GDT: 2018 NHL Draft

Who do the Canucks choose: Dobson or Boqvist?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Loving this draft class. Not going to get my hopes up like 2017 but I can hope we finish last place.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Theres another tkachuk!?

Whiffed on both nylanders and both tkachuks. Boo urns

Wha? Brady Tkachuk hasn't been drafted yet.

Though, THOUGH

43f765870c002c990d2ae6487aaabe48.png

We can potentially go not just two-for-two, but three-for-three

JA

Steve Kournianos just released his initial 2018 list featuring 62 ranked players. This should serve as a starting point.

http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2018-nhl-draft-top-62-rankings-and-watch-list/

It's worth noting that Filip Zadina was drafted by the Vancouver Giants fourth-overall in the 2016 CHL Import Draft. He stated that his intention was to play in the Czech Extraliga last season and then in Sweden afterward, so the Giants relinquished their rights.

http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/junior-hockey/giants-give-up-on-zadina-plan-waive-ballyhooed-czech-winger
Giants give up on Zadina plan, waive ballyhooed Czech winger
Steve Ewen
Published:
October 10, 2016
Updated:
October 10, 2016 11:57 AM PDT

The Vancouver Giants are no longer chasing Filip Zadina.

The Giants announced Monday morning on Twitter that they are keeping Slovak winger Radovan Bondra and Russian defenceman Dmitry Osipov on their roster, which is the long way of saying that they’re going to waive Zadina, the hotshot Czech winger they selected fourth overall in this summer’s CHL Import Draft.

The Giants are saying that Zadina signed a deal with a team in Sweden.

WHL teams are permitted two Europeans usually. With Osipov in his over-age year and eligible to play in minor pro, Vancouver was allowed to select a third in the draft and have all three on their roster for a short period. They had until today to decide which two they were keeping. They would have had to move out either Osipov or Bondra to keep Zadina on their roster even if he remained in Europe.

Zadina, who starred at the Ivan Hlinka tournament this summer and is getting buzz as a possible early selection in the 2018 NHL Draft, told the Giants he wanted to try to play in the Czech pro league this season with HC Dynamo Pardubice. He was held without a point through seven games, and now comes word about Sweden.

He and his camp had put that possibility out going into the draft, according to various parties around the WHL.

Last edited by a moderator:

JA

The Vancouver Giants have selected center Miloš Roman with the sixth-overall selection in the 2017 CHL Import Draft. Roman was ranked eleventh-overall on The Draft Analyst's preliminary ranking of 2018 NHL draft-eligible players. SBNation ranks him as an A-rank player. He is currently 6'0'', 194 lbs and was born on November 6, 1999.

2467436_1000x.jpeg

The photo above was taken from Slovakia's 2017 U18 camp. Below is the team photo:

2474832_1200x.jpeg

Andrei Svechnikov was selected by the Barrie Colts with the first-overall selection. Alexander Khovanov was selected second-overall by Moncton.

Filip Zadina was selected eleventh-overall by Halifax.

The full list of selections: http://chl.ca/draft/2017

The Draft Analyst's 2018 preliminary rankings: http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/2018-nhl-draft-top-62-rankings-and-watch-list/

SBNation's 2018 Draft "Players To Watch" June 2017 list: https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/6/26/15424034/2018-nhl-draft-first-look-players-to-watch
I'm very impressed by him at this WJC. He reminds me of Sam Reinhart. Not such a great playmaker as Sam yet, but he still have a lot of time until 2018 draft.
Absolutely loved Roman at the U18s. He really stood out among 2017 draft prospects despite being a year younger and looked like a potential top-15 pick at times. Wouldn't hurt to grow another inch or two, but man is he talented. An excellent skater with outstanding hockey sense and a ton of skill.

Last edited by a moderator:

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
My early pick besides the top two is Merkley, that highlight on the first goal posted just shows so much talent. the edge and skating the sick hands to walk the high forward, puck protection vision and hockey IQ were all shown off there. Super interested to see the Draft year for a few. Hoping to try and watch more hockey than I did this year.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
This is the year, book it.

we finish last. Now to just get the #1 overall pick.

Benning is fired, Linden stays on and nothing improves (end of seasons)

I also envision, Edler being traded at the deadline and the Sedins calling it a career before the next draft.

going to be a big year for Canucks fans !!!

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
I am done with the lottery. just play the games hard and compete as best we can

and we pick where we pick. lots of D men next year.

I am sure we will get another good foundation piece

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
Long ways a way but I would like us to go D heavy this draft.

Dahlen, Merkley, McIssac, Hughes, Wilde, Woo, Boqvist, Alexeyev.

Wouldnt mind trying to grab 2 of the named, really help our D prospect pool take the next step like our forward group has.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
No Russians please! Seems high pick Russians haven't been panning out and don't want to deal with the KHL, mother Russia, or if they don't like Canada and flee home to their GF.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
No Russians please! Seems high pick Russians haven't been panning out and don't want to deal with the KHL, mother Russia, or if they don't like Canada and flee home to their GF.

I'd check the % of Russian players that bolt to Russian, then cross reference that with the number of good Russian players that do it.

It's a concern, but you take this Russian every, single, time, if he's there and Dahlin is not.

Also, yea, **** Bure ?

/picardfacepalm.gif

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I want Brady!

Dahlen - Pettersson - Boeser
Tkachuk - Horvat - Goldobin
Virtanen - Sutter - Lind
Gadojvich - Gaudette - Lockwood

Because everyone in fun land makes the NHL.

y u no include Cassels coz he was a lock just as much as most of these guys are

-------

I hope we finally trade everything of value for all the picks in the this draft. I'm even okay with just our 1st rounder. Give me all the 2nds and 3rds.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Because everyone in fun land makes the NHL.

y u no include Cassels coz he was a lock just as much as most of these guys are

-------

I hope we finally trade everything of value for all the picks in the this draft. I'm even okay with just our 1st rounder. Give me all the 2nds and 3rds.

Because we only like Meat and potato Benning players now. Subban and Cassels can be shipped off for a 3rd each.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Watched Brady Tkachuck, not too overly impressed as a top 5 prospect.

His skating is clunky, seems like a center who just stands in front of the net much like his brother. Talented for sure, but I don't exactly see him being better then Horvat. Kind of Rasmussen was advertised as tbh. Rather we take a top pick on someone with high end ceiling rather then Tkachuck who I do not think has that high of a ceiling, mostly due to his skating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad