a goalie but just went with my top ranked guy at each spot this time. It seems like a pretty strong class of goalies though, definitely a few worth taking a shot at in the middle or late rounds. I liked Justus Annunen at the U18s, he's huge and seems to be well coordinated and sound. Jacob Ingham had a rough year but he's another big kid and a very athletic.

Annunen would be an interesting long-term project player. IMO he's one of the few modern-era Finnish goalies that I've been somewhat impressed by. His occasional puck juggling had me tearing my hair out during the U18 games though...

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Annunen would be an interesting long-term project player. IMO he's one of the few modern-era Finnish goalies that I've been somewhat impressed by. His occasional puck juggling had me tearing my hair out during the U18 games though...
Gibsons young and eirksson ek looks promising im completley okay with a project style euro goalie.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Martin Kaut appears to be a Duck type of player, in a mold of Silvferberg (smart 2 way player with scoring upside). But if a player from the scouts top tiers / groupings doesn't drop to us, do you guys think the Ducks would be able to grab Detroit picks #32 and #36 for the 23rd pick? Maybe the Wings want to move up for a Russian Like Denisenko or Alexeeyev... I think there are a number of interesting upside players from 30-50 range that we can grab.

How about this mock?

2CFoudyCANHe can add much needed speed, and appears to have offensive upside AND a center to boot. We haven't had a guy with this type of speed since Selanne. Every contending seem to have one of these types of players.
2DBahlDI know big dmen aren't very sexy, but every team still needs those defensive guys who are hard to play against. He showed some offensive upside in the prospects game and seem to be known as the most advanced defensive player like a bigger Vlasic.
2WNordgrenFINEvery team but the ducks have those Arvidsson, Marchessault, Johnson relentless, high compete, offensive-type of players. We love FINs, so could he be one?
3CDouglasCANDucks still love size. Can he be a Brian Boyle faceoff-role player who plays well along the boards and good at setting up screens in front of the net? His videos show that he can use this length to create better shooting angles like Perry, and he seems faster than he appears.
3GDostalCZEWould be nice to add more goalie depth if Gibson doesn't prove himself as a playoff performer in the next 2-3 years.
4DHarrisUSADucks love to draft US prospects and he has that two way ability that our scouts seem to specialize in. He sounds like an Oduya or Leddy type of player.
5WA. ErikssonSWEDucks almost always draft a Swede. Albin looks like an interesting upside pick. Or maybe they go with an overager that showed vast improvement like LinusNyman / Logan Hutsko.
6CWongCANI'd like the Ducks to go for an asian minority :). Can he improve his skill to become a Roussel, Shaw, pest player? Or at least another Chris Wagner?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
^ My opinion on trading down depends heavily on who's still on the board. If Veleno, Kotkaniemi, Thomas and Bokk, for example, are all off the board by the time our 23rd overall pick is on the clock, I'd explore the option of trading down.

That said, I think Detroit is severely overpaying in your proposed deal. Getting the 36th overall pick for moving down 9 spots is insane value for our first rounder. If Detroit is willing to dangle those two picks to try and move up, I think they could get a much better pick than our 23rd overall. Besides, Detroit already has two firsts in this draft, one of them being the 6th overall pick, so I doubt the Wings would be that desperate to move up...

If anyone was interested in swapping two seconds for a first, it'd be Montreal IMO. They have 3OA and four second round picks (35, 38, 56 and WSH pick, either 61 or 62) in this year's draft, IMO 23 for 38 and 56 (or 35 and 61/62) would be a more reasonable basis for a deal. Again, this is under the assumption that some of the prospects we'd be interested in are already gone, and that there's someone available that MTL is really high on.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I had Anaheim on the Flyers board mock draft and I just finished up. Outside of the first two rounds I really didn't know what I was doing but, I thought I'd share it.

1(23) Anaheim Ducks - Isac Lundeström, C | Luleå HF, SHL
2(54) Anaheim Ducks - Nicolas Beaudin, D | Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL
3(79) Anaheim Ducks - Kirill Marchenko, LW | Mamonty Yugry, MHL
3(85) Anaheim Ducks - Johnny Gruden LW/C | U.S. National U18 Team , USDP
4(116) Anaheim Ducks - Krystof Hrabik, RW/C | Liberec U20, CzechU20
5 (147) Anaheim Ducks - Linus Nyman, LW/RW | Kingston Frontenacs, OHL
6(178) Anaheim Ducks - Simon Johansson, D | Djurgårdens IF J20, SuperElit

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Looks like a Ducks draft except the Marchenko pick, especially the Beaudin and Gruden picks. I’m hoping for more finishing and offensive upside this year though. Lundstrom sounds like he might a tweener type of player that ends up being a depth guy only.

Still hoping the Ducks pulls off a trade down and get lucky with a Rakell/Gibson type of return haha.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Max Paddock sure is making a case to move up some goalie rankings for this year's draft. Won't turn 18 until about a week before the draft, and looking cool as a cucumber on this big stage. I'd be happy if we used a late pick on him.

gilfaizon

Mar 28, 2012
PEI
Max Paddock sure is making a case to move up some goalie rankings for this year's draft. Won't turn 18 until about a week before the draft, and looking cool as a cucumber on this big stage. I'd be happy if we used a late pick on him.

Reminds me a lot of the guy in your picture tonight

Reactions: Getz2perry
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

I really don't know what to think of Paddock. Played well down the stretch and was amazing at times throughout the tournament but never really showed much beforehand and was really only in that spot because Regina had a terrible goaltending situation. Pronman didn't even have him in his top 16(top 10 and 6 that missed the cut) and I have a feeling he'll get overrated because of the tournament.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I've caught a couple of his regular season games so far and he hadn't really impressed in any of them. From what I've seen of him so far, he's got some potential as a project pick, but he's very inconsistent and has a ways to go before he reaches an NHL-caliber level of play. Lots of puck juggling, and save for the last two periods of the championship game, he doesn't track the puck very well. Positioning is rough, as is his technique. He's shown little glimpses of NHL potential but I'm just not all that convinced that he'll ever be able to hold it steady long enough to earn at least a semi-permanent NHL gig. Of course, we're evaluating a goalie here, and what Paddock looks like now might be vastly different than what he looks like when he's 23 or 24. But as far as what he's shown so far, I'm not too comfortable with using a pick on him, even a late one.

Reactions: Exit Dose

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I really don't know what to think of Paddock. Played well down the stretch and was amazing at times throughout the tournament but never really showed much beforehand and was really only in that spot because Regina had a terrible goaltending situation. Pronman didn't even have him in his top 16(top 10 and 6 that missed the cut) and I have a feeling he'll get overrated because of the tournament.
Sounds as though he struggled through some injuries this season. Definitely a later round type prospect though.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I mean if hes around in the later rounds and we havnt gotten a goalie I wouldn't mind taking a stab at him.... saw a bit of him at the tourney and looked pretty solid... obviously small sample size tho.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I mean if hes around in the later rounds and we havnt gotten a goalie I wouldn't mind taking a stab at him.... saw a bit of him at the tourney and looked pretty solid... obviously small sample size tho.

Oh yeah, absolutely. With Steel and Mahura there I'm sure our guys saw plenty of him too and I really trust them more than anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad