GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
We need a franchise D-man more than anything. I'll go with Dahlin, a potential Karlsson.
I'm fine with Petersson/Horvat/Gaudette as our top 3 centers in the future.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Svechnikov is amazing. We neeeeed a homer this draft so bad it's ridiculous.

Those OHL highlights ,last night of Svechnikov with Barrie were insane.....kid is a wizard with the puck and that shot is already Ovechkin-lite....part of me worries about the Yakupov-Burmistrov effect.

But having Pettersson and Svechnikov on the same line would be sublime.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
How much safer projection can you get about someone, D or not, who with 16 years, is playing well against men?

Liljegren? Kylington?

Those guys are still good prospects. But not the home-runs they were once thought to be.

I think Dahlin is a cut above, but it may be the case he's just well-developed for his age, and others will catch up to him.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Liljegren? Kylington?

Those guys are still good prospects. But not the home-runs they were once thought to be.

I think Dahlin is a cut above, but it may be the case he's just well-developed for his age, and others will catch up to him.

I dont think thats even a close comparison. Thats like comparing Crosby to Nugent-Hopkins. Obviously he could still bust as every prospect can but I think he is pretty special.

Pronman also appears to be very high on him like pretty much everyon else:

Dahlin is one of the best defense prospects I'e ever seen, in fact, I'm in tough to think of a better one that's come around in the last few decades who was more impressive entering their 17-year-old season.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I dont think thats even a close comparison. Thats like comparing Crosby to Nugent-Hopkins. Obviously he could still bust as every prospect can but I think he is pretty special.

Pronman also appears to be very high on him like pretty much everyon else:

For the record, I would take Dahlin #1 overall right now. I don't think he'll bust, and I think he's the clear best prospect in the draft right now.

Your question though, was basically "how can anyone who is 16 and playing in the SHL bust"? And you answered it. They can. And not all guys who were 16 and in the SHL are still as highly touted as they once were.

I also think your analogy is off. This isn't Crosby to RNH. In their D-1 seasons, Liljegren and Kylington were like consensus top-two picks. Then tumbled down the rankings. In their D-1s, I don't think they were viewed as "inferior" to what Dahlin is right now.

Things can change. And Svech does look like a monster as well.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Liljegren? Kylington?

Pretty much this. Still too early to say definitively one or the other, but at this point I would lean Svechnikov as a safer bet. In traditional HF rankings, think of Dahlin as a 9C and Svechnikov as a 9B.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Seems like Dahlin's hype is way ahead of where Kylington or Liljegren ever were. Closer to, or maybe even ahead of, where Hedman was going into his draft year (just to pick out Swede d-man for comparison).

Beating out Svechnikov in Mckenzie's poll of nhl scouts is a pretty big statement. I'd say Svechnikov is at least on Patrick's level going into last year, and Liljegren was just one of a bunch of potential #2's behind Patrick going into a down draft year.

A lot can, and will, change but we'd be damn lucky to even have to make this choice. When have the Canucks ever been damn lucky?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Liljegren? Kylington?

Kylington and Liljegren both have terrible hockey IQ which will impact their effectiveness or all together cause them to bust.

Dahlin is definitely on another level when it comes to IQ, hands, the power of his skating and his stickhandling. He's on the Matthews/Eichel/Laine tier imo.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Jesperi Kotkaniemi has been underrated by scouts just like Hischier and Pettersson were this time last year. He'll be top 5 imo, reminds me of Draisaitl. 6'2-6'3 frame with elite vision and a great release on his shot. Just turned 17 two months ago.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
For the record, I would take Dahlin #1 overall right now. I don't think he'll bust, and I think he's the clear best prospect in the draft right now.

Your question though, was basically "how can anyone who is 16 and playing in the SHL bust"? And you answered it. They can. And not all guys who were 16 and in the SHL are still as highly touted as they once were.

I also think your analogy is off. This isn't Crosby to RNH. In their D-1 seasons, Liljegren and Kylington were like consensus top-two picks. Then tumbled down the rankings. In their D-1s, I don't think they were viewed as "inferior" to what Dahlin is right now.

Things can change. And Svech does look like a monster as well.

Nope that wasnt my question. I questioned you comparison of Dahlin to Kylington and Liljegren which in my option is just far off from reality.

Just because the other were also highly ranked a year before the draft doesnt mean much. This years draft was lacking high end talent which everyone knew about, that by 2016 Liljegren was 2nd behind Patrick isnt all that earth shattering. As for Kylington, I seriously doubt he was a consencus top-two pick at any time. This was the McDavid/Eichel draft and that was quite clear in 2014 already. He wasnt even the concensus #1 defender by that time as Hanifin and Werenski were already listed equal or similar. Hockeyprospects had him at 8 while FutureConsiderations and Mckeens listed him at #6.

Maybe its just me since i follow that kid for more than a year now but then again pretty much every report from Button to Pronman to Hockeyprospect are extremly high on Dahlin. Even at just 16years old he made plays that probably 90% of the NHL defenders can only dream of doing and he his darn good defensivly as well. I just dont know what else you could want in a defenseman prospect.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Nope that wasnt my question. I questioned you comparison of Dahlin to Kylington and Liljegren which in my option is just far off from reality.

Just because the other were also highly ranked a year before the draft doesnt mean much. This years draft was lacking high end talent which everyone knew about, that by 2016 Liljegren was 2nd behind Patrick isnt all that earth shattering. As for Kylington, I seriously doubt he was a consencus top-two pick at any time. This was the McDavid/Eichel draft and that was quite clear in 2014 already. He wasnt even the concensus #1 defender by that time as Hanifin and Werenski were already listed equal or similar. Hockeyprospects had him at 8 while FutureConsiderations and Mckeens listed him at #6.

Maybe its just me since i follow that kid for more than a year now but then again pretty much every report from Button to Pronman to Hockeyprospect are extremly high on Dahlin. Even at just 16years old he made plays that probably 90% of the NHL defenders can only dream of doing and he his darn good defensivly as well. I just dont know what else you could want in a defenseman prospect.

Uhh, nothing. I literally said I would take him first overall. I think he will be that good.

My points was, things can change. And no prospect is a certainty. There is risk in every selection.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Loving seeing Lind/Gadjovich playing well as 2nd picks.

I know it's quite wishful thinking but I'd love for the Canucks to draft dman in the 2nd Rd/3rd Rd in 2018 that can do the same. Preferably someone with a little more size/beefiness. Not sure they have that in the system on the blueline yet.

Reactions: AlexEdler23

ItalianCanuck1

Italian Canuck
Mar 8, 2016
Italy
Loving seeing Lind/Gadjovich playing well as 2nd picks.

I know it's quite wishful thinking but I'd love for the Canucks to draft dman in the 2nd Rd/3rd Rd in 2018 that can do the same. Preferably someone with a little more size/beefiness. Not sure they have that in the system on the blueline yet.

Brandon Carlo 2.0?

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Brandon Carlo 2.0?
Colton Parayko is the guy that keeps popping into my head. And yes I know it's a pipe dream lol.

2 dmen currently rated in the middle to late 1st Rd by Pronman that I'm going to watch closely are Bode Wilde and Jett Woo (and not just because they have all time names).

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Decent projection. Not sure Detroit does that well
636421908125696043-nhl-standings-projections-2017-18-v2.jpg

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Watching the American top prospect game (or whatever that thing was called) a few guys jumped out at me, but the 1 guy who fits Calgary Canuck's criteria as big d'man who has legit top 4 NHL upside (but considered a 2cnd roundr) was K'andre Miller.

Great skater, and a lot better than what I had read in scouting reports as far as his hockey sense and defensive ability. Likely will rise to be a late 1'st rounder, so like Wilde and Jett Woo, will be guys we have no shot at unless we move somebody to get another 1st round pick.

Miller looks like a player who's on another level from guys like the 2 Samuelson's, who need to work on their skating asap, Miller is somewhat on the same level as Wilde from what I saw. I wouldn't take him over Wilde in a draft, but he's close to that level.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Well...coming up to the deadline, if we move our players to teams that are just on the cusp of a playoff spot...is it poor form to hope they fail miserably and we get a lottery pick or two out of the deal?

I mean the usual Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson shopping could be done, but a package of some of our forwards like Sutter, Vanek, Baertschi or Granlund (hear me out...) could collect something. Who knows, if Markstrom has a hell of a year, and Demko makes a case to start some NHL games midway through the season...another sell off could get us one of those 10-20th finishing teams picks.

The optimists when it comes to the draft and tank would look at this is two (or more) possible first overall picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille